Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Needs Help! Sputtering Engine

205WRC

DEAR GOD WHERE DO I BEGIN!!! Ok what started out as a simple clutch bleeding operation has turned into a nightmare. . .

Prior to bleeding the clutch I removed the Battery and the aftermarket induction kit. Once the clutch was bled and all bits re-assembled I drove the car for about 1 minute before it started to sound like a crappy impreza and drive like a kids pedal car. Im aware that disconecting the Battery causes an ecu reset and Im also aware that it takes some 30-40 key starts for the comp to re-learn. I did the key starts and no joy I even reset the ECU again and did all the key turns incase I did something wrong the first time and still no joy.

Its sounds like its running on 3 cylinders . . prior to the clutch bleed this baby was capable of time travel and there were no symptoms of any kind so it must be something that took place during or after the bleed . .any ideas? Its an import WRC model so on the offchance I did something silly like put normal unleaded in I put octane boost and 20 quids worth of super in on top and still no joy . . .PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY!!!

after you check leads and plugs check the compression. may just be a coincidence that engine has failed at same time. good luck

Yeh I have tried to put the knackered angine scenario in the back of my mind lol . . .Had coincidentally ordered some Iridium plugs so will start there and check the leads etc however the symptoms lead me elsewhere. It runs ok til it gets to around operating temp then starts playing up. It sputters and stinks of petrol and I also get very infrequent plume of white smoke. When its like this the turbo really doesn't want to spool up its like when the fuel cut kicks in but not as brutal. Good it driving me nuts . . . Hmm I did use a jet wash a couple of days prior messing about under the bonnet . . I wonder wot could have got wet?

have you checked for error codes? sounds like over fueling, and normal unleaded wont cause that much of a difference.

any oil in the dump valve?

Ok I haven't had a chance to look at the plugs,cap or dump valve etc yet as i've been at work. However I did get 5 mins to check the Error Codes and it was a regular flashing which if memory serves means nothing wrong as far as the ECU is concerned and when I got under the bonnet to do this I noticed this little fella hanging down next to the after market induction kit . . .

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/S...28052008298.jpg

Could this be the IAT sensor maybe? Could this little bugger be the source of my problems? Where does he live ?Please let me know. . .

that used to plug into the standard airbox. when i 1st got my car it was hanging out of the box too. i dont think this would cause the engine to run like that.

could b as simple as 1 of the spark plugs is failing. check all the usuall signs for big probs ie smoke coming from the dip stick when u remove it with the engine running. same goes for oil cap and oil in the dump valve. these things u can check for on ur lunch break.

i would think it would be leads or spark plug. fingers crossed it is.

When I first read your post and you mentioned removing the induction kit I thought of that sensor. I'd definitely get it back in there as I think it could have a profound effect.

Where should I stick it? (No rude answer please ^^) Just inside the induction kit? There's no port on the pipe of the filter itself and unfortunately I didn't do my usual cautinary move of photographing the layout before i fiddled. If indeed this is IAT sensor from wot i understand of their function it would indeed have an effect but i dont know if it is or it isn't . . .

Update: Half an hour after writing this 1st paragraph i took the car out to get it up to temp and check the dipstick and oil cap for smoke etc and here's is wot i noted

Firstly no sign of water in the oil or oil in the water, no smoke from dipstick or oil cap so at least that much is encouraging

Wot I didn't really notice or mention before and could be quite important is that when the car starts from cold and drives it goes like like the "proverbial off a shovel" as usual only when it reaches normal operating temp does it start playing up . . .and also noticed today when it does start playing up it STINKS of petrol and theres little whisps of white smoke from the exhaust . . .is this a fueling issue?

as i mentioned before i think it is an over fueling problem. but i also stated that this sensor wouldnt cause that much bother. i have drove my gt four with this sesor out of the box before and i think when you have an induction kit i place the sensor as close to the filter as poss. If it is intake temp sensor then if its sittin loose then chances are that the temp it is taken are very close to what the induction kit is suckin in anyway. I think you need to look else where. maybe you have hit another sensor somewhere when working on it before.

you shouldnt be able to smell petrol and white smoke usually points to condensation and over fueling it should only last about 10 mins from start up.

to be honest i would expect error code 25 if u had damaged something to cause over fueling and if the intake air temp sensor was damaged then i would expect code 24

are you sure there isnt a pipe or something loose from the work carried out? as i said before i would expect error codes if a sensor had failed.

like led sed, cant see that sensor giving much trouble. i had mine out for about a fortnight when i put my induction kit on. but if you want to refit it, just drill a 14mm diameter hole in the air intake after the air filter. you will nedd a 15 mm diameter grommet, available from most auto shops. unless you have the standard airbox kicking around, then the grommet will be in there. the sensor just pokes into the grommet.

good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links