Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Free Play

mintor

h i am new can any body tell me how to check free play on clutgh as just got 2003 53 rav xt3 dtd not used to clutch so far at bottom only have to loose clutch up seems like a inch then drive is this right or is adjustment out i have seen post about clutch but dont say how to measure

Hello Mintor and welcome to the forum (as they no doubt said in Rome)

I have a 2.0l petrol and the first thing that struck me (and indeed one of the things the dealer mentioned when I picked up the Rav4) was that the clutch bites early. It took me a little while to get used to it - stalled it a couple of times, too - but it is just that, getting used to it. Other, more technically competent, people will be able to comment, I'm sure, but meanwhile I hope you do enjoy your new Rav4

Robert

Hi mintor and welcome to the club.

You haven't said if you have a petrol or diesel so here are both;

Dslclutch.jpg

So for right hand drive the spec is a complete travel of 176 to 186mm, the free play should be 5 - 15mm and the bite point should be greater than 25mm from the floor. You can apply the same method of measurement to the petrol;

Gasclutch.jpg

A couple of things to remember. The RAV is a biggish car with 4WD so it is furnished with quite a strong clutch. Some people do comment about them biting low and some about them being fierce. In most cases it is a matter of use and after time becomes unnoticeable.

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links