Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grinding/metal Sound When Turning Right

Zaaro

In the last week or so I have noticed a sound when turning right, doesnt have to be a great deal, usually around half a turn of the wheel +

The noise only comes from the left front wheel area and is a grinding/metal sound.

Im thinking it must be something to do with the brake pads rubbing on the disc.

Just thought i would post on here to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem or can give any input.

Thanks in advance

Few things to note before i forget:

- Brake pads are not worn out and by the looks of it should have a few thousand left in them

- Just over 13k mileage

- After market alloys are fitted to the car, however they are the correct width etc so they should not in theory be causing the sound

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Can still hear noticeably when turning right, but no sound when turning left.

Also hear it ever now and then slightly when accelerating in a straight line

Any more ideas?

much appreciated

Hmmm, what about if I am a careful driver (which I am) shouldnt they be lasting alot longer than 13,000 miles?

I had to make a "u" turn on a narrow road a few weeks ago using full lock turning right, and heard a grinding/scuffy kind of noise coming from , I think, was the left front.

I dont think it is the bearing, from past experience, but I remember the early Mini's, in the 60s and 70s, made similar sounds, usually with clicking as well when turning hard if their driveshafts were worn.

I thought ,as well, it could be the brake back plate rubbing on the disc....but the Aygo does not have back plates!

I hope it is simply the brake pads rubbing on the disks.

The car does not make any wheel type noise when running normally and cornering normally, so I will wait until the next service and ask them to check it, unless it gets worse or if any forum members have a definitive diagnosis and urgent attention is advised.I am pretty sure I noticed the noise soon after I bought the car but forgot about it as I never usually turn on full lock, and it is not any worse now.(12500miles)Maybe if all Aygo owners went out and did a full lock turn just to test it, quite a few would report the same noise.

By the way, I reported a slight oily misting on the rear dampers at the first service and they then reported ALL the dampers had to be changed!

Bit over the top, as the fronts looked as dry as a bone.

Thanks for the info johnan, much appreciated. I hope it has something to do with the pads rubbing.

As you say though if it gets worse I will probably take it in

I hope it won't cause you any more anxiety, but if you do eventually decide to take it to Mr.T, please keep us informed of developments!

hi there, the problem is the lower swivel heat sheild gets too close to the disc, you can poke a screwdriver through the wheel and fold it back slightly away from the disc, nothing major to sort out B)

Thanks a lot Jay!

I have poked the sheilds away from the discs, so hopefully that will be the end of the noise.

Your input is much appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Had this sound appear this week when doing a full left lock turn, saw this post whilst at work but not knowing what a heat shield looks like I didn't see anything obvious looking at the wheel.

Today I had the wheel of on the front left side to inspect around the disc, found the shield, bent it back went for a drive but the sound was still there. Back at home I did the same to the shield on the front right wheel, this time knowing I didn't need to take the wheel of and just needed to look from the back of the wheel and bend the heat shield back.

For future reference I attached a photo, you can see the heat shield between the brake disc and the lower rubber shoe

post-58775-0-98940700-1297529207_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

hey Lakeuk! did you ever resolve this annoying grinding? I have the same problem with my avensis n/s front. By the looks of things, in your photo, there seems to be a horizontal scraped mark on the disc (probably an inch or so from the centre). Perhaps this is the cause of your troubles. Check the caliper carrier for any small knarly bits of metal or rust or maybe even a small piece of tarred chuckie stone that may be fowling the disc.

Thanks for your photo. I'll take a better look at my brakes tomorrow

Thought I'd mentioned it in my last post, but alas not- yes to confirm bending back the heat shield has stopped the grinding noise, the disc shown in the photo is ok there is no scrape mark it just the exposure of the photo

• 2 months later...

Awesome - just used this