Do Not Sell My Personal Information

London Motor Show Meet

duncerduncs

£20.20?

When I first read what you typed I thought that was for the tube only, but that covers the "British Rail" part as well then :)

Where do I go to get this? ( I haven't been on a train for about 8 years!)

Life was a lot easier before all these franchises came out. It is no wonder people drive and not use trains :(

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chatman

• Hoovie

• Parts-King

• Robert6920

£20.20?

When I first read what you typed I thought that was for the tube only, but that covers the "British Rail" part as well then :)

Where do I go to get this? ( I haven't been on a train for about 8 years!)

Life was a lot easier before all these franchises came out. It is no wonder people drive and not use trains :(

Hoovie

I can tell you haven't been on a train for some time - there has been no BR for about 16 years now!!!

I can find one way fares of £20.20 including a travel card but I presume you want to go back as well. The best thing is to go to your local station booking office. If there is one closer than Aldershot that will do but they can find the best offers rather than buying online or on the train. My fare from Manchester is £14 each way from Manchester (about 10X longer than your journey).

You can try the National Enquiry Service on 08457 484950 but you will be connected to a 16 year old gal in Newcastle who thinks a train is something to trail after a wedding dress. You should go to your booking office now as fares are always offered cheaper more than 14 days before the journey.

And the bonus is that as duncs and me will be travelling you don't have to worry about us driving the train!!!

I can tell you haven't been on a train for some time - there has been no BR for about 16 years now!!!

Hasnt there!!!............Nobody told me :eek:

Last time I was on a train was from the NEC back to Chester a few years back. We had to stand up all the way until just outside Crewe, when we came upon an unlight, unheated carriage with nobody in it. We sat down, only for the clippy to come along and say "You cant sit in here.........why?........Its a health and safety issue..........Why?..........It's unlit and there is no heating.......Yer I know, but I've been standing up all the way from Birmingham, I want to sit down.........If you dont leave the carriage right now I will have you arrested at Crewe for not complying with a reasonable request!

I had to explain the error of the young clippy's ways and write to Mr Branson to get him to train his staff with a few customer skills

Hence I'm coming down on the Fokker 50............Vrooooooommm.........Chocks away!

Kingo :thumbsup:

I thought you Train guys had free travel on all the train services?

That was why I put "British Rail" in quotes ;) - I used to use ThamesLink (the old BedPan service) a lot when I lived in St Albans. That was a great service - I never bothered to check the timetable as there were 8 trains an hour into London, so just a matter of turning up and waiting 10 minutes max :thumbsup:

House to anywhere in Central London, Door to door in under an hour :)

I used www.thetrainline.com and did find the £20.20 fare that dunderduncs mentioned and it was a return as well

I put in both todays date and the 29th and the prices were the same - I did think there were all these SuperApex type fares for booking ahead, but it is soooo confusing for the occasional traveller.

Good advice on buying from the local station - my local station is unfortunately 10 miles away so it will cost a fiver to get a better price.

I guess road users will have to get used to it soon - When road pricing starts it will be £2 a mile on road unless you told us 3 years before hand you wanted to drive along it and then after 11am and before 11:15am - yadda yadda yadda

Afternoon all.... Thought I'd catch up on gossip whilst in Manchester...... Hope this comes out as browsing TOC on my Blackberry...

Did we all or some of us agree to meetup between 11 and 11:30 on 29th... Kingo is coming via Focker (flew in one of them to Rotterdam....the landing @city airport is fun...steep aproach angle to land) rest of us by privatised cattle transport better known as public transport... Did we find out if custom house on DLR is open???

....the landing @city airport is fun...steep aproach angle to land

As long as the pilot gets the Fokker on the runwy I don't mind :eek: I might pop some undies into my man bag.....just in case the approach angle is steeper than normal

Robert: As I will be there before you, I shall amuse myself watching your Cityjet plummet to the tarmac (pulling up gently as the tarmac nears you understand) :lol:

Hence I'm coming down on the Fokker 50............Vrooooooommm.........Chocks away!

