Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'04 Yaris T3 Won't Start - Immobiliser?

kanarnthan

Hi there I was wondering if someone could help me...

I have a 2004 T3 yaris. The last time I drove it was on Thursday night. Just went to try and drive it now and could not unlock it remotely (Battery in the key is fine - the red light comes on when I press unlock). I then opened it manually, put the key in the ignition and turned it but nothing happened...as if it was dead.

reading on this forum I understand it might be something to do with the immobiliser. As in I cannot disengage it because maybe there is something wrong with my key? (I am using one of the black ones). What do you think is wrong?

Just went to try and drive it now and could not unlock it remotely (battery in the key is fine - the red light comes on when I press unlock). I then opened it manually, put the key in the ignition and turned it but nothing happened...as if it was dead.

Just curious - if I lock mine with the keyfob (which automatically sets the alarm) and then unlock it using just the key the alarm sounds. Unlocking using the keyfob both unlocks the car and disables the alarm, so did you not have the alarm set when you locked it? You should have set off the alarm.

Maybe if there is a fault with the keyfob (flat Battery etc) then the alarm might not have set itself, also if the alarm did not disarm itself when you unlocked the car using only the key then this in turn might cause the car not to start.

Need more information I think, such as jsautos suggestion about dash lights, but also things like does the engine turn over but not start, or not turn over at all? Does anything else work? Headlights? Sounds suspiciously like flat car Battery - try leaving the headlights on when you try to start the car, do they go out or stay bright? A flat Battery would explain why the alarm didn't sound, maybe you left the courtesy light on all weekend...

I have a 2004 T3 yaris. The last time I drove it was on Thursday night. Just went to try and drive it now and could not unlock it remotely (battery in the key is fine - the red light comes on when I press unlock). I then opened it manually, put the key in the ignition and turned it but nothing happened...as if it was dead.

reading on this forum I understand it might be something to do with the immobiliser. As in I cannot disengage it because maybe there is something wrong with my key? (I am using one of the black ones). What do you think is wrong?

Hi kanarnthan,

this sounds exactly like the problem I've got with my '02 D-4D. As of this evening both transponder (master) keys won't unlock remotely or start in the ignition. The car Battery claims to be OK and the imobiliser fuse is fine too. I get the dash security light flashing, so there is power.

Are you still stuck, or is there a magic cure?

Cheers

Ben

I have a 2004 T3 yaris. The last time I drove it was on Thursday night. Just went to try and drive it now and could not unlock it remotely (battery in the key is fine - the red light comes on when I press unlock). I then opened it manually, put the key in the ignition and turned it but nothing happened...as if it was dead.

Hi kanarnthan,

this sounds exactly like the problem I've got with my '02 D-4D. As of this evening both transponder (master) keys won't unlock remotely or start in the ignition. The car Battery claims to be OK and the imobiliser fuse is fine too. I get the dash security light flashing, so there is power.

Cheers

Ben

This could be the immobiliser read coil around the ignition switch. These are prone to packing up without any notice but dont just go rushing out to get one. I would suggest you call a local locksmith who has an AD300 or MUT3 and get them to code read it first.

Cheers

Jason

Hi Kanarnthan

Did you get your problem sorted? I have exactly the same problem with my 2004 Yaris - it wouldn't start last Saturday just as I was about to go on holiday - left me right up the creek!!

Thanks!

Hayley

this sounds exactly like the problem I've got with my '02 D-4D. As of this evening both transponder (master) keys won't unlock remotely or start in the ignition. The car battery claims to be OK and the imobiliser fuse is fine too. I get the dash security light flashing, so there is power.

Cheers

Ben

Slightly embarrassed to admit it was the Battery after all. Turns out a flat Battery delivers enough power to light up the dash security, but not the imobiliser/ignition.

Cheers

Ben

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links