Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Or Manual?

Leeky

67 members have voted

1. 1. Automatic Or Manual?

• Automatic
    • Manual
    • Neither, im a smart ass and have the Triptronic Box ;-)

Just fancied making a Poll as there is hardly ever a Poll on this Forum.

Also because i havent made my mind up yet as to a manual or Auto Supra.

My dad says Auto box would help me keep control and make it easier to use the supra's mammoth power. Also i've driven the J-Spec Manual and i have to say the clutch was VERY heavy. Is the uk car the same?

But then again you gotta love the ability to make those racing gear changes and the satisfaction of knowing the gear your in. Then on top of that is got to be tha fact you got 6 fw gears.

Tough decision :wacko:

This is something your gonna need to find out yourself. Many a auto hater has ended up with an auto. The auto box on any gen supra is a marvellous bit of kit. And the manual has never been known for its smoothness.

Until you drive both, your never be able to make your mind up.

Plus with your criteria, you'll be looking for years if you set your mind on one or the other :D

ERm, Nick are you talkisn about the same mk3 supra I am? :P because the mk3 supra auto box is worse then total rubish!! -if it wasn't I'm not have gone to the trouble of swaping from auto to manual!!!!!!!

mk4 supra is a totally different kettle of fish.. and alltho I can't talk for the tip tronic, the auto is very smooth and clever, and kicks down just when you want it to!!!!

just beware of min corner kickdowns.. nothing worse then the rear wheels suddenly spinning mid tight corner!!!

For sure joy of driving and knowing what to expect from the motor, the stick can't be beat.

Grabbing gears around conners is great fun...........

then if you spend much time driving is stop and go traffic. it won't take long before you want to grab the guy in front of you and pull him from his car so you can have a auto.

Plus auto's unlike clutches don't need rebuilt every 50 or so thousand miles. Labor bills, labor bills, labor bills.

My last car was a Grand Am with a Quad 4 in it. For a 4 banger that motor flew. Drove the same car and motor with a auto hooked to it.....All I can say is the auto was way slower. It wouild shift before I could get into the power band of the Quad.

So I would let the amount of traffic help decide what you want to drive/shift all the time.

All I can say is the auto was way slower. It wouild shift before I could get into the power band of the Quad.

So I would let the amount of traffic help decide what you want to drive/shift all the time.

Your forgetting on the supras the auto boxes are switchable, manual modes, for allowing you to change gear yourself, sports mode, allowing the engine to redline before changing gear.

They also !Removed! the igniton during gear change (apart from when in sport mode) to get a smother gear change.

.3 of a second slower than a manual 0-60 on paper.......but in the real world they proving to be quicker, especially on the 1/4 mile runs.

Granted.. I think my torque converter had seen better days!!

Well you must of had a ******* box then Charlie, cause mines great  :lol:

mines great too ! although its more of a soarer box than a supra box but hey, still great.

Autos can be quicker in certain situations, dragging for a start, and are definately the better choice overall. Loads of advantages, all of which have been mentioned a thousand times on other forums. I miss a manual, but only for the launches... once you get going the auto is infinitely better.

mine was crap then :(

furthermore proof that this cruel world is ganging up on me :crybaby:

Totally manual! :thumbsup:

i like to decide when to shift or not. I reaally dont like sport cars with auto, it some kind of odd to see that :blink: . ( Im not talking about secuential boxes...)

Auto is more for a BMW, or an Audi ( those big boring cars...) not for a supra... IMHO.

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

most of the time autos are slagged off by people who've never driven them, cant be bothered to learn how to drive them, or driven a decent one.

A decent autobox is a joy to drive, in a sports situation or otherwise and is quicker than a manual once you start going.

awww charlie, no ones ganging up on you :P I have no idea what the UK autobox is like to tell the truth.

Adi mate.. what you just said is EXACTLY what I used to say to peopel who slagged off auto

my 2 soarers had (I assume) the same management and gearbox as you car. its amazing... its as good as manual.. I adapted to it and it adapted to me.. we met haflway and did pretty damn well together!!!!

peopel used to annoy me when hey peered in ym soarer and said "eeeeeeewwwwww auto"

most had never drivena proper auto........ to me you cannot have an auto with under at least 200 bhp.... an most had driven their mates 50 bhp 3 speed mini auto, and disliked it.

my parents are mercedes heads.

since the day I was born my mum has ha SL after SL.. (ironic, "SL" stadn for sports lightweigt... her cirrent car weights over 1900KG and is not sporty. at all, my MG metro was more fun (no really it WAS) )

since about 85 my dad has had S classes

they are OK they are MEANT to have the best auto boxes in the world.....

