Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr/t180 Spare Wheel (lack Of)

Aldridge Andy

Possibly a question for Parts King...

As the SR / T180 doesn't have a Spare Wheel of any description, just a pot of sealant and a compressor, is it physically possible to order a Space-Saver Spare used on other Auris and use it on a SR / T180? Would it fit in the same space where the Compressor and Sealant are stored?

As it looks like I'll be keeping my current Auris for some time, I woudn't mind going down the route of having a spare if possible.

As the SR / T180 doesn't have a Spare Wheel of any description, just a pot of sealant and a compressor, is it physically possible to order a Space-Saver Spare used on other Auris and use it on a SR / T180? Would it fit in the same space where the Compressor and Sealant are stored?

As it looks like I'll be keeping my current Auris for some time, I woudn't mind going down the route of having a spare if possible.

Was there no option of a spare? I hope you can buy one. If you use the selant the tyre tyre is then scrap as they cannot repair them. How much for a new one then, possibly £130. This would put me off buying an Auris.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there no option of a spare? I hope you can buy one. If you use the selant the tyre tyre is then scrap as they cannot repair them. How much for a new one then, possibly £130. This would put me off buying an Auris.

I got a space saver (17") from Toyota in Gillingham for £120.00. The same price as one tyre ruined by the sealant.

You also have to buy the bolt that holds it down. £8.00

I got a space saver (17") from Toyota in Gillingham for £120.00. The same price as one tyre ruined by the sealant.

Ouch... now that's expensive for a steel spare! So nothing has changed with time, use the sealent and the tyre becomes irrepairable?

Ouch... now that's expensive for a steel spare! So nothing has changed with time, use the sealent and the tyre becomes irrepairable?

Been thinking the same and managed to pick up a brand new unwanted steel one (bizarrely with a valve already fitted) off eBay for £15 from Walsall Wood (from under your nose Andy, sorry!) Just got to get the tyre now but its looking like another £60 plus the £8 bolt (should be able get from a salvage yard for less). Probably still keep the compressor in the car though as it is light and compact.

So I take it that a 17" Space Saver fits happily in the boot then?

I think it was suggested on here a while back that a spare wasn't fitted as the different suspension fitted to the T/SR180 resulted in a different boot floor that could only accomodate the Compressor and Tyre Repair Gel. If you can accomodate a spare that's good news.

I may have to have a chat with my Toyota World Parts Department on Saturday when I go to collect my Boot Liner.

I think it was suggested on here a while back that a spare wasn't fitted as the different suspension fitted to the T/SR180 resulted in a different boot floor that could only accomodate the Compressor and Tyre Repair Gel. If you can accomodate a spare that's good news.

I may have to have a chat with my Toyota World Parts Department on Saturday when I go to collect my Boot Liner.

Yes, wheel tried and there will be adequate room for the tyre once added, plus compressor inside wheel for slow punctures.

Lift your carpet and will see the space available once the expanded-polystyrene tray is removed.

A standard wheel would, however, be too deep for continued use.

• 1 month later...

Yes, wheel tried and there will be adequate room for the tyre once added, plus compressor inside wheel for slow punctures.

Lift your carpet and will see the space available once the expanded-polystyrene tray is removed.

Andy, did you ever get a spare from Toyota World?

I've been looking at suitable tyres for the wheel as I am travelling alot further these days. The one that comes already fitted is a T125/70 R17 however this is way out of the advised keeping within 2.5% radius.

The standard alloy 225/45 17 gives 634.3mm dia, 1992.71mm circumference

The temp wheel T125/70 17 gives 606.8mm dia, 1906.32mm circumference (-4.34%).

Looking at alternatives (which are actually cheaper)

T125/80 17 gives 632mm dia, 1985mm circumference, which is much closer to original (-0.39%).

Questions are then: Has anybody tried to see if the original alloy wheel diameter fits in the wheel well (I know it is too deep), before I order?

And why is Toyota specifying a wheel that is too small, unless a bigger one won't store?

I have measured and it looks like it will fit but is difficult because of the radius and draft on the well.

Andy, did you ever get a spare from Toyota World?

I've been looking at suitable tyres for the wheel as I am travelling alot further these days. The one that comes already fitted is a T125/70 R17 however this is way out of the advised keeping within 2.5% radius.

The standard alloy 225/45 17 gives 634.3mm dia, 1992.71mm circumference

The temp wheel T125/70 17 gives 606.8mm dia, 1906.32mm circumference (-4.34%).

Looking at alternatives (which are actually cheaper)

T125/80 17 gives 632mm dia, 1985mm circumference, which is much closer to original (-0.39%).

Questions are then: Has anybody tried to see if the original alloy wheel diameter fits in the wheel well (I know it is too deep), before I order?

