Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Or Manual?

Leeky

67 members have voted

1. 1. Automatic Or Manual?

• Automatic
    • Manual
    • Neither, im a smart ass and have the Triptronic Box ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

cnt say i think it will but dnt knock it till u ave tryed it

may be a while lol unless anyones willing to let a 19 year old lose with there beloved car? haha

Jimlad is wearing the hat of correctness.

Dunno about 19... I had my first auto at 17, it was a soarer TT ;) I never thought I'd have liked autos either as my parents have always driven mercs and they didn't used to have very nice auto boxes for driving.

• 2 weeks later...

for fun, i would have a manual box, i like it and i like to be in control. I can see how a auto box would some times be quicker and easier.

my brother has a auto box in his mr2 and there was no difference in are acceleration when i had me mr2

i took him out in the GT4 today and he was impressed, although i did have to refuse on nemeris occasions that he couldn't take it out for a test drive

• 1 month later...

I just remembered why people think autos are not much cop last night... I drove a ew Dodge Nitro... like the FTO and some merc Autos I have driven.... it just felt like it was in the wrong gear most of the time!!

Edit: Supra autos are not like this :P

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was in heavy traffic yesterday in the Audi. I was wishing I was sitting in the Supra, I was getting sick of stopping and starting and using the clutch!!

My GTO used to have a mega heavy clutch which was a bit of a nightmare around town.

I think its fair to say autos are excellent for some driving conditions, in town with stop start driving its the only way to go :)

Got to say tip gives the best of both works, not quite the same as manual but still gives you a lota fun

• 1 month later...

For about half of my work commute I with my M3 was an auto! or at least SMG!

• 4 months later...

i have 1993 twin turbo jza in auto , now i love manual cars its the feeling of control when u change and the quick start but my supra just drives beautifully in auto and has quick response when you want it so i wouldnt change it for a second :D

Isn't auto something that was invented for female drivers?

No it was invented so that you can keep both hands on the wheel when you have lots of power to think about....

Manual for me, had an auto on a Saab 9000T and it did nothing but slow it down and eat more fuel.

Saab Auto's are terrible though. Toyota make one of the (if not THE) best automatic boxes ever.

Since i started this thread all those years ago i've owned automatic and manual supras.

And my choice....

Automatic every time :thumbsup:

The W58 isnt a bad box but weak, still my favourite out of manual Toyota boxes. The V190/V160 are good but quite clunky. The R154 is possibly the strongest box Toyota have ever made but its like an old tractor gearbox to drive.

Automatic MK4 box (totally different to the MK3 box) is a thing of beauty. It goes to show how great it is that they put the same box into the LS400, GS300, Soarer, Chaser.....

Still i guess it depends what you want from a car. I love crusing with the roof off, if your building a track car then W58 is my choice ;)

Saab Auto's are terrible though. Toyota make one of the (if not THE) best automatic boxes ever.

Since i started this thread all those years ago i've owned automatic and manual supras.

And my choice....

Automatic every time :thumbsup:

The W58 isnt a bad box but weak, still my favourite out of manual Toyota boxes. The V190/V160 are good but quite clunky. The R154 is possibly the strongest box Toyota have ever made but its like an old tractor gearbox to drive.

Automatic MK4 box (totally different to the MK3 box) is a thing of beauty. It goes to show how great it is that they put the same box into the LS400, GS300, Soarer, Chaser.....

Still i guess it depends what you want from a car. I love crusing with the roof off, if your building a track car then W58 is my choice ;)

Your right about the Saab auto's, you could take a nap between changes!

I like my tractor gearbox though (I believe that's what i have, you may already realise techical stuff is not my strongest point). I'll be interested to see your MK4 if we happen to be in the same place in the future. :yes:

No matter how good you claim the auto to be, i'd go for the available manual. The Auto IS slower, it DOES use more fuel and last, but not least, it takes away the feeling of driving.

The sad thing is, that the auto, that only some years ago, was only popular in The States, is starting to take over the European market as well. 10 years ago, auto was an option in some cars. A pretty expensive option. Now, it seems like the manual is the option, if available at all. And that really sucks.

Lee the MKIV A341E and MKIII A340E are pretty damn similar! Both very good.

Steve the MKIII R154 manual box is from the Toyota Coaster.. too cope with the Torque!!!

Lee the MKIV A341E and MKIII A340E are pretty damn similar! Both very good.

Steve the MKIII R154 manual box is from the Toyota Coaster.. too cope with the Torque!!!

That's my new thing learnt for monday then. The bus application explains it's chunky feeling then. It is the Yorkie bar of the gearbox world then? (groan).

I'll have to persuade someone to take me for a spin in a auto turbo sometime so I can see what I may, or may not be missing :) I never drove an auto when looking for my manual, I never considered it as an option but it would be interesting to experience first hand.