Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blob Watch-rav

chatman

Just reached the first quarter mark having covered 144.1 miles. Quite happy with that! :P

Especially considering 80% of those miles where on the motorway at or around the speed limit :angel_not:, with the air-con on (reckon it's cheaper to use it than fix it! ;) plus I enjoy it B) ) and the headlights on most of the time becuase of the time I go to / come home from work :(

Theoretically that gives a range of 576.4 miles but I will be happy if I see 400+ miles before the next fill up :yes:

A bit of a late update on the blob watch, a few days ago reached the half tank mark having covered 260 miles. Again quite happy with that! :P

In theory the max range is now 520 miles :lol: but I'd still be happy to see 400+ miles :D

The nice thing is, even though I don't pay much attention to the fuel computer mpg.....it is nice to see it (quite rapidly) ticking up, instead of it's usual slow counting down :D :yahoo::yahoo:

Should reach the three quarter mark by the end of this weekend, so I'll keep you updated. :thumbsup:

Right three quarter tank mark reached tonight on the way into work :( having covered 378miles :yes:

So 400+ miles before the next fill up is a good bet, especially because I've got the long drive home in the morning :lol:

Right filled up yesterday, well before the low fuel light came on, with the mileage at 408.2.

So by my brim to brim calculation, for that tank of fuel I was getting 40.35mpg :yahoo:

Not bad for the first week of driving like Miss Daisy! :lol::lol:

If I can do that week-in week-out, I'll be a very happy bunny :P

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fujisan

• Hoovie

• chatman

• local hero

hmm diesel is as good as it used to be then, you get 40.35 per gallon I get 31 in my petrol so looking at ha new rave 4 xt3 heres the deal

per 10,000 Miles

diesel per litre £1.31 per gallon £5.94 MPG 40.35 Gallons 247.83 Cost £1,472.52

petrol per litre £1.18 per gallon £5.35 MPG 31.00 Gallons 322.58 Cost £1,724.55

saving per 10k £252.03

new xt3 Diesel £20,355.00

new xt3 Petrol £19,105.00

Extra cost for diesel rav4 £1,250.00

so at 10,000 miles per annum it would take 4.96 years before you made it into profit,

think I'll stick with the petrol one :-)

for info cost per litre is from petrolprices.com using the average price in my area mpg's are taken from the calculated value for my 2004 petrol and Fujisan's figures for the diesel

Right filled up yesterday, well before the low fuel light came on, with the mileage at 408.2.

So by my brim to brim calculation, for that tank of fuel I was getting 40.35mpg :yahoo:

Not bad for the first week of driving like Miss Daisy! :lol::lol:

If I can do that week-in week-out, I'll be a very happy bunny :P

Good result :thumbsup:

Jjust hope you manage to stay awake long enough to update us on 2nd filling :unsure:

Gets very boring tootling along everywhere, doesn't it!

I had to give myself a couple of minutes of raw power yesterday to quell the bordom (My 2nd blob is appearing much quicker then first anyway :crybaby: )

hmm diesel is as good as it used to be then, you get 40.35 per gallon I get 31 in my petrol so looking at ha new rave 4 xt3 heres the deal

per 10,000 Miles

saving per 10k £252.03

so at 10,000 miles per annum it would take 4.96 years before you made it into profit,

for info cost per litre is from petrolprices.com using the average price in my area mpg's are taken from the calculated value for my 2004 petrol and Fujisan's figures for the diesel

It is important to look at Full-Life costs, not just fuel.

You have a break-even of 5 years on Fuel, so for arguments sake, lets say you keep the car for Five years and look at where you are....

Buy Price = Diesel is £1,250 more to buy

Fuel Cost = Diesel is £1,250 less to fuel

Resale = Diesel RAV will probably be worth more still - maybe £750 extra back is likely?

Servicing = Cambelt change after 5 years - only on Diesel, not Petrol = £400 cost?

Road Fund License = is it about £50 a year less for the Diesel? If so, saving of about £250

So after 5 years the Diesel RAV4 will have cost £600 LESS then the Petrol RAV4

I have a Petrol RAV4 and in hindsight would have gone for a Diesel even with the cost of diesel as it is.

