Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blob Watch-rav

chatman

Ok...........

Been looking through the Aygo Blob watch See Here and thought it would be a good idea to start one on the RAV section...

Who's first????

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fujisan

• Hoovie

• chatman

• local hero

Hm... not sure what he means by Blob... but I do understand what this post is supposed to be about.... so ere it goes...

Big Red Likes her juice - as she is on lager rather than bitter she has to go to the bar fairly regulary :wacko: and gets about 300 miles out of a skinfull that is if shes on the Motorway... :!Removed!:

If shes taking me round town and to work she only manages to drive me about for around the 260 ish miles... :crybaby:

Either way I dont care... - well except for the fact that drink is expensive - I still love me Rav! :yahoo:

Im sure that you chaps n ladies out there who drive on the veggie oil stuff get a few more miles from you Rav... would be interested to know the difference in milage between motorway and local driving... :drool:

Regards

Rob

B)

Hm... not sure what he means by Blob... but I do understand what this post is supposed to be about.... so ere it goes...

I think that the Aygo has a line of blobs on a display rather than a conventional petrol gauge. These blobs go out depending on how much petrol is left. Either that or they're all into cheesy 1950s horror films !

Remember years ago on Top Gear, Clarkson drove from London to Edinburgh in an Audi A6 TDI, on a single tank of fuel.

At the time he reckoned it was the hard thing he's ever done, total concentration all the way.

Good luck to everybody taking up Chatman's challenge! :thumbsup:

Ok what the Blob means is the individual markings on the fuel gauge, like Quarter, Half and Three Quarters then Full...some refer to them as Blobs.....

So if I fill up with say £30 it puts the fuel gauge on Half full... then see how far that gets you.... Last time I topped up it was on half full and now the gauge is just into the last quarter (blob) and the mileage was showing 135 miles. So that last blob I managed 135 miles....

The best i have go out of a tank full was around 420 miles... Driving slower and changed driving style to take into account astronomical fuel prices as being held to ransom by ***** Turpin Government... :batman: :batman:

Edit...It marked out Turpin's name...Richard or_____ for short ha ha ha ha

Last time I topped up it was on half full and now the gauge is just into the last quarter (blob) and the mileage was showing 135 miles. So that last blob I managed 135 miles....

I might use the first quarter from full :lol: The fuel gauge being quite un-linear, that first quarter lasts miles more than the last quarter, where it drops like a falling piano! :huh::lol::lol:

The best i have go out of a tank full was around 420 miles...

:thumbsup:

The best i have go out of a tank full was around 420 miles...

:thumbsup:

MPG was showing 49.8 mpg but as that reads out by about 3 mpg... so take it as 46mpg.... Not bad :yes: :yes:

Hoovie's Blobwatch ....

2.0 VVTi RAV4.2 - Gauge is a touch over 3/4, Trip says 87.6 miles, Computer says 39.9MPG (I reset on each brim)

hoovie-blob1Small.jpg

Hoovie's Blobwatch ....

2.0 VVTi RAV4.2 - Gauge is a touch over 3/4, Trip says 87.6 miles, Computer says 39.9MPG (I reset on each brim)

hoovie-blob1Small.jpg

Nice Gauges! :thumbsup: Always liked white faced gauges.

Right here we go ;)

Just reached the first quarter mark having covered 144.1 miles. Quite happy with that! :P

Especially considering 80% of those miles where on the motorway at or around the speed limit :angel_not:, with the air-con on (reckon it's cheaper to use it than fix it! ;) plus I enjoy it B) ) and the headlights on most of the time becuase of the time I go to / come home from work :(

Theoretically that gives a range of 576.4 miles but I will be happy if I see 400+ miles before the next fill up :yes:

No doubt those with lighter feet will beat this by some considerable margin :lol:

Good luck everyone :thumbsup:

I never use the gauge to estimate fuel consumption. Ambient temperature and Battery voltage can effect the reading so for me I only use fill up to fill up and even then I suspect the mileage is not so accurate.

Besides if I lean over a bit or squint I can make it look better!!!

I never use the gauge to estimate fuel consumption. Ambient temperature and battery voltage can effect the reading so for me I only use fill up to fill up and even then I suspect the mileage is not so accurate.

Point taken......I think the idea behind the thread is to encourage RAV drivers to drive more economically, in a fun way that everyone can participate in, not to calculate fuel consumption to decimal places :lol:

Besides if I lean over a bit or squint I can make it look better!!!

