Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius - Locked Out - Key-remote And Manual Key Suddenly Not Working

ThreeCities

Prius - we're locked out. Both key remotes suddenly not working. Manual key doesn't open it either.

Would be grateful for advice on how to get into it. And how to lock it again.

Thanks

Are you sure it’s your car and not somebody else’s?

That was my first thought as well.

Unfortunately it IS our car that we can't get into....

So am I correct in thinking when you say manual key, you are actually putting a key n the door lock and you still can’t open it?

Is that for all doors including the boot?

Sounds bizarre :unsure:

So am I correct in thinking when you say manual key, you are actually putting a key n the door lock and you still can’t open it?

Is that for all doors including the boot?

Sounds bizarre :unsure:

And the outcome was...

The Battery had gone completely flat. Battery now replaced, and alarm and key-fobs/remotes now working again.

The problem with the manual key was that we never use it, and the lock had seized/silted up. Initally the Toyota garage people had such trouble with it that they thought we might have been given the wrong key on purchase. But some time and a lot of WD40 later, they managed to turn it and get into the car.

Dead Battery? Was this the all singing all dancing 'under the boot' Battery? how much did THAT cost to replace? Is the car under warranty?

• 3 weeks later...
Prius - we're locked out. Both key remotes suddenly not working. Manual key doesn't open it either.

Would be grateful for advice on how to get into it. And how to lock it again.

Thanks

Hi There,

Just had the same thing happen to me with a brand new car -only had it three weeks -battery is fine.Put a new post on this site to see if anyone else had experienced this.Weird thing is after a few hours the car will then open using either method.Today it cost me dear-was late for work and had to get a cab there.Not happy!!

• 6 months later...

My Prius has just started acting up in the same way. I use either of the remotes and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. My manual key works fine. Am tending to only use the manual key so the alarm doesn't get set.

The car is 2 and a half months old - anyone have any resolution to the issue?

My Prius has just started acting up in the same way. I use either of the remotes and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. My manual key works fine. Am tending to only use the manual key so the alarm doesn't get set.

The car is 2 and a half months old - anyone have any resolution to the issue?

Hi

If the car is only 2 1/2 months old then it's still under warantey, take it back to Toyota it could just need a system reset...

Good Luck and welcome to the club

Pete

Dead battery? Was this the all singing all dancing 'under the boot' battery? how much did THAT cost to replace? Is the car under warranty?

12 volt Battery in the boot. Not the HV Battery.

Mart.

• 4 years later...

We are in the same situation now. Our Prius 2007 is locked out. Both key remote and mechanical key not working. I have used the mechanical key before and it worked fine. Any suggestions and ideas to open the car..

Breakdown service??

I have read that the mechanical lock can seize up because it doesn't get used.

Have you tried a dose of WD40?

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! First time poster here but I spent a good portion of my day dealing with this issue and wanted to post my findings/research so that it goes smoother for someone else later. This is my advice for someone who is NOT mechanically inclined, just like me. First though, you guys are awesome and I'm super glad you made this post, it saved some major grief and was near the top of my google results which is always nice. For anyone else having issues with , please read on.

Moving on, the key fob and manual key not working are probably two separate problems. First, the manual key. Since it doesn't get used often, the lock tends to corrode/rust/silt up from disuse. My wife was able to turn it when I wasn't looking (made me feel reeealll strong ;) but other posters recommend spraying WD40 in the lock and around the edges. It will penetrate and loosen the lock hopefully.

Second, the non responsive key fob. Make sure it is the car not responding and not a dead Battery in the key fob. The key fob batteries are easily replaceable, just look up a tutorial on YouTube or Google. If the red light on the fob activates when you press "unlock", it's probably not the fob, but the car having trouble. There are a number of reasons this might be, but the most common appears to be a lack of power from the starter Battery. The Prius has a starter Battery ,just like other cars, and a high voltage power bank (or "traction battery") that runs the hybrid engine. Best case scenario, the starter needs a simple jump start. Worst case, the entire power bank needs to be replaced which is serious time and $$$$. This is unlikely though, so don't freak out! Even if there is a problem with the power bank, there are Places which will test and install individual cells in the HV traction battery, taking a three thousandish dollar repair down to around $800ish (please excuse the U.S. Denominations, I have no clue what it is in euros or any other currency, sorry!). The trouble is finding someone to do the work, because ye average mechanic doesn't seem to like Prius' to begin with, let alone peeling open a bank of high voltage cells inside! BUT AGAIN, this is not common. What is common is draining the starter battery! Maybe it is bad and needs a replacement, but even if not, the advice is the same: jump start your Prius, drive it to a mechanic or auto parts store (often the cheaper option) and have them test your starter battery and the alternator while they are at it. If it passes inspection, good! You should figure out how you drained it and not do that again! Call ahead to make sure they stock Prius batteries too (as I write this in 2015, I was able to find starter batteries for $220 at an auto parts store and $365 with install at a mechanics). The Prius is very particular about starter batteries, so double check that it is a compatible battery.

In my case, I drained the battery by accidentally leaving the headlights on all night. Apparently, the lights stay on when you park, until you exit the drivers side door. But I exited on the passenger side because my neighbor's sprinkler system was misting the driver door. So, by leaving on the passenger side, the lights stayed on all night because I didn't want to get wet for two seconds! Still, I'm grateful it wasn't something that a quick jump start wouldn't fix! Good luck to you!

• 6 years later...

Can’t get into my 2006 Prius with the key fob or the manual key. It is making a beeping sound

9 minutes ago, Linda Dugi said:

Can’t get into my 2006 Prius with the key fob or the manual key. It is making a beeping sound

2 hours ago, Linda Dugi said:

2 hours ago, Linda Dugi said:

How can I get into the car

Have you read the previous posts in this thread?

Your profile says your location is Other/Non-UK.  Are you able to say where your location is?

• 1 year later...

hey, I am also having the same trouble my physical key is not working how to solve the issue?

18 hours ago, vinnivinni12 said:

hey, I am also having the same trouble my physical key is not working how to solve the issue?

Hi, 

spray some wd-40 inside and insert in and out the key. Don’t try to turn yet. Leave it for overnight and try if it work next day, if good add some oil inside and lock unlock few times, if no success spray more wd -40 and repeat next day, eventually it will work. Do that every 6 months as preventative maintenance and you will be ok. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links