Jjust hope you manage to stay awake long enough to update us on 2nd filling :unsure:

I had to give myself a couple of minutes of raw power yesterday to quell the bordom (My 2nd blob is appearing much quicker then first anyway :crybaby: )

Thank you ;)

Boring? I one respect, yes. :lol: But I find it takes an equal amount of concentration and "will power" to drive economically, with that added benefit that it's more relaxing, especially during the evening's motorway grand prix! :eek::lol::lol:

per 10,000 Miles

saving per 10k £252.03

I can't argue with you, it is becoming more difficult to justify diesel over petrol. When I bought my diesel nearly 18 months ago, for the mileage I do, it was a no-brainer. At that time diesel cost maybe one or two pennies more per litre than petrol.

Now, I think it would be a more difficult decision, especially with the price gap between diesel and petrol forecast to grow.

But has Hoovie said I think you have to look at the long term especially if you are buying diesel. In my opinion you have to now keep a diesel at least five years or do starship mileage per year to justify buying diesel.

If you only keep your cars for a couple of years or you only do limited mileage, at the moment petrol is the way to go for you. And in that case your biggest cost is not fuel..........it is depreciation! :eek:

PS Diesel in Warrington (at the moment) is 126.9p......... not your 131p, thank God! :lol::lol:

Thank you ;)

Boring? I one respect, yes. :lol: But I find it takes an equal amount of concentration and "will power" to drive economically, with that added benefit that it's more relaxing, especially during the evening's motorway grand prix! :eek::lol::lol:

I find I drive a lot smoother in the Rav4 than I ever did in the XJR, with the XJR you have bucket loads of power and are always looking for a chance to use it, sadly these days unless you are in the wilds of Scotland you always end up stuck in traffic. It gets really frustrating having all that power and no use for it. With the Rav4 I am happy to pootle along at 70mph watching the traffic and trying to get the best MPG and the smoothest possible ride. I have also learnt that a lot of the pople that wizz past at 90mph + are only half a dozen cars in front at the next queue so I'm quite enjoying life in the slow lane because its a damn site cheaper and not that much slower.

I have also learnt that a lot of the pople that wizz past at 90mph + are only half a dozen cars in front at the next queue so I'm quite enjoying life in the slow lane because its a damn site cheaper and not that much slower.

Agreed! :yes: I see the same thing everytime I travel to / from work, especially in the evenings.

Had a little chuckle to myself the other day, a big Merc M-class 4x4 came blasting past, in the outside lane, doing a ton plus. Thought, he's not getting 40mpg! :lol::lol::lol:

Five miles later, who do I see stuck in the queue in the outside lane................. :lol::lol:

Agree with you guys :yes: Last 800 miles or so, been drving for economy and my journey time on my office run (which is about 2Hrs 20 Mins each way) has only changed by maybe 10-15 mins max.

And so often you see cars overtaking you (which rarely used to happen to me before :naughty: ) just one car ahead 5 miles up the road :laughing:

Dya realise that the reputation of RAV4s is going to plummet - as the world will think the RAV is for slow drivers who think they are pulling a caravan.

Thank you ;)

I find I drive a lot smoother in the Rav4 than I ever did in the XJR, with the XJR you have bucket loads of power and are always looking for a chance to use it, sadly these days unless you are in the wilds of Scotland you always end up stuck in traffic. It gets really frustrating having all that power and no use for it. With the Rav4 I am happy to pootle along at 70mph watching the traffic and trying to get the best MPG and the smoothest possible ride. I have also learnt that a lot of the pople that wizz past at 90mph + are only half a dozen cars in front at the next queue so I'm quite enjoying life in the slow lane because its a damn site cheaper and not that much slower.

WOT??!! You mean they don't weave amongst the traffic and use the emergency lane - who are they? Wimps?? :lol:

Dya realise that the reputation of RAV4s is going to plummet - as the world will think the RAV is for slow drivers who think they are pulling a caravan.

I used to pull a caravan with the XJR, now I have the Rav4 i have sold the caravan.................go figure :)

Hoovie's Blobwatch ....

2.0 VVTi RAV4.2 - Gauge is a touch over 3/4, Trip says 87.6 miles, Computer says 39.9MPG (I reset on each brim)

hoovie-blob1Small.jpg

2nd Blog (2/4 on gauge)... Trip is on 180, Computer says 39.9MPG still. If the numbers stay like this I have a potential 360+ Range and I think 33MPG real average (11 gallon tank?) which is not too bad considering the types of journeys been doing.

2nd Blog (2/4 on gauge)... Trip is on 180, Computer says 39.9MPG still. If the numbers stay like this I have a potential 360+ Range and I think 33MPG real average (11 gallon tank?) which is not too bad considering the types of journeys been doing.

Keep up the good work Hoovie! :thumbsup:

Hoovie's Blobwatch ....

2.0 VVTi RAV4.2 - Gauge is a touch over 3/4, Trip says 87.6 miles, Computer says 39.9MPG (I reset on each brim)

hoovie-blob1Small.jpg

2nd Blob (2/4 on gauge)... Trip is on 180, Computer says 39.9MPG still. If the numbers stay like this I have a potential 360+ Range and I think 33MPG real average (11 gallon tank?) which is not too bad considering the types of journeys been doing.

3rd Blob (1/4 in gauge) ... Trip is now 260, Computer down to 39.5MPG. last 60 miles had some city driving so prob hurt a little.

1st 1/4 tank was 87 Miles

2nd 1/4 tank was 93 Miles

3rd 1/4 tank was 80 Miles

Time I need to think about refuelling I think just in case stations start to run low :(

In the 'old days', a commute to the office (270 miles round trip) would have me filling up at the start and filling up on the way home as the low fuel light would be on, so some careful driving really can have a big effect :thumbsup:

Ok....a new tank of fuel, a new blob watch! :thumbsup:

Reached the first 1/4 tank mark last night on the way home from work at..........156 miles! :yahoo:

12 more miles than this point with the last tank of fuel.............I must be getting better at this business of driving like Miss Daisy :lol::lol:

Quite noticable last night how the average speed of vehicles on the motorway has come down over the last few days, most where travelling at blob watch speed :lol: , with very few going anywhere near 80mph ;)

People can save fuel and money if they really want too. :thumbsup:

The strange thing is that your journey times don't seem to be any longer too!

Agreed! :yes:

A couple of minutes, maybe five tops :D And it is a lot more relaxing and less stressful than trying to keep up with the usual motorway grand prix :thumbsup:

I filled up again today so Blobwatch 1 is complete:

283 Miles - 39.88L to brim the tank.

Blobwatch 1 results: 32.1MPG - still not great really :blink: - On-Board Computer says 40.1 MPG - 8MPG out!!! that is 25% :angry:

Blobwatch 2 starts: Done 13 miles, On-Board Computer says 42.5 MPG, not down to 4/4 yet :g:

I filled up again today so Blobwatch 1 is complete:

283 Miles - 39.88L to brim the tank.

Blobwatch 1 results: 32.1MPG - still not great really :blink: - On-Board Computer says 40.1 MPG - 8MPG out!!! that is 25% :angry:

Blobwatch 2 starts: Done 13 miles, On-Board Computer says 42.5 MPG, not down to 4/4 yet :g:

Don't be to hard on yourself, you must be creeping nearer and nearer to the official combined figure.

Not sure what that is for a 4.2 VVTi :unsure: but the 4.3 VVTi is 32.8mpg and your not far off that! :thumbsup:

On-board computer's only good for telling the time :lol::lol:

Don't be to hard on yourself, you must be creeping nearer and nearer to the official combined figure.

Not sure what that is for a 4.2 VVTi :unsure: but the 4.3 VVTi is 32.8mpg and your not far off that! :thumbsup:

Just looked at the info that came with the car ....

RAV4 Combined MPGs (Sept 2004 Publication)

3Dr 2.0 VVT-i Man - 32.5

5Dr 2.0 VVT-i Man - 32.1

3Dr 2.0 VVT-i Auto - 30.7

5Dr 2.0 VVT-i Auto - 30.4

3 & % Dr D-4D Man - 39.8

Exactly on the Combined MPG :yes:

On-board computer's only good for telling the time :lol::lol:

And for Salesmen to say "Just look at the economy" :rolleyes:

Exactly on the Combined MPG :yes:

Now doesn't that feel better :D :thumbsup:

Ok not been on here for a while (well blob watch anyway)

Managed to get just after half tank mark..... Filled up Friday morning............deep breath and calm when paying :crybaby: :crybaby:

Then long drive down M25 and M40, then back again.....+ drive to from work today in rush hour....all Mrs Daisy style :lol: :lol:

IMG00125.jpg

IMG00126.jpg

242 miles to half a tank.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

242 miles to half a tank.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well Done Chatman :thumbsup: Keep it Daisy style :lol::lol:

Need to fill up this morning (@1.33ppl :crybaby: :crybaby: )....Well before I sat on the M25 in traffic again.... :angry: :angry:

Would have got to work OK.. so could add another 30 miles to the total :unsure: :unsure:

Trip shows 382..(412)

IMG00135.jpg