Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Compressor Let Down

carltsport52

Hello all

Well i have taken my compressor to the rolling road today and what a let down it turned out to be.i have up loaded a vid and pictures that say it all.over 200 bhp yeh right even with a typhoon kit on it.

Is there anyone out there to comfort me in my time of need?

guys i am totally gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for 6psi of boost i think my power washer has more than that!!

not happy.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carl

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/ca...rt52_55/013.jpg

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/ca...current=008.flv

hmmm looks like a mobile RR? if so i havent heard many good reviews about their accuracy. plus every RR will give a different result

hello mate

what would be a better option to give me a more accurate read out.

have you any recomendations cause i am truely gutted with that read out and the guy said it is pointless re mapping cause there would be no gains

carl

is it normally meant to be measured in 4th gear? i thought you were supposed to use the final drive gear? on a Forced Induction engine, a better exhaust system than stock is always recommended

have a look round on other forums like the Evo and scooby ones. I think my yaris was done at Prodrive and they had a proper pro set up there. a full 4WD RR. The RR they used was made by Bosch and cost about £100k

was the power read out from the wheels or from the fly wheel, they should have told you both figures really. wanna get my compressor on rollin road. do you feel the lift come in on yours mate, just there doesn't seem to be much of a kick on the power curve. my mate just had scooby re-mapped took him to pick it up an they showed us power curve, torque curve both from flywheel an wheels, curve of fuel load from fuel pump. this was at dyno demon, it's on Neston industrial estate

I also thought they were supposed to do it in top gear...

wow , our tsports have the same as that. i think that rolling road may be nackerd. compressors have 215bhp dont they ?

hmm 189bhp seems to be well down :unsure:

something is not right there. like said, how accurate were those rollers? was the test carried out in the correct maner (i dont know, ive never been to one). was there something wrong with your car (got forbid).

could be worth trying it without the typhoon fitted. might get a better result.

just some ideas mate. good luck.

hello mate

you know what i dont know if it was the flywheel or the wheels, i am hoping the wheels because i was really dissapointed with the result,i should get it booked in somewhere else really.

189bhp not good but if it is right what you folks said he should have been in top gear and he was only in 4th i dunno really.

as for the lift i cant feel or hear it and never have been able too

borodaz

believe me i hope it is knackered,but the old boy was off too santa pod after my run to a perfomance vauxhall show,and the cars he had in his yard werent crap there was an ac cobra a rel one a radical and a couple of vauxhall manoro s.

i just dont get it at least i would have thought 220 with the filter, put it this way i went up against a ford focus st and left it!

To be honest mate, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be in top gear and maybe his RR was knacked.

I'm sure it's fine! As for feeling lift come in, I dont think you notice it as much in the CTSC as it blends in with the S/C.

Have you ever reset the ECU? Someone on these forums posted a while back info on resetting it to factory by pedal presses and turning the ignition in a certain sequence. It could be currently in 'safe mode' because you might have had regular 95ron fuel once. The ECU lowers the power output to protect itself when 98ron isnt used. It doesnt reset automatically to full power and you have to do it yourself. Even if you have only used 98ron since you had it, it could be some plum in the dealership putting in a fivers worth of 95 before you bought it! Search for 256bhp or 240bhp compressor (I think!) and there are instructions.

Also, I dont know if it would make any difference, but where the compressor has no intercooling, surely not moving on a dyno the air that you're sucking in is going to be VERY hot, which might have an effect on dyno results

I think 4th gear is the correct gear TBH, as 4th is always 1:1 gearing but as the other guys have said it could be the dyno, wheel hp (not flywheel, which is a higher figure and what your standard 215 comes from) but at the end of the day mate, its a tidy car, looks sweet, sounds the total dogs too with that k&n, and before you saw the dyno result you were well happy. f**k it! Its just a figure on a bit of paper :thumbsup:

Edit: Heres the link about the ecu reset http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...6&hl=256bhp and http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73694 and http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67666

Most Dynos should have massive fans infront of the cars forcing air in to them.

Also - His car wont be in safe mode, If it were in Safe mode it WILL NOT rev past 4000RPM, I've had it happen a few times when wires came out the MAF.

As far as I'm aware it only has one type of Safe mode?

Who knows!

The guy probably googled the bhp on his phone but didnt realise he got the wrong bhp to run on his fake RR?

Actually you may not be far off there!

CTS: 189BHP, 132 FtLb Torque

CTSC: 215BHP, 159 FtLb Torque.

It does seem very, very close :P Also doesn't the Compressor Rev further than 8200? As I've seen videos. Or is that just with new ECU's?

usually 3rd gear for rolling road - 1st and 2nd can spin. its whats at the wheels that matters - flywheel readings are a waste of time because it a rough estimate when trying to calculate mechanical drag.

a lad i know was on about that dyno at Neston - £50 a go. some of his mates have used it.

How big was the fan they used - sounded quiet compared with the fans i've heard other places use. might have something to do with the filter drawing air from the engine bay - a lot of induction kits are known to reduce power................

215bhp is what has been measured from the flywheel by toyota with the engine only connected to a dyno - i believe its usually 30% lost through the drivetrain

If your in Northants take a trip upto The Racing Line in Halifax, superb bunch of guys who know what they are doing and a good RR...

Yeh mate that is a good result

189 bhp and 138 ft/lb from the wheels is brilliant :thumbsup:

the results for the nearest rival (Civic Type-R) is only 172bhp at the wheels, stock :thumbsup:

Good result mate, love the sound the wheels and the colour, nice1 :drool:

thanks guys

you have all made me feel a lot better,i will run it on another dyno at some point in the near future.

i have noticed one problem and that is when i turn the car ignition on the engine management light flashes is that a fault?

also when the guy dynod it he told me he runs 190bhp cars and they come out at about 170 so i dont know what he was on about really!!

sounds like he's given you power read out from the wheels. hoping to get my compressor on rollers soon an i've got typhoon kit on aswell. as for lift it's strange as i can feel it comes in bout 5200-5400rpm but sometimes can feel it well, an sometimes can't really feel it at all. as for ECU light flasing when you start up that is normal. an to do an ECU on compressor, you turn key to Battery wait for ECU light to stop flashin then hold down clutch til it starts flashing again takes bout 40 seconds then start up

well thats what i thought the read out from the wheels as it would be quite believable that you could loose 20 horses from flywheel to wheels.it would be nice to meet up with someone else with a compressor to have a ride in it and see if there is any difference.

yeah me too, neva been to a toyota meet or anything an would like to see a few other compressors myself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links