Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Air Vents

newravman

All of a sudden there is no air at all coming from the vents above the radio or the vents near the doors when I set the controls to (arrow pointing at face). It only seems to be blowing from the footwell vents, even though I don't have feet/face selected.

Air will come from the vents near the doors if I press the button that is supposed to blow air onto the front windscreen. Am I missing anything obvious before I have to take it down the dealers?

Thanks.

Can you change your profile to show which model you have?

If it is a 4.3 try switching the system off then press outo again then face level ventilation.

If it is a 4.3 try switching the system off then press outo again then face level ventilation.

Hi, profile changed for you. What is "outo", or is it a typo? Cheers.

Hi, profile changed for you. What is "outo", or is it a typo? Cheers.

Hi +welcome, for outo read auto, not trying to be funny, but have you consulted your handbook? it does show where air should be coming from for various settings, although must admit controls do seem a bit complicated, eventually you do seem to be able to get the temp that you want, apart from warm feet and a cool face, which doesn't appear to be an option :thumbsup:

Hi Local Hero - thanks for your reply. Also not trying to be funny but when I turn the controls to "blow air at my face", I kind of expect air to come out of the centre vents, which it patently ain't! Have done what Anchorman suggested with no joy so I guess a call to the service dept is my next move.

It was a typo!

The heater volume should be as follows (the bigger the O the more the volume)(click the black bar to zoom in);

airvolume.jpg

and it should be distributed like this;

airflow.jpg

You can interogate the heater system to see if it has any errors stored. Switch the ignition off then while simultaniously pressing auto and recirc switch it back on;

entertest.jpg

All the indicators will flash 4 times then the computer will enter self diagnosis mode (at any time pressing the "off" button will terminate the test);

testset.jpg

Press the ricirc button again. the heater will check all the servos so wait until it has finished whirring and messing about or press the auto button to extract any codes. They will be shown as a 2 digit flashing code like this;

faultstored.jpg

If there is more than one code they will be displayed in ascending order. If they are difficult to read you can scroll through them by pressing the "def" switch. There are too many codes for me to list so tell me what they are and I will let you know what they mean. The chances are that Toyota will have to fix it so be sure to record the codes but you might be able to completely restart the heater by doing the following. Press and hold the two demister buttons like this;

clearcodes.jpg

The display will read zero as shown. Remove the ECU B2 fuse in the No 2 relay block for at least 60 seconds;

No2relayblock.jpg.

There is one final check you can make if that doesn't work. This will check the synchronisation of the heater controls with the servos and blower. Follow all the steps above but after doing the code check test, press the recirc button again to enter the next phase. The heater will progress through 10 steps starting at zero and the display (showing 5 in this case) will look like this;

step3.jpg

It will cycle through the numbers and change the settings according to this chart;

testchart.jpg

Check that it does what it says on the chart. You can pause it at any stage by pressing auto and start it again by pressing recirc. There is a typo that says lever - it should be level. This is as much as you can do. Its off for surgery after this but I can tell you what might need doing if there are codes.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Bizarely, before I had worked up the courage to start messing with error codes and the like - it has fixed itself!! I am boss of my airflow once again!!

My thanks to Anchorman and Localhero who took time to try and help me - Cheers.

Bizarely, before I had worked up the courage to start messing with error codes and the like - it has fixed itself!! I am boss of my airflow once again!!

My thanks to Anchorman and Localhero who took time to try and help me - Cheers.

Forget the thanks - just send them money! The puir souls deserve it. anchormans away oan holiday soon an Local hero needs one.

• 8 years later...

Anchorman's post was on target. I never knew there was a diagnotstic mode, and it showed everything working normally

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hello Anchorman,

Thanks for the excellent diagnostic! I have a 2007 RAV4 with codes 21, 24 and 41.  Is there information available about what's wrong and can it be fixed w/o going to official dealer?

• 3 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links