Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 - Catalytic Convertor Problem

gordypix

So it looks like the Gen 7 (190) has need for a new CATALYTIC CONVERTOR. The Engine Managment Light came on and Toyota made the diagnosis.

They Quoted £1250 for part and fitting (yeah I know... what a complete joke...!)

The warranty should cover it BUT... The Toyota Warranty people have very conveniently found some Small Print to use against me and have rejected the claim... (yeah - they are complete..... you know whats :angry: )

SO... basically...

WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE ???

Can't afford £1250 so where else can I get it done and at what sort of costs?

Advice required peeps,

Cheers,

Gordy.

You could have a look at this site.

£237.26 Ex VAT

£293.99 Inc Vat - including delivery & exhaust paste

Online Cats?

Then I'm sure if you can't fit it yourself, you could get a garage to fit it for £100 or there abouts (just a guess). Beats £1250 from Mr.T!

You could have a look at this site.

£237.26 Ex VAT

£293.99 Inc Vat - including delivery & exhaust paste

Online Cats?

Then I'm sure if you can't fit it yourself, you could get a garage to fit it for £100 or there abouts (just a guess). Beats £1250 from Mr.T!

I recently purchased a cat from this company for my 99 gen 7 140 and my advice to you is don't use them. Yes they are cheap but there is a reason for this. The first one they sent me had a saw mark half way through it and looked like it had been welded by the work experience kid !!. The second one they sent me had one of the mounting arms missing and was scratched to hell. About 200 miles after fitting it my engine managment light came on. Toyota checked it and said it was a cat code, they checked the lambda sensors which were fine and said if it comes on again the cat needs replacing. Guess what, the light came on 3 days ago. I've just disconnected the Battery to remove the em light and i'm going to wait and see if it comes on again. Not sure if i can get them to send me a new or if i even want one from them. the thing is i know it works as it passed its MOT so not sure why its putting the light on. Any one got any ideas ?

toyauto recently quoted me £300 fitted! :)

TOYAUTO - who are they?

Any more details my friend?

Sounds like they're crap then. Sorry you're having a bad time with them Gazbrown.

I don't think I'll use them now if my Cat goes!!

Sounds like they're crap then. Sorry you're having a bad time with them Gazbrown.

I don't think I'll use them now if my Cat goes!!

Yeah but its the least of my cars trouble as a suicidal deer has just written off my car :ffs: i'm never going to be able to watch bambi again LOL

That is just f**ked up. Sorry to hear the news.

So anyone with any other ideas ?

You could call these people. They have the 140BHP (£254) listed but not the 190.

Cats direct

Or do the same for these people but its £364 for the 140BHP

car parts direct

Or £151 from this place and it's a 190!

Cats2Go

toyauto recently quoted me £300 fitted! :)

TOYAUTO - who are they?

Any more details my friend?

http://www.toyotarepairs.net/

Now ToyotaRepairs.net - they're based in North Nottingham - just off the M1, so a fair treck for you, but I'll bet travel costs & time + parts & labour = much less than Toyota themselves (theiving scum! ;))

You could call these people. They have the 140BHP (£254) listed but not the 190.

Cats direct

Or do the same for these people but its £364 for the 140BHP

car parts direct

Or £151 from this place and it's a 190!

Cats2Go

I have seen the Cats2Go one - they are the only place including going into to placeslike Formula ! that have a listing for a 190 cat...!

Toyota are really starting to annoy me thesedays....

Would fitting a 140 Cat cause any problems? I mean what could the difference be?

Would fitting a 140 Cat cause any problems? I mean what could the difference be?

At a guess seeing as the 190 has the lift, a 140 cat might choke a 190 slighty ?

No idea!

I know if I made cars, I'd design one cat to go on both to reduce costs.

Yeah but thats because you have common sence.

I know the 140 cat costs £750 from Mr T, so there must be some difference as, even the stealers can't justifiy an extra £500 for a part, just cos it fits on to a more powerful version of the car. I've just looked the two parts up on online automotive and they look totally different. On the 190 the cat itself is replacable, its just a small box where as on the 140 you have to replace the entire middle section of the exhaust.

I've done 400 miles in my car since resetting the em light (getting the most out of it before it gets written off :crybaby: ) and it has not reappeared so maybe it has settled in now. With this in mind and the fact that the rest of the problems i had with online automotives cats was to do with the poor exhaust pipe quality, coupled with the fact the 190 cat is purely the cat without any exhaust it might be worth giving them a go if you are desperate ? For a £1000 saving it could be worth a gamble i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Seems Mr T made a *****-up and had relayed information to the Warrenty people that didn't tally up with the real facts.

So the warrenty people rejected the Fix of the Cat because they thought I had exceeded the T&Cs of the service intervals.

In fact when I took out the warrenty last december the ODO was reading about 79000. The Cat Problem occurred at 86000 and I had it serviced at 83000.

Warrenty people thought when I took out the warrenty I had 62000 on the ODO and the car had massively exceeded the 10000 service intervals needed thus they rejected it.

Seeing as they get their info from the main dealer I am registered with I can see a few choice words happening when I go in there.

So after all the crud they will now Fit a NEW CAT asap...!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links