Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ratios And Speeds Mr2 Mk2 Na

Mr2_NA

Im shocked!

40 in 1st

76 in 2nd

105 in 3rd

All hitting 7k.

not had the bottle to push higher than that as the weather heres been aweful and roads full of psyco bikers!

Are these speeds normal?

Anyway of pushing my engine abit higher say to 8k with abit of tech wizardry?

Why do you want to increase the revs? Changing gear will be much easier.

That engine was designed to produce its power within that rev range and increasing the revs won't help because you won't be able to supply it with fuel and air quickly enough for it to produce more power anyway. Engines that rev faster, e.g. the 1.8 190 in the Celicas and Corollas have high lift cams to enable them to breathe fast enough to cope with the higher revs. You'll have to do a tonne of work to get anything like the revs that those cars get, and in the process you'll lose torque and reliability which will defeat the object.

If it's more power you're looking for then the solution is a tubby or a Camry V6 conversion.

the speeds are normal, but your speedo will be out, so you are not really hitting those exact speeds at each gear change

uprating the cams will enable the car to rev higher, on my 1993 3sge NA, i've put piper 264 cams (for celica vvti 190, 285 profile), but this just shifts the powerband and keeps the duration for longer and maximises lift, my engine will now rev to about 8500 :D , but there is no point in going that high as the power is still not released that high up

as said the reliability has gone down, its really lumpy and doesnt idle well, no way will it idle at 800 rpm like a stock engine, i can barely get it to idle at 1200 rpm lol, but it does have a lightened flywheel on there too. It stalls when ever it can basically, it just never certain when pulling to a junction whether its going to idle or not, so all 3 pedals are being worked with heel n toe to keep the car running....

as for the power and torque, it is ALOT more smoother with the cams and fly, i was surprised, but i was expecting a loss of torque, the fact is there is a definate increase in low down torque (from 2500rpm), and at 4500rpm, you can feel the cams just want to kick off and hit you in the face! It is ALOT different from a stock 3sge engine, maybe because it is fully rebuilt, and it has alot of other tweaks in there too ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I didnt know if the engine would lose power after the limiter kicks in!

So it does then!

Right so my speeds out, but how far out? Does anyone elses do roughly the same speeds?

• 3 weeks later...
Im shocked!

40 in 1st

76 in 2nd

105 in 3rd

All hitting 7k.

not had the bottle to push higher than that as the weather heres been aweful and roads full of psyco bikers!

Are these speeds normal?

Anyway of pushing my engine abit higher say to 8k with abit of tech wizardry?

Bikers are not all psyco's !!!!! I ride a 05 fireblade , i reckon im well careful , all my crashes have involved a car not seeing me !!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, its not all, but come TT week the majority go nuts cutting blind corners. If I had a wide arch kit, there would be a few headless bikers now!