Parallax error :1eye: a wonderful thing :lol: Almost has good as tapping a gauge at work and watching the reading fall suddenly :eek:

I have taken to having the Inst. MPG on display so I can see how bad the MPG is all the time!! Reckon that can help promote more economic styles. Trouble with where I live is the hills kill the MPG and it can be dropping down to 10mpg half the time as I need to drop a gear to climb it (of course, the upside is coasting down the other side if there isn't a tractor in front making me keep the brakes on all the time :angry: )

Since I have tried to drive more econimically, I can get over 300 miles to a tank whereas before I would always have to fill up at sometime on an office round-trip (260 miles)

Since I have tried to drive more econimically, I can get over 300 miles to a tank whereas before I would always have to fill up at sometime on an office round-trip (260 miles)

Well Done Hoovie :toast:

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

I've been playing blob watch too! I've managed to get 241 miles out of half a tank :thumbsup:

My average mpg was showing this :D

MyMPG.jpg

I then let Mrs Duncyduncs drive the car... :rolleyes:

That iron foot doesn't show at all ^_^

Well just done from the half mark down to the last quarter...

Averaged 48.9mpg over this period....and 174.5 miles

IMAGE_128.jpg

Not been using the air con as much...but have been driving around with roof open fully.....

When the light comes on I'll tell you what the overall distance was... O also seen local BP garage now selling diesel at £1.31 and petrol at £1.18...Not using that one any more :unsure: :unsure:

I suspect the mileage is not so accurate
Wouldn't think the mileage is too far out, mine seems pretty consistant with my Tom Tom, on a long trip :thumbsup:

Well just done from the half mark down to the last quarter...

Averaged 48.9mpg over this period....and 174.5 miles

:eek::toast::yahoo:

Just reached the first quarter mark having covered 144.1 miles. Quite happy with that! :P

Especially considering 80% of those miles where on the motorway at or around the speed limit :angel_not:, with the air-con on (reckon it's cheaper to use it than fix it! ;) plus I enjoy it B) ) and the headlights on most of the time becuase of the time I go to / come home from work :(

Theoretically that gives a range of 576.4 miles but I will be happy if I see 400+ miles before the next fill up :yes:

A bit of a late update on the blob watch, a few days ago reached the half tank mark having covered 260 miles. Again quite happy with that! :P

In theory the max range is now 520 miles :lol: but I'd still be happy to see 400+ miles :D

The nice thing is, even though I don't pay much attention to the fuel computer mpg.....it is nice to see it (quite rapidly) ticking up, instead of it's usual slow counting down :D :yahoo::yahoo:

Should reach the three quarter mark by the end of this weekend, so I'll keep you updated. :thumbsup:

I will add pics once I get home and can get them off my phone onto my pc but heres a tank watch rather than blob watch

Vehicle 2004 Rav4 5dr 2.0 Petrol Auto

fuel computer boldly claims 38.8MPG (wouldnt I be partying if that were true)

Fill up to fill up shows the following

Fuel 48.67 litres

miles 331.9

so thats 6.8194 miles per litre

or 31.001 miles per gallon (or put another way, double what my last car did :D )

quite a large difference between the computer and the calculated figure but for a large 4wd automatic I am very impressed

for info : Of the 332 miles around 50% has been motorway and the rest has been aound town and down country lanes

pics added

dials.jpg

comp.jpg

re the blobwatch principle - I have registered on spritmonitor.de (http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/login.html).

You can record your fillups and type of driving on there and it will give you MPG on trips and an overall average :thumbsup:

also breaks down fuel use by driving style, etc - clever stuff

(there is a quirk when you chose Miles - you have put the mileage in as Km althoiugh it says miles - it will then tell you trip in Miles correctly ... you'll see when you look there :) )

A bit of a late update on the blob watch, a few days ago reached the half tank mark having covered 260 miles. Again quite happy with that! :P

In theory the max range is now 520 miles :lol: but I'd still be happy to see 400+ miles :D

The nice thing is, even though I don't pay much attention to the fuel computer mpg.....it is nice to see it (quite rapidly) ticking up, instead of it's usual slow counting down :D :yahoo::yahoo:

Should reach the three quarter mark by the end of this weekend, so I'll keep you updated. :thumbsup:

Right three quarter tank mark reached tonight on the way into work :( having covered 378miles :yes:

So 400+ miles before the next fill up is a good bet, especially because I've got the long drive home in the morning :lol: