Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blob Watch-rav

chatman

Top marks Fuji..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you! :D

Thought about stringing it out to cover todays trip to / from work but the footie's on the box tonight!! :lol::lol:

Thank God for Five Live! :lol::lol:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fujisan

• Hoovie

• chatman

• local hero

quick update, the next tank full is almost gone, god I use too much fuel, strange thing is I reckon I can breach the 350 miles on a tank full this time. I will post tomorrow after I have filled it up but the on board computer is showing 39.9mpg after 320+ miles, I feel like having a drink to celebrate.

quick update, the next tank full is almost gone, god I use too much fuel, strange thing is I reckon I can breach the 350 miles on a tank full this time. I will post tomorrow after I have filled it up but the on board computer is showing 39.9mpg after 320+ miles, I feel like having a drink to celebrate.

421.8 miles

37.01 litres.

51.81 m.p.g

421.8 miles

37.01 litres.

51.81 m.p.g

Top marks there by all.... Seems the Diesel RAV's are getting 420+ :toast: :toast: and the Petrol RAV's 340+ish :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi folks,

Did the return trip from West Yorks to Dundee and back this week. ‘Was carrying 2 bikes on a towbar mounted carrier in both directions.

Used cruise control in 6th gear ( only changing down for roundabouts! ) in both directions on the section from Kendal all the way to Dundee. It was set at 60 MPH almost all the way with a couple of bits of 50 in roadworks on the M6/M74 link and the A90.

On the way there we achieved 44.64 MPG by the brim-to-brim method and an indicated 48.7 on the OBC.

On the way back I achieved 48.49 MPG ( brim-to-brim ) 53.6 OBC.

Now the hard bit: the OH drove part of the way there and had a bit of difficulty with using the cruise control. It was in and out a fair bit. On the way back, I was on my own and the CC had an easier time. Should I put her on a diet or have her right leg shortened?

Some thoughts: I had half come to the conclusion that the error in the OBC fuel consumption was as a result of it ignoring fuel used when the vehicle was stationary in traffic ( i.e. it was receiving a zero input from speedometer ), and was expecting the smallest error to date on the return leg from Dundee as it was just about uninterupted driving. HOWEVER the error was the largest to date at 9.5%. Another theory bites the dust. I’ll plot out the error at various “achieved MPGs” when I have some more data and see if that reveals anything.

I’m not sure whether running in 6th gear at 60 MPH is the most economical mode. The engine is only doing about 1800 RPM which is below the flatish section of the power curve that represents maximum torque. I also have a niggling doubt about what this fairly low RPM is doing to the DMF. It must be working pretty hard. I’d be very interested in anyone else’s ideas on this one. Have to go back to Dundee in about a fortnight so COULD repeat the experiment in 5th gear, or just use 5th on the uphill slopes.

The two bikes are fairly light and the towbar carrier provides only a miniscule increase in frontal area. But it must make a difference to the drag coefficient of the RAV. But how much when you translate it to MPG? I’m tempted not to take the bikes next time just to see if there is a measurable difference.

The good news is that the journey only takes about half an hour more than driving at nearer 70 MPH, which I used to do in the Suzuki Vitara, – and got 33ish MPG! :D

Regards

Chris

heres the scores on the doors which I'm pleased with for a petrol rav

miles 368.6

litres 50.86

MPG 32.95

OBC MPG 40.4 (I Wish)

So ....

We all know the On Board Computer is always way out on MPG

We know the speedo overreadsa by about 5%-10%

How do we know the Odometer is any more accurate then the two above :g:

if it isn't, these calcs were are doing are out the window!

So ....

We all know the On Board Computer is always way out on MPG

We know the speedo overreadsa by about 5%-10%

How do we know the Odometer is any more accurate then the two above :g:

if it isn't, these calcs were are doing are out the window!

the odometer seems fairly accurate on mine based on the journey to work being the same as it was on my previous car which was a Jag

On the way there we achieved 44.64 MPG by the brim-to-brim method and an indicated 48.7 on the OBC.

On the way back I achieved 48.49 MPG ( brim-to-brim ) 53.6 OBC.

Top marks Chris! :toast:

Typical journey to work....

Country roads then A and B roads followed by M11/M25 final stretch 4 miles of A road....

Screen01.jpg

Info taken off my sat nav

:D :D :D :D :D

A late blob watch report.......sorry, to busy, haven't been able to get near a PC, either at work or at home for days :blink:

Ok....here we go....a new tank of fuel....and Miss Diasy has been working overtime

....reached the 1/4 tank mark at.........172 miles! :yahoo:

Should reach the 1/2 tank mark within a day or two...will update the scores on the doors then. :thumbsup:

Country roads then A and B roads followed by M11/M25 final stretch 4 miles of A road....

