Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Sr 1.6l Multimode.2008

KARNAK

Hi,

We presently have 2 Toyota Corollas 2005 model 1.6 automatic transmission. We are thinking of changing to 2 Auris SR model 1.6L MM transmission however have been reading a lot of negative reports about the MM, such as clunking sounds, high reving, jerkiness as the car changes gear and an indication of unhappiness on the part of the owners. Because of these negative and worrying comments we are having second thoughts about even changing cars considering that in 3 years one car has less than 10 thousand miles and the other less than 13 thousand miles.

Some of the websites have suggested that Toyota know there is a problem with the MM and the sites say it would not require much to fix the problem, others say it will not belong before Toyota bring out a FULLY AUTOMATIC again. In other words "IF IT AINT BROKEN DONT MESS WITH IT".

Does anyone know if in fact Toyota will bring back fully automatic for the Auris, ANY COMMENTS WELCOME PLEASE

As a former Corolla owner and now an Auris owner, I would say that unless you need to change, keep the Corolla's. I am not unhappy with my Auris but disappointed particularly with the interior quality and materials used. Just lets the car down in my opinion. I have a manual though so can't comment about the multimode but I am aware some owners have criticisms of it

Hi,

I can't comment on the petrol Auris MM, but I have the 1.4 and I am pleased with the car for performance and especially fuel consumption. The MM according to some is better suited to the diesel model. I have tried to get a test drive in a petrol one so I can give feedback on any differences but not been able to as yet.

I suggest take for a good extended test drive and play about with it and see how it feels.

What I can make out reading some posts, is some owners of the MMt are not adapting their driving to suit the car and are trying to drive it like a true automatic, which it clearly is not.

With regards the mileage on your own cars, I would be tempted to keep them and run them for another couple of years but if they are business cars there may be reasons you don't want to do this.

Not sure if this helps you.

Hi,

After driving a uk Auris MMT, and an Australian 2008 Corolla 4 speed auto (1.8) I have to say that the full auto was smoother in town, and at low speeds, but the MMT was better at higher speed. The paddles greatly improved the A road performance and enjoyment.

When I test drove the MMT, I thought it was great. Just have a go to see if you like it. ;)

Ian

Do not consider buying the MMT unless you have had a full 24 hour test drive !!!

As a previous poster has said some people have had problems driving the MMT smoothly but also some of the earlier versions posters have also reported mechanical problems .

Whether with updates to the design have improved the reliability of the gearbox I do not know

below is the thread from the MPV forum but must stress improvements may have been made to the design to make it more reliable

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33317

As a former Corolla owner and now an Auris owner, I would say that unless you need to change, keep the Corolla's. I am not unhappy with my Auris but disappointed particularly with the interior quality and materials used. Just lets the car down in my opinion. I have a manual though so can't comment about the multimode but I am aware some owners have criticisms of it

Have to agree.We have an 04 Corolla Auto made in Japan and a 57 Auris 2.0d4d Manual and in my opinion The Corolla is a better car.Build quality and interior trim is much better.As for MMT we got rid of ours and went back to a manual.However my wife is now really annoyed about it.I would like to try the paddle shift MMT fitted to the 1.4d4d before I gave a detailed opinion as they are supposed to have improved it.

Auris seems to have quite better build quality than old Corolla. Sure old Corolla had softer plastic but that caused a lot of problems with wear and tear over longer time.

And besides that, for many other reasons I like Auris a LOT better than Corolla. Had Corolla TS for 3 years and it was great engine. But Auris is completly different vehicle, for better of it.

As to MMT - you need to get used to it, and you have to think a bit before using it. My wife has 1.6l MMT and it is fine - it changes faster than I would and you simply have to remember to lift the foot off the gas pedal before changing gears. And voila - very smooth shift.

Big plus is that compared to normal AT, it doesnt take any performance out of the car and mpg is the same.

Of course, traditional AT will always be smoother.

Auris seems to have quite better build quality than old Corolla. Sure old Corolla had softer plastic but that caused a lot of problems with wear and tear over longer time.

And besides that, for many other reasons I like Auris a LOT better than Corolla. Had Corolla TS for 3 years and it was great engine. But Auris is completly different vehicle, for better of it.}

Fair enough about above comments about the Auris ( i do have one now!) but I disagree about the durability of the interior and materials on the Auris - i felt my corolla's interior was built to last - I don't feel the Auris interior will stand the test of time

I have had a few MMT Auris and they are superb. Those that harp on about poor MMT are those who have never driven one or are talking about Verso MMT which did have problems.

We have had no major problems with Auris MMT at all, the only complaint you could possibly make is that it drops to 1st gear when going slowly, when 2nd gear would be better but that is not a complaint just an observation

Who knows how long MMT will be here? There is a new auto gearbox for Avensis diesel lined up next years model, you may see that option in other models but I dont think anything has been decided

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have had a few MMT Auris and they are superb. Those that harp on about poor MMT are those who have never driven one or are talking about Verso MMT which did have problems.

We have had no major problems with Auris MMT at all, the only complaint you could possibly make is that it drops to 1st gear when going slowly, when 2nd gear would be better but that is not a complaint just an observation

Who knows how long MMT will be here? There is a new auto gearbox for Avensis diesel lined up next years model, you may see that option in other models but I dont think anything has been decided

At long last a diesel auto box is going to be in the offering for buyers :)

Those that harp on about poor MMT are those who have never driven one or are talking about Verso MMT which did have problems.

You would not be talking about me by any chance :D but did stress improvements may have been made

You would not be talking about me by any chance :D but did stress improvements may have been made

No bjw I wasnt angling that one in your direction :D: I don't faff about the bush, I name and shame when I have summat to say :lol: It was a generalisation, I get loads of emails and PM's from people asking about various models and MMT comes up quite a bit, the only trouble is people knock it before trying it. You know the type of comment, "I was going to buy an MMT but there no good....are they?" without ever stepping inside one. Auris MMT is superb, but dont take my word for it, try one

And besides that, for many other reasons I like Auris a LOT better than Corolla. Had Corolla TS for 3 years and it was great engine. But Auris is completly different vehicle, for better of it.

As to MMT - you need to get used to it, and you have to think a bit before using it. My wife has 1.6l MMT and it is fine - it changes faster than I would and you simply have to remember to lift the foot off the gas pedal before changing gears. And voila - very smooth shift.

Big plus is that compared to normal AT, it doesnt take any performance out of the car and mpg is the same.

Of course, traditional AT will always be smoother.

I'm with doobs re quality I'm afraid. IMHO the interior quality of my E12 Corolla wipes the floor with the Auris which represents a very significant backward step with harsh cheap plastics and a Fisher Price toy-like dashboard generally. I would have considered trading my Corolla in for the Auris this year but not now having had a good look at the Auris. All I'm getting for my money is a car that looks not a million miles different from what I have and has a way poorer interior quality. No thanks.

Haven't tried MMT so it would be silly of me to even think about passing comments. I can say though that I have a fully automatic box and it is really smooth and feels great.

Many thanks for your comments and the information provided. We shall be test driving an Auris MMT over this weekend before making any decisions but we feel a little more confident having read your comments. Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links