Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Compressor Problem.

squench2002

Hi there,

1st post so please bear with me!!

Picked up my new Compressor last week 56 plate with 8k on the clock and drove in home from Glasgow.

On the way home I stopped and filled it right up with Tesco 99 octane fuel and cont on our journey with no problems.

Early the next day I went offshore leaving the car with my wife.

I called her later in the day and she told me that the ECU Light was on, the Traction control Light and the ESC light was on as well. :crybaby:

I asked if she had driven it and she was close to Toyota Aberdeen and took in in past(this was on friday).

They hooked it up and took a note of the codes and wiped them clear and took it for a drive and the lights stayed off.

My wife then took the car back and started the car in the car park and all the lights came back on.

So she went back in and after the service manager discussed things with the mechanics came to the decision that the car was alright to drive home for a short period but not long distances and to bring the car back in on Monday when they will investigate further!

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Is there a problem using supermarket fuel?

Is it sensible for Toyota to tell us to drive the car when all the warning lights are saying not to?

I think thats enough for a 1st post!!!

Ian.

Hi there,

1st post so please bear with me!!

Picked up my new Compressor last week 56 plate with 8k on the clock and drove in home from Glasgow.

On the way home I stopped and filled it right up with Tesco 99 octane fuel and cont on our journey with no problems.

Early the next day I went offshore leaving the car with my wife.

I called her later in the day and she told me that the ECU Light was on, the Traction control Light and the ESC light was on as well. :crybaby:

I asked if she had driven it and she was close to Toyota Aberdeen and took in in past(this was on friday).

They hooked it up and took a note of the codes and wiped them clear and took it for a drive and the lights stayed off.

My wife then took the car back and started the car in the car park and all the lights came back on.

So she went back in and after the service manager discussed things with the mechanics came to the decision that the car was alright to drive home for a short period but not long distances and to bring the car back in on Monday when they will investigate further!

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Is there a problem using supermarket fuel?

Is it sensible for Toyota to tell us to drive the car when all the warning lights are saying not to?

I think thats enough for a 1st post!!!

Ian.

Did they tell you what the fault codes were?

Mart.

Hi Mart,

no my wife didn't ask for the codes.

But my wife called the garage this morning and they have said that the fault is with the emissions sensor?

They have ordered a new one and it should be fixed tomorrow so I hope that is the problem.

Would the sensor cause the Traction Control Light and the ESC light to come on?

what do you think?

cheers for the reply

Ian.

The sensor will be an o2/lambda sensor no doubt.

Sometimes when a component fails or the ECU detects something out of spec for a split second it will bring the warning light on - depending on the fault sometimes more lights will be illuminated.

Mart.

these must be run on a minumum of 98 ron fuel. the only fuel with that is shells most expensive. my opinuin on supermarket fuel is i wouldnt run my lawn mower on it.

ecu light and trc...... these are very unreliable cars i had this prob there will be a problem with one of the coil packs which go onto the spark plugs.there is 4 so getting the right one is a nightmare unless u get all 4 on warrenty. dont get me wrong great cars when no faults!! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

I got the car back from the Toyota dealership after they replaced the Mass air flow sensor as well as the Emissions sensor!!

The fault code if I remember is T1707?

We had been using the car for a few days and all the lights have appeared again.

Contacted the dealership where we got the car and they basically said they have serious doubts that anyone in Aberdeen toyota has the experiance to fix this car!

They are going to uplift the car by transporter and take it to Glasgow and repair the car then deliver it back to us!

So the next couple of days my wife has been driving around with the lights on, and on one trip all the lights have gone off again!! :censor:

On top of this we have had it booked into the same dealerships bodyshop who have twice now been unable to fix to an acceptable standard a chip on the drivers rear quarter!

Since we picked the car up a month ago we have driven it for about 5 days.

Two guesses who the Dealership is,,, Arnold Clark.

whats your thoughts?

cheers

Ian.

P.S Have decided will only run the car on Shell V Power now, as they also do the points card for money off fuel now!!