Screen01.jpg

WOW Chatman, now i know your rich, you travel to work in the space shuttle!! Verrry impressive :thumbsup:

Screen01.jpg

WOW Chatman, now i know your rich, you travel to work in the space shuttle!! Verrry impressive :thumbsup:

Yea the after burners on re-entry into the atmosphere around J26 of M25 is a right bugger :blowup:

Mrs Duncerduncs has been driving the Rav of late, and my MPG has taken a dip! :rolleyes:

My last tank has worked out as 38.81, but I'm still reasonably pleased :D

Mrs Duncerduncs has been driving the Rav of late, and my MPG has taken a dip! :rolleyes:

My last tank has worked out as 38.81, but I'm still reasonably pleased :D

I thought you bought her her own RAV?

:rolleyes::lol:

A late blob watch report.......sorry, to busy, haven't been able to get near a PC, either at work or at home for days :blink:

Ok....here we go....a new tank of fuel....and Miss Diasy has been working overtime

Should reach the 1/2 tank mark within a day or two...will update the scores on the doors then. :thumbsup:

Ok...reached the 1/2 tank mark last night at........285 miles! :yahoo:

Well, The HoovesMobiles Tank is just about 3/4 gone on the second blob watch and the figures are identical to the 1st blobwatch :eek: Same Computer MPG, same tank usage.

That is 39.5MPG on computer, and 260 miles on 3/4 used position ;)

Seems at the moment, I get through a lot less fuel then some of you guys :) but I am doing a lot less miles :rolleyes: At the current rate, only doing about 3k-4k a year :huh:

At the current rate, only doing about 3k-4k a year :huh:

What... :eek: :eek: I can do almost that in a month sometimes.......

I can't remember last time I went into office :huh: must have been around Easter maybe?

next time is 30th July though (help pay for petrol for MotorShow trip ;) )

Ok...reached the 1/2 tank mark last night at........285 miles! :yahoo:

Right...here we go....reached the 3/4 mark on the way to IKEA :P at ...........390 miles! (20 miles more than this point on the last blob watch) :yahoo::yahoo:

Just got back from the second trip to Dundee in a month. The cruise control is now known as "Miss Daisy" ( sorry Fuji! ) - it's certainly got a lighter touch than me!

The figures: Brim-to-brim method, 49.6 MPG, OBC 52.7.

This amounts to a 5.9% error in the OBC which is the smallest one yet.

Some more thoughts: ( you have plenty of time to think at 60 MPH all the way to Dundee!) When you reduce speed using the cruise control, say from 60 to 50 MPH for roadworks, it appears to do a bit of gentle braking. This is probably not ideal if ultimate economy is the intention. What I'm doing now when approaching 50 MPH roadworks is to click the CC off and then on again , letting the speed drop to 50 then clicking "set".

Need to fill up again to see what I got on the return journey, but as most of it was spent underwater, I'm not expecting anything too good even though the OBC said 51.3 Can't ever remember driving in rain like it in this country.

It's very hilly around home so have to find a way of getting the SatNav to find routes with the minimum climb for local journeys. 'Spose we could move to East Anglia?

This is in danger of becoming an obsession.

Best regards

Chris

Right...here we go....reached the 3/4 mark on the way to IKEA :P at ...........390 miles! (20 miles more than this point on the last blob watch) :yahoo::yahoo:

I've been trying to resist saying this for a while Fuj, but can do so no longer. SACK MISS DAISY - SHE HAS A LEAD FOOT :lol:

Nah, it's good stuff really, you seem to be getting there :thumbsup: Next target - you've got to break that 400 mile barrier at 3/4 mark :yes: I'm doing about 410 to 420ish at 3/4 at the moment. Of course, everybody will be different - what's possible is all dependant on where, when and how we are driving. Some will be doing even better I expect. John1944's 52ish mpg is impressive - but is that on relatively quiet roads?

This is in danger of becoming an obsession.

There's nowt wrong with that and well done :thumbsup:

Three5 and me have similar problems, methinks - stuck driving on very hill roads :crybaby:

You should see the instantaeous MPG going into single figures EVEN when throttle is very carefully applied when going up 1:3 and 1:4 hills - and on the downhill bit, having to slow to 15mpg to avoid rear-ending the tractors

Three5 and me have similar problems, methinks - stuck driving on very hill roads :crybaby:

You should see the instantaeous MPG going into single figures EVEN when throttle is very carefully applied when going up 1:3 and 1:4 hills - and on the downhill bit, having to slow to 15mpg to avoid rear-ending the tractors

Too right Hoovie - but I guess that you wouldn't change it either!

Best regards

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links