-but they are crap.

you can only kickdown at the very bottom of the accelerator... (like 99.99999999999% of autos) rubbish!!!!

the toyota ones judge how you floor it.. how fast the pedal goes down and takes you driving style (that its been watching) into account.. if kickes down WHEN you want it to!!!!!!!!

they are great.. the ony thing a manual has over it is the romantic and macho shifting of gears..... which to me is whata supra is all about..., ESP a manly mk3 ;)

just my2p but

When i very occasionally have a little honda type-r, or m3, or boxster, that feel like having a go, you can actually see when they change gear, and loose even more ground, might be lazy but it's quicker. If you ever want fun just put it second, and well it think rev limiter comes in about 85-90 ish. so no real need to change.

like i say just my 2p, but i would have another supra auto anyday.

I have driven manual TT,s much the same in second and leave it. that will keep ya smiling. The other gears just give better economy.

most had never drivena  proper auto........ to me you cannot have an auto with under at least 200 bhp.... an most had driven their mates 50 bhp 3 speed mini auto, and disliked it.

Does it count a 1999 V6 Camry? :rolleyes:

I still prefer a manual for a sport car....

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Have to say, I own a manual and it's not pretty to drive!! I was hell bent on having a manual supe but with hindsight I coulda got more car for the same money if I'd gone with the auto option.

It's harder to rev your engine at lights with the auto though lol

I'd say drive both and see... but if you're being picky about stuff like Uk spec etc finding the manual in good nick/low miles will be a mare!!

• 3 years later...

man this is an old thread!

Anyway... having been lucky enough to have driven both i would say the Manual would be my preference!

People say the clutch is heavy but i didnt notice any difference to my MR2 Turbo which i owned at the time.

The Auto is just that... you should want to be able to change gears when you want.. be able to take off without keeping your foot on the brake pedal causing it stress!..

It also depends hugely on the engine, some engines suit different gearboxes... ;)

-And yes my old gearbox was buggered, a decent mkiii auto box is as good as a soarer/mkiv, -when mated to the right engine anyway, Autos don't seem to work as well with the 2.0TTs & N/as as they have narrower power bands.

I now only have a manual supra and miss my auto. it was better when I had one of each!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had both auto and manual 2.8 Supra's in the past, so can see this discussion from both sides :rolleyes: ,if you are looking from a 0-60 point of view ,then a manual 2.8 is the only way to go , as 2secs is just massive when sitting at the lights !

Yet the 3.0mk3 and 3.0tt mk4 both had the same 0-60 time auto or manual,so you can't use that excuse for not having an auto.

An auto box will cost a small mortgage if it disintegrates, i'm sure many a 2.8 and 3.0's have been sent to the breakers for just that reason.

Having been out in my manual supra today you get so much more control over the pace of the car and the rev range, so if you want to drive it with enthusiasm controlling the engine revs, a manual box is the only way to go.

Yes you can shift and auto through the gears, but its not the same.

Yet the 3.0mk3 and 3.0tt mk4 both had the same 0-60 time auto or manual,so you can't use that excuse for not having an auto.

Far from it, the MK4 TT Auto is half a second slower than a manual TT 0-60. I believe the non turbo mk4's have an even bigger gap between them. Im sure the mk3 is the same (charlie will be along soon to tell us :lol:).

I felt too out of control of my auto mk4 so got a manual mk4 which was so much more fun.

Far from it, the MK4 TT Auto is half a second slower than a manual TT 0-60. I believe the non turbo mk4's have an even bigger gap between them. Im sure the mk3 is the same (charlie will be along soon to tell us :lol:).

I felt too out of control of my auto mk4 so got a manual mk4 which was so much more fun.

I did a little bit of homework last night :rolleyes: the mk3 none turbo as a 0-60 of 8.1 whether auto or manual and the mk3 turbo as a 0-60 of 6.1 whether auto or manual ,but i couldn't find any info on the 3.00 tt mk4 UK spec :)

Used auto boxes are way cheaper then manual boxes because there are loadsmore of them!

As for 0-60...it depends on the car! There were 5 different engine types in the mkiii!

I used to have a MKIV TT Supra, Autobox.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was easy driving in stop/start traffic and when you want to boot it, just plant the foot. Couldn't be easier.

The only thing I didn't like was the exhaust note when going through the gears and the fact that I got pretty bored of the autobox. I would prefer a manual if I got one again, but I wouldn't say know to an auto.

Says the guy with the FWD shopping car! :yahoo:

Thats priceless... I think I'll print it out and frame it... :crybaby::thumbsup:

I'm off to join a veyron forum now and tell them that AWD is for farmers.....