Is that one of those flocking fokker 50 turbo flockin props ? Been on one myself :eek:

That's it Dave, wind the elastic band up and oooorf you jolly well go! Not often you can mention Fokkers and Flocking in the same sentance :D:

Is the Fokker gonna let you bring the Flocking stuff with you or do we just have to carry on watching the Flocking Action on-line?

Just checking out my journey and I see that Custom House DLR is closed now until next year!. Only been to Excel once before so not au fair with best alternatives. I think it is Canning Town on Jubilee Line, but may be worth checking for those guys gettin public transport.

Now a Question: My plan is to get a Train from Aldershot to Waterloo. Any tips on getting the cheapest fare, considering I will be arriving after 10am?

Take a shotgun and hijack the train!

Just to clear a few things up...

Custom House is open!

Hoovie, your ticket can be booked in advance or on the day, it'll be the same price (you must arrive in London after 10am)

British Rail is dead, long live British Rail! :lol:

I could fly EXT-MAN-CLY instead of driving :lol:

It cost me £60 in fuel to drive to Wembley, plus umpteen hours in the car and back at 10 at night, and the most important thing was I could'nt have a :beer: The flight option is looking better all the time ;)

Now i am 99% certain, i can't make this,, But i really fancy it, so if i get my daft head on and just decide to drive down there, God knows the RAV could do with a decent run :yes: can you park there? is it easy to get to? last time i was in the docklands, was when i ran the london marathon in 1987,LOL couldn,t run to save my life now! would i be better parking on the outskirts and getting the tube or train in? any suggestions :thumbsup:

Now i am 99% certain, i can't make this,, But i really fancy it, so if i get my daft head on and just decide to drive down there, God knows the RAV could do with a decent run :yes: can you park there? is it easy to get to? last time i was in the docklands, was when i ran the london marathon in 1987,LOL couldn,t run to save my life now! would i be better parking on the outskirts and getting the tube or train in? any suggestions :thumbsup:

The simple answer to all those questions is yes and no! :lol:

There is limited parking at the ExCel, but it's expensive and you'll probably end up paying the congestion charge :angry:

I would park on the outskirts and get the Underground/DLR in :thumbsup:

I shall amuse myself watching your Cityjet plummet to the tarmac (pulling up gently as the tarmac nears you understand) :lol:

Well, my place effectively closed yesterday afternoon after the radar system sat down (nothing to do with me, honest) causing Michael O'Leary (he of Ryanair) to fulminate on the radio about Ireland being closed :o and thousands of passengers had their flights cancelled. So we've had a busy time, but should be back to normal by 29th.....

I usually trust the pilot to land it ok. They are, after all, at the front, and therefore have the original "vested interest" in making sure it gets down in one piece. You don't often hear of a plane reversing into the runway (and no, I don't want to hear about one that did :ermm: )

Robert: Did you hear the one about.....................Maybe not, I heard that on the news last night, I thought you might be a busy boy

Local Hero: Get on the Fokker with me and we can discuss flocking :eek: ,) I was going to drive but couldnt be bothered with the hassle and cost of fuel, the Auris 1.6 is not the most prudent of cars! I will be sampling some of that Southern softie :beer: while I'm there :D:

Reminds me of the Stan Boardman joke;

BBC wartime interviewer to Polish RAF pilot;

"Tell me what was this air battle like?"

Polish pilot;

"Vell vone Focke came out of zer sun and anozer Focke came from 12 O' Clock - it vos scarey"

BBC interviewer;

........and how does the Spitfire handle in combat against the Focke-Wulf?

Polish pilot with puzzled look;

Zese vern't Focke Wulfs zey vere Meschersmitts!

Nice one AM. I just cant help the boyish references to Fokkers and Flocking :D:

I hope that Polish pilot isnt flying our Fokker, dont want any confusion on the flight deck and have to hot foot it from Heathrow when he drops in at the wrong airport :eek:

I hope that Polish pilot isnt flying our Fokker, dont want any confusion on the flight deck and have to hot foot it from Heathrow when he drops in at the wrong airport :eek:

Now one shouldn't jest about such things...

