Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1992 J Previa - Gearbox And Rear Differential Query

Hello all,

New to the forum but looking forward to joining in as much as possible.

I have just purchased a 1992 Previa Manual with 186,000 miles on the clock. There is a kind of rumble / drone from the rear axle / wheels. I have been advised that it may be the differential or bearings. If this is the problem is it easy to repair or for that matter expensive?

I also have a problem selecting gears when the car is stationary, but not when in motion? Could the 2 problems be linked in any way?

Many thanks :o

Get your car up on blocks so that the rear wheels are off the ground. Then grip each wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and push back and forth then do the same at 9 and 3 oclock and feel for any movement either way. If you have play and it feels as though the wheel is rocking on its shaft then it could be wheel bearings. My money though is on the diff and my advice would be try and get a second hand one from a car that has done less mileage than yours.

The difficulty engaging gears is probably down to a poorly adjusted clutch or a clutch that is on its way out. If your clutch takes very close to the floor then I would suggest adjustment is necessary. Also check the gear box (and diff for that matter) for oil leaks. If either is leaking you must drain and refill with clean oil AFTER THAT IS, you have rectified the source of the leak.

Best of luck

Get your car up on blocks so that the rear wheels are off the ground. Then grip each wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and push back and forth then do the same at 9 and 3 oclock and feel for any movement either way. If you have play and it feels as though the wheel is rocking on its shaft then it could be wheel bearings. My money though is on the diff and my advice would be try and get a second hand one from a car that has done less mileage than yours.

The difficulty engaging gears is probably down to a poorly adjusted clutch or a clutch that is on its way out. If your clutch takes very close to the floor then I would suggest adjustment is necessary. Also check the gear box (and diff for that matter) for oil leaks. If either is leaking you must drain and refill with clean oil AFTER THAT IS, you have rectified the source of the leak.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice. I have priced up a second hand diff from a 60,000 mile car. I have been quoted £129.00 all in, including delivery.

Does this sound reasonable?

Yes but be advised that these cars used two completely different diffs. One was part of a solid axle and the other an independant suspension set up. Make sure you know what you are buying and what you will be getting.

Yes but be advised that these cars used two completely different diffs. One was part of a solid axle and the other an independant suspension set up. Make sure you know what you are buying and what you will be getting.

OK. Many thanks for your advice. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links