Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Anyone Know?

wurboman

:D Will Rev2 standard springs fit my Rev3 both being of the turbo variety...lol. Ive found some but need to know before i buy!

Please help....

Oh and a set of 18" alloys... :P

I believe the springs from all models will fit any other so you shouldnt have a problem. As for the 18's they will fit but it'll kill the handling of the car.

:ffs: Why? What will it be like.... I can imagine its bumpy..but it shouldnt be any worse than 17"s? I hope its not going to be that bad!

Anyone else got any idea what its gonna b like?

16's and 17's are ok and look superb while holding the handling of the car, anything larger although looking superb will make the ride and handling of the car a mare :( If your not worried about a nasty ride but would prefer looking great go for the 18's....

:crybaby: Cheers for the advice... but i really want BIG rims!! But still scared of the nasty ride.. :arrgg-matey: Do you know anybody that has or has had 18"s on there mr2? and have they still got them? Id hate to think what the GREEN mr2 in redline's ride is like on 19"s then.. :drool:

Cheers for the advice.. cant believe nobody else had any other views though... :ffs:

I have driven a mr2 on 18's, yes it looked nice but the ride and handling destroyed the fun element of the car, very bumpy and also accelerated slower than it should, it wiped out the chip, decat/stainless zorst and induction kit that was on the car.

(its a personal opinion on the mr2, i cant really talk about big rims on lickle cars. :rolleyes: )

17's on the front .. 18's on the rear.. about the biggest you can go without being stoopid ..

Hrm this' got me thinking...

Is the only reason handling, acceleration etc is destroyed due to the weight of the rims?

I mean some1 could just as easily get 17's that are comparable in weight to 18's couldnt they?

And on that note, just how expensive would it be 2 get some1 to fabricate some custom rims? cos let's all be honest here rim's r pretty expensive, and if the difference is only a few hundred quid i wouldn't mind havin em customed.

Whaddya reckon people? :unsure:

-Z

there is a customer rim place .. but it;s 1500 - £2000 a set from what I remember.

I think it's the innertia of the wheel that causes the problems .. all the weight is further to the edges ..

£1500/£2000...

Damn was higher that i expected. Can ne1 say group buy :) ?

Sack that idea actually, else we'd alll hav the same rims on our cars, heh.

Inertia huh?

Bu wouldnt that be better for speed? i mean having all that weight being transferred to the tyres should in theory mean more grip right? i thawt that was better for speed? :unsure:

Also f1 cars have pretty big tyre's dont they, and they aint exactly slow...

I'm prolly barking up the wrong tree here, but i'm too lazy to net search atm :lol:

-Z

It's also important to keep the diametre of the wheels the same as standard. With larger rims this means thinner tyres. If you change the rolling radius i.e. the diametre, you will affect the handling, and cause the speedo to read incorrectly due to the change in gearing. Thinner tyres though mean bumpier ride, and there will be far less tyre wall which means less flexing. This can adversly effect the handling of the car over bumpy surfaces..... though in theory should mean it rolls less around corners, but this would only really work well in a track situation (nice even surface...).

Anyway that's my 10c worth.

doh, completely 4got to think about tyre diameter's.

And about the f1 tyres...

What dame just said triggered something on memory i read a while back.

They're huge and hav a high temperature capacity so that they can aid in braking. basically the heat energy gets xfered to the tires from the brakes helping to slow it down well.

Another thing...

even if the tyre diameter is small couldnt u get wider tyres to increase the rolling radius (think thats how i'd say it, if its wrong ill explain myself better!) so that you still have good surface contact w. the road.

And another thing (!Removed! nora, gettin a bit carried away here, maybe i shuould make seperate posts for each question, hehe)

I dunno if ne of u bother to do this, but what about cambre for ur tyres?

Havin +'ive camber would aid in cornering, but increases wear rate, so i guess the trade off is how u wanna drive.

Cos most places align carns with + camber dont they, but not many roads r flat, they slope a lil to each side...

What i'm tryin to ask is, could the problems associated with larger rims effectively be solved to allow for similar performance to smaller rims. I'm guessing no as autox cars i've seen (pics off/ or in vids) do have small rims.

I can't see how widening the tyres can change the rolling radius - remember, if you mark a point on the wheel, the rolling radius is the distance travelled until that point arrives back in the same position. Therefore, increasing the width of the tyre won't make the slightest bit of difference. I can understand that larger rims and larger tyres (i.e. larger radius) makes the car look a lot nicer, but I'm a simple being who prefers handling over looks. (my excuse for having a standard looking car :) )

maybe he got a tad confused...

I think he meant wider tyres as if you were looking at the car side on as opposed to top down. He meant bigger tyres I think... not wider. If not.. then

??

actually I just re-read his post.... dunno what you on about Zeroblade... had too many beers ?? :D

m8 im sat here half asleep just playin a bit of ffx-2 whilst ripping a dvd, recoding it burnin it, confusin the hell outa myself even!

i think ill start again w. that bit about the tyre width...

Basically i did mean top down view. simplified that would mean more tyre in contact with the road, hence more grip...

erm just rethought this throught and i've honestly confused myself, don't even know what point im tryin to make...

oh yeh, more grip = more speed

or is that just for inital launch?

Widening the tyre does effect the rolling radius. The profile part of the tyre refers to the size of the sidewall, i.e. the 40 part of the tyre size means that the sidewall is 40% of the width of the tyre, so wider tyres means bigger sidewalls. Thats why the rev 2 on mr2 should wear 235/40/17s on 17" rims. In truth it should be 35s but nobody makes em. 235/40/17 only gives about 1% error in rolling radius.

rev 2 on mr2 should wear 235/40/17s on 17" rims

For my rev1 i've got 215/40/17 for front and 235/40/17 for rear on order. Would that be ok ?

215/40/17 for front and 235/40/17 for rear on order

Yup, that's fine .. I think they are the sizes both Jimlad and I are running ..

Was even giving it some stick in the frosty mornings near Leeds over the holidays .. stuck nicely ..