Ooops!

Californian Ooops!

I am old enough to remember someone landing by mistake at Northolt instead of LHR. They had to take the seats out of it, put two cup fulls of Jet-A1 in the fueltanks and pray a lot before they could hop from Northolt to Heathrow. That's why the gasometers used to have arrows painted on their tops, pointing to the airport.....

:D: :D: I have read that Ryanair story on the AAIB website, the pilot blamed a heavy workrate for the error :unsure: He wants to man the phones here for a day if he thinks the workrate is high! I thought they just flew down a radar beam these days.......or not in the case of DUB yesterday :lol:

That's why the gasometers used to have arrows painted on their tops, pointing to the airport.....

They still do! There's a blue one with a large 'LH' painted on the side :lol:

Now one shouldn't jest about such things...

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

A few years ago, before the budget airlines were common and before our company travel policy changed, there were several of us involved in a project which needed regular trips to France. It was cheaper to hire a plane (Piper Navajo) than for us all to change at Paris CDG with "Air Chance" (that's what my French colleagues call it!).

The first time, the pilot was lined up for the approach, then realised he was preparing to land at the nearby military base rather than the civil airport. :rolleyes: In his defence I think the ILS (instrument landing system) was switched off at the time.

Still the best way to fly I reckon:

• No hanging around in airports
  • No security or passport checks
  • Check in was "are we all here lads? OK off we go then"
  • Load your own baggage
  • In flight catering was a tin of biscuits
  • On board "facilities" was an empty wine bottle
  • Take it in turns to be the "co-pilot". (Included plastic underwear, should the pilot decide to conk out during the trip :D)
  • Use as many electronic gadgets as you want

I loved it! But the best bit for me was the pilot switching to his "posh pilot" accent to talk to air traffic control, then immediately back to "best brummie" to chat to me. I had difficulty keeping a straight face :D

1. duncerdunc + Mrs duncerdincs

2. Chatman + little miss chatchick

3. Anchorman

4. Hoovie

5. Parts King

6. Robert6920

7. Local Hero (if he can pull his finger out and actually go :rolleyes: )

Any more add your names to the list..

Meeting up at the West Entrance via Custom House DLR station (as you lot need your tickets from dunc) :lol: :lol: :lol: @ between 11 & 11:30 on the 29th

PM nearer date to firm up mobiles etc..

Hang on Chatman, thats a bit unfair, It will cost me a days earnings! (roughly £3.50p) so i might have to go round with a hat if thats ok? Do you know any good pie +mash places? and will i need to learn, apples + pears, norf+sarf, dog+bone, is the water safe to drink or would you advise me to bring bottles with me? How will you recognise me, as i imagine there will be a lot of folk in clogs + a cloth cap, but not so many with a whippet, are dogs allowed in Excel or will there be somewhere to tie him to outside, Have to go now + pack me trunk, for the big trip.. :yahoo:

I've polished my clogs already...

I have some old German Marks and Italian Lira left from a few years back if that helps Stew? I shall toss them in yer cloth cap from the cockpit of me Fokker .......Tally ho

Hang on Chatman, thats a bit unfair, It will cost me a days earnings! (roughly £3.50p) so i might have to go round with a hat if thats ok? Do you know any good pie +mash places? and will i need to learn, apples + pears, norf+sarf, dog+bone, is the water safe to drink or would you advise me to bring bottles with me? How will you recognise me, as i imagine there will be a lot of folk in clogs + a cloth cap, but not so many with a whippet, are dogs allowed in Excel or will there be somewhere to tie him to outside, Have to go now + pack me trunk, for the big trip.. :yahoo:

;) ;) ;) You may need to speak slowly so us southerners can understand you..also there may be a different way in for all you northerners... through the metal detectors.

Your whippet will have to go in the dog pound along with all the other pitt bulls and bull dogs :P the other dogs are allowed in as they have to stand next to the cars :D (speacially bread in Essex for such prestigious shows :) :) )