Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Expected Life Of Fanbelt And Some Noise From The Exhaust

dr_roy

Folks,

At roughly 55k miles my fan belt was replaced by mr T. The Toyota garage said it was damaged, so fair enough I had it replaced. Roughly a year later it started making squealing noise, since the "warranty" on replacement parts is 12 months nothing was replaced, they took it out and sanded it, no visible wear and tear but every morning especially when its been cold and wet it is making a lot of noise until the engine heats up. Prior to me buying the car (<55k) I believe the belt has been replaced once.

The clock is now at roughly 75k miles. The new belt started making noise after less than 10k miles.

I second problem has appeared quite recently, at roughly 1850-1950rpm the end piece on the exhaust is making a rattling sound, at any other RPM it is operating without this rattling. I have tried to examine it but its kinda difficult. Has anyone experienced noise from the exhaust? I am dreading a full exhaust replacement when the service is due at the end of this month.

I drive to work everyday, its about 18 miles so the engine heats up properly. The car is parked outside on a street.

Any ideas about fan belt life or about my rattling exhaust?

Cheers

Folks,

At roughly 55k miles my fan belt was replaced by mr T. The Toyota garage said it was damaged, so fair enough I had it replaced. Roughly a year later it started making squealing noise, since the "warranty" on replacement parts is 12 months nothing was replaced, they took it out and sanded it, no visible wear and tear but every morning especially when its been cold and wet it is making a lot of noise until the engine heats up. Prior to me buying the car (<55k) I believe the belt has been replaced once.

The clock is now at roughly 75k miles. The new belt started making noise after less than 10k miles.

I second problem has appeared quite recently, at roughly 1850-1950rpm the end piece on the exhaust is making a rattling sound, at any other RPM it is operating without this rattling. I have tried to examine it but its kinda difficult. Has anyone experienced noise from the exhaust? I am dreading a full exhaust replacement when the service is due at the end of this month.

I drive to work everyday, its about 18 miles so the engine heats up properly. The car is parked outside on a street.

Any ideas about fan belt life or about my rattling exhaust?

Cheers

Small update, I have booked in the car for a free "check" in about 2 weeks time, the service is due at the end of the month. I am still interested in folks ideas about my problems though...dont be shy :)

Noisy exhaust boxes tend to suggest that an internal baffle has failed. This is not an MOT matter. It's more an annoyance issue rather than anything else. That said, the exhaust gases aren't flowing as they should. This may mean that there is some back-pressure in the exhaust system which could have a small effect on fuel consumption.

Belts which squeel are usually incorrectly tensioned - generally too slack. New belts may stretch and require re-tensioning.

• 2 months later...
Noisy exhaust boxes tend to suggest that an internal baffle has failed. This is not an MOT matter. It's more an annoyance issue rather than anything else. That said, the exhaust gases aren't flowing as they should. This may mean that there is some back-pressure in the exhaust system which could have a small effect on fuel consumption.

Belts which squeel are usually incorrectly tensioned - generally too slack. New belts may stretch and require re-tensioning.

Sorry for the long delay with updates. I had the car checked out...and you were right, a part of the baffle (well something) was loose inside the "last box". So I replaced the "rear exhaust" (quite expensive but the rattling is gone). With regards to the second problem, the belt was fine but the auxiliary belt/tensioner needs replacing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links