Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

02 Plate Rav4 Headunit... Whats The Situation With Upgrading It?

tokm

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before somewhere else, I did search around trying head unit, radio, etc. But didn't turn up anything of use.

Looking to upgrade the head unit in my rav4, going to try Halfords tomorrow, but thought I'd ask on here, see if anyone can help...

Because its not your usual standard shape car head unit and is pretty much part of the dash/centre console, I was wondering whats the possibility of fitting/getting fitted, a new head unit.. Just want the ability to play MP3 CD's mainly.

There's a further twist.. I've got the Toyota (i assume its the standard one as the previous owners bought the car from new with it as one of the options from the dealer) 6-disc CD changer in there too. Is it likely to be compatible with any, non-Toyota, head unit?

Don't really know much/anything about car audio.. pro/live PA & sound systems.. ask me anything, but this part of it, its pretty much zilch. So for all I know, this and all CD changers could just use some standard interface that allows near 100% compatibility. Same with the head unit.. could be some little insert that goes in the place of the current head unit that allows a new one/standard shape to be fitted. I just don't know..

Cheers in advance for any help people can offer.

Tom

very quick summary ...

You got a double-din unit in there, plus a little bit extra each side, so you can buy a double-din unit and little fillers to cover the gaps each side (info on web and this site).

if you buy a single-din unit, you can get another single-din blank to cover the extra hole (still need the little fillers each side.

unlikely you can use the toyota changer on another unit - and nowadays CD-Changers are pretty worthless second hand as most new units will play MP3s on CDs - so that is like having 10-20 CDs on one disc - as you already know by the sound of it

You will also lose the computer function and the temp gauge unless you want to get real technical.

If all you want to go is play MP3s then an adapter that lets you connect an MP3 player in maybe a better option (look at connects2.com). It is possible to get a changer that plays MP3s as well - I have a 10-Disc changer that I can load with MP3 CDs - so upto 67GB of music - via FM connection.

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before somewhere else, I did search around trying head unit, radio, etc. But didn't turn up anything of use.

Looking to upgrade the head unit in my rav4, going to try Halfords tomorrow, but thought I'd ask on here, see if anyone can help...

Because its not your usual standard shape car head unit and is pretty much part of the dash/centre console, I was wondering whats the possibility of fitting/getting fitted, a new head unit.. Just want the ability to play MP3 CD's mainly.

There's a further twist.. I've got the Toyota (i assume its the standard one as the previous owners bought the car from new with it as one of the options from the dealer) 6-disc CD changer in there too. Is it likely to be compatible with any, non-Toyota, head unit?

Don't really know much/anything about car audio.. pro/live PA & sound systems.. ask me anything, but this part of it, its pretty much zilch. So for all I know, this and all CD changers could just use some standard interface that allows near 100% compatibility. Same with the head unit.. could be some little insert that goes in the place of the current head unit that allows a new one/standard shape to be fitted. I just don't know..

Tom

Tom - you should be ashamed. Get yersel along tae Maplins or similar and get an inverter. Next is to fit up the lights; LED Control Units (I use Arcpower 144); a couple of 500watt Speakers and a Beuhringer (spelling?) 1000watt amp with a 10 channel control; and if yer keen a wireless mike; shove in whatever output ye want intae the amp and take it frae there. Personally, I also have a dozen cheerleaders who come along tae gie it a bit o atmosphere ye ken.

This fixation wi heid units an Din Dins is fur the auld an ancient. Lets bring some music intae motoring big time. See giein the amp lalldie oan the drag strip, then takin aff gies the punters sumpthin tae remember ye ken. Latest launch time 2 seconds frae standing start. Leaves aw the ithers speechless amongst their burning rubber.

yer man

In addition to Hoovies excellent advice, try sending Bitman a PM, he also know's his stuff :thumbsup:

Hi,

Tom

HI TOKM if you go to RAV 4 photos page 26 theres a guy called Bitman, posted pics of his 4.2 with a superb head unit fitted. might give you some ideas :thumbsup: or see here..

kenwood7200-01.jpg

Hi,

Tom

----------------------------------------

Hi i changed my 01 rav headunit with a JVC mp3 unit from Halfords, what they do is order a Shell to cover the large spaces and leave a gap for the actual head unit, the excess space can be used to place cd's or the remote control. the Speakers are very good in the Rav as my headunit gives out 200W and the original Speakers carry this very well at loud volume.

they will be able to fit the system there for you, but i say shop around at different Halfords make sure the people fitting your system know what there doing.

hope this helps a lil. :thumbsup:

Cheers for all the help guys.

Spoke to my local (super) Halfords & they basically said what Mr_Meeks & Hoovie said, so glad to know they weren't just talking out their you know whats!

I'll probably go for something double din, just to avoid having the blank panel.. their all well within what I'm prepared to pay.. Just got to see if there's one that has a internal changer.. heard they exist. Would be happy for one that did that rather than having a big screen.

Anyways, thanks again for all your help! Sounds all very simple now, just with it looking so integrated & non standard, I thought I'd ask around!

Tom

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links