We had a similar problem with ours, the lights came on and the speedometer dropped to 0mph whilst on the motorway the speedo would also jump up by 5mph each time the wipers wiped the screen when on intermittent, , after a few failed attempts by the dealer (who were actually very good - Square Deal in Falkirk) to find the problem we called in TTE, they sent a technician who knew EXACTLY what it was before he arrived.. EU Emissions Box, which is behind the instrument cluster... seemingly it is a known fault (faulty part) and unfortunately some cars slipped through the net with it. Got it sorted and have never had a problem since.

Link to my post about it...

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...c=66245&hl=

Hope it helps you get your car sorted.. and worth noting that TTE themselves were only too happy to send someone to me and were happy to fix the problem, so don't be worried about dropping them an email.

I sent an email to Norber Schaefer.

Norbert.Schaefer@toyota-f1.com

Just read your dealership is Arnold Clark.... TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!! Arnold Clark (imo) is a p*** poor aftersales service, they get your money then they just don't want to know.

Tesco fuel at the moment is probably the best

Reason being is because tesco fuel is being inspected on a regular basis because of the earlier disasters with there petrol.

Regardless still try and use a better brand name petrol if you feel it could be the cause who knows!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys!

Likewise im a newbie to this sort of thing as well.

I have just bought a Corolla Compressor from Arnold Clark Aberdeen (DOH !!!! Wish i had read this before hand) and their service after you give them cash is pantz!!! I have had nothing but lies from them. I just picked the car up yesterday. Its an 56 plate with 8600 ish miles. I love it to bits, i had a type R prior and the Corolla is waaay more refined than the honda and i love the note that comes from it when you give it some beanz :)

I have noticed when in say 3rd or 4th geat at really low RPM (1k) and accellerate, when the engine is under load, it make a jingling kind of noise. I had a similar problem with a previous car and it was the heat shield on the exhaust. But i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions, as i would not and do not trust the t*ssers at the toyota garage to tell me what it is. It also reminds me of the noise that tappets make in a high milage engine as well.

Am i just being over concerned?

Cheers

J

You could have bought mine off me, never had anny problems at all with it, and probably about two grand cheaper than the stealers!!

You could have bought mine off me, never had anny problems at all with it, and probably about two grand cheaper than the stealers!!

your astra nurburg mate don't suppose the last 3 letters of reg were ZNO or something like that, defo them 3 letters not sure of the order tho?

I sent an email to Norber Schaefer.

Norbert.Schaefer@toyota-f1.com

Top bloke, I have had many dealings with him and he was more than helpful :thumbsup:

When I had an air leak on my intake, the ECU Light, the Traction control Light and the ESC light all came on for whatever reason :eek:

• 6 months later...

Well it's been a while since I was last on and then some but............

After all the problems we had we rejected the car which is a real pity because I did like it.

If it wasn't for the dealerships incompetence then we would still heav the car.

But we still have a Toyota the wife has a Yaris!!!!

Not quite the same performance but at least it runs trouble free!!

Thanks for all your help with this....

Just to rub it in I was out washing my car the other day in Banchory and a Compressor pulls into the cul-de-sac turned round and drove out. My jaw almost hit the deck I thought the dealership were just rubbing it in!!

Well it's been a while since I was last on and then some but............

After all the problems we had we rejected the car which is a real pity because I did like it.

If it wasn't for the dealerships incompetence then we would still heav the car.

But we still have a Toyota the wife has a Yaris!!!!

Not quite the same performance but at least it runs trouble free!!

Thanks for all your help with this....

Just to rub it in I was out washing my car the other day in Banchory and a Compressor pulls into the cul-de-sac turned round and drove out. My jaw almost hit the deck I thought the dealership were just rubbing it in!!

go get another compressor!!!!!!!!

Is it not Total that supply tesco's fuel.

i stopped using Shell optiomax and switched to tesco 99, never had any problems. Plus i feel the car runs a little better. May be the imagination though. :lol:

A few comments on petrol. I work at a refinery, out of our refinery tankers leave wih Morrison, Tesco, Shell, Esso, Sainsburys, BP logos etc etc. We supply virtually everyone in our part of the country, as do other refineries in other parts of the country. Is all the fuel the same..... yes, BUT with a different additive packages, is supermarket fuel worse/crap .... well its the same fuel but different additives .....make up your own mind (not worth losing my pension to tell you).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links