And why is Toyota specifying a wheel that is too small, unless a bigger one won't store?

I have measured and it looks like it will fit but is difficult because of the radius and draft on the well.

I haven't got a spare wheel sorted yet, it was on the way to collect my boot liner that my car got hit from behind, and I totally forgot about asking a price for a spare wheel.

Now all is sorted with the car I may ask Toyota World when I'm next passing, and see what they can offer.

:angry: I recently had the misfortune to glance a kerb with my nearside rear wheel. This resulted in the damage to the side wall ... i too have the sealant / compressor . WHAT A PAIN.

I had to phone the toyota rescue waited almost 3/4hr for him to arrive ,,, he tried his best to repair the tyre , he rang a tyre dealer out of hours to get me a tyre i was quoted over £200. which i refused to pay . So the end result was my car had to be towed home , which i was only 5mins away from. All in all it took nearly 1.5 to 1.75 hours to resolve.

If i had a space saver which i also hate it would of taken me 10 to 15 mins to of sorted.

Why oh why do they replace the spare with the sealant amt compressor,, its not an efficient method nor is it a good option .

I will certainly in the future reject a car if it has this option only ... Come on toyota offer your car buyers a proper solution to this what will it cost at manufacture to install a spare wheel. I feel they should at cost offer a replacement spare wheel for the sealant

BEWARE ,,, DONT GET A PUNCTURE

The norwegian Executive edition (16" alloys, cruise controll, xenon etc.) comes with a spare wheel. I didn't know that and was actually quite suprised when I found out. Usually, the cars comes with tire foam today

Just to advise, I now have the Toyota 17" space saver wheel with the following £60 tyre fitted and can confirm that even though it is slightly bigger than the one specified by Toyota (the T125/70 17) it fits nice and snug in the boot well. There is still adequate room for the compressor, locking wheel nut box and tools.

T125/80 17 gives 632mm dia, 1985mm circumference, which is much closer to the original 17" alloy wheel/tyre combination.

Just to advise, I now have the Toyota 17" space saver wheel with the following £60 tyre fitted and can confirm that even though it is slightly bigger than the one specified by Toyota (the T125/70 17) it fits nice and snug in the boot well. There is still adequate room for the compressor, locking wheel nut box and tools.

T125/80 17 gives 632mm dia, 1985mm circumference, which is much closer to the original 17" alloy wheel/tyre combination.

My local dealer insists that Toyota don't specify a spare wheel for the T180/SR180 so unable to recommend one; however, if I provide a part number they are prepared to supply. (Presumably on the basis that they can't be responsible for any problems that may arise)

Are you able to provide a part number for the wheel you've fitted please?

Just one of the few reasons I opted for the Tspirit over the T180/SR180. I have used the tyre weld stuff on my brothers car in the states and wasn't impressed with it. Still leaked. Had to replace the tyre at $135 instead of a $25 repair.

This lack of a spare is a serious pain! Have T180 auris and bought it with intention of using it to tow a caravan on occasions. I thought I'd buy a space saver to supplement can of gunk. Have seen other posts re. this problem, so decided to buy the 17" spare saver wheel with a suitable tyre. Fortunately, before I laid out my cash, I spoke to a very helpful guy at pentagon toyota in doncaster. He went and checked the space saver in an SR in the workshop and confirmed that it was a 17 inch and even better, he tried it in a T180 and said that it fitted perfectly in the boot! Oh Joy! He said he'd just check with toyota technical dept. to make sure this was a safe and viable option. Five minutes later he rang back - No, it's no good - it will not fit on the car itself, :( because of the hub/stud configuration, together with the modified rear suspension. This is the real reason toyota have not fitted a space saver as in other aurises, not because they couldn't fit one in the boot! So, beware all owners who have bought a space saver from another auris - it might fit in the boot, but it won't fit on the car! Looks like a full size spare? :( :wacko:

My local dealer insists that Toyota don't specify a spare wheel for the T180/SR180 so unable to recommend one; however, if I provide a part number they are prepared to supply. (Presumably on the basis that they can't be responsible for any problems that may arise)

Are you able to provide a part number for the wheel you've fitted please?

Been on holiday hence the delay.

Toyota Coventry gave me this number and I think it is for both tyre and wheel 42652-05250 and quoted £116.50+vat, so I bought separately from differnent sources. If it definately doesnt fit on the hub there would seem no point and I didn't consider that, however if it is just a rear suspension problem you can always just temporarily swap with a front wheel.

If it is still a no-goer, lets hope Toyota bring out a steel temp that actually fits, and I can just transfer the tyre I have.

• 2 weeks later...

This saga is really beginning to wear out my brain! As I understand from previous comments there is a Toyota space saver that fits in the boot (Part No. 42652-05250. Thanks Cablechap) However that part includes a tyre which is a poor match for the SR/t180's wheel/tyre dimensions. So you replace the tyre with a T125/80 17. Spacesaver wheel and tyre now fit in the spare wheel well and everything's neat and tidy. Job done.

However, according to Barone, Toyota are saying that the wheel won't actually fit on the car due to hub/stud configuration and/or different rear suspension. If it's just the rear suspension then Cablechap's suggestion of swapping a punctured rear for a front wheel would work.

If the problem is with the pitch on the studs then a set of studs for the spacesaver wheel would also be an option.

If the SR/t180 has completely different hubs from other models, though, your nice new spacesaver - bought to provide peace of mind - is a waste of time, money and space!

I'd really appreciate it if someone could just confirm that they have a spacesaver wheel (with part number if possible) and a suitable tyre that fits in the boot and also fits safely on at least one of the car's hubs. Then I can get the parts ordered and concentrate on sorting those washer jets!

• 4 months later...
This saga is really beginning to wear out my brain! As I understand from previous comments there is a Toyota space saver that fits in the boot (Part No. 42652-05250. Thanks Cablechap) However that part includes a tyre which is a poor match for the SR/t180's wheel/tyre dimensions. So you replace the tyre with a T125/80 17. Spacesaver wheel and tyre now fit in the spare wheel well and everything's neat and tidy. Job done.

However, according to Barone, Toyota are saying that the wheel won't actually fit on the car due to hub/stud configuration and/or different rear suspension. If it's just the rear suspension then Cablechap's suggestion of swapping a punctured rear for a front wheel would work.

If the problem is with the pitch on the studs then a set of studs for the spacesaver wheel would also be an option.

If the SR/t180 has completely different hubs from other models, though, your nice new spacesaver - bought to provide peace of mind - is a waste of time, money and space!

I'd really appreciate it if someone could just confirm that they have a spacesaver wheel (with part number if possible) and a suitable tyre that fits in the boot and also fits safely on at least one of the car's hubs. Then I can get the parts ordered and concentrate on sorting those washer jets!

Oozat was this ever answered to your satisfaction? Thanks JD

Since the information came to light about the hub/stud configuration, my spare has sat in the garage, however within the next 4-5 weeks I intend to replace the front tyres, and at that point I will confirm if the spare fits or not.

Since the information came to light about the hub/stud configuration, my spare has sat in the garage, however within the next 4-5 weeks I intend to replace the front tyres, and at that point I will confirm if the spare fits or not.

Thanks Cablechap much appreciated. Even if it means putting a good front onto the back and placing the spare on the front would suffice and give an old yin like me some peace of mind. I assume your spare fits in the tyrewell? thanks again..JD

Just to confirm a reply I sent today to jd by pm:

so far I've had good response from RRG Stockport.

There is a space saver spare that fits the Auris SR180

Vic Petruzzelli the aftersales manager even went to the trouble of fitting one onto my car to confirm that everything was ok. It fits the hub and the spare wheel well in the boot.

I've had this part number given to me: part no & price for space saver wheel

42611-0F090 £44.17 + VAT

I've now asked for the size of the tyre to fit the wheel (I can't imagine that it's included in that price!) and I'm waiting for a response before I order one. I've been waiting since before Christmas so I may give RRG a reminder. However, if you can find those details yourself I'd be obliged if you would pass them on

Hi oozat,

If read the whole of this thread, I have listed tyre sizes and part numbers you require.

Hope it helps.

Hi oozat,

If read the whole of this thread, I have listed tyre sizes and part numbers you require.

Hope it helps.

But the part number you quote is different from the one I was given!

Now I'm even more confused.

Perhaps Parts King could enlighten us on the differences between

42652-05250 which you have and

42611-0F090 which is the part number I've been given for a wheel that does fit hub and boot!

Regards

Hi oozat,

Hope it helps.

But the part number you quote is different from the one I was given!

Now I'm even more confused.

Perhaps Parts King could enlighten us on the differences between

42652-05250 which you have and

42611-0F090 which is the part number I've been given for a wheel that does fit hub and boot!

Regards

Nothing to be confused about, the first number is for the wheel and tyre combined (approx £116.50 +VAT), and the second is just for the wheel ( approx £44.17 +VAT). I personally wouldn't go for the combined solution as I think the tyre is too small, but it's up to you. However, it is near impossible to get the smaller tyre on its own.

I managed to acquire the wheel on its own for £15 (luckily) and the 80 ratio tyre for around £60 and it all fits in the boot. Glad to hear it fits the hub, but will confirm as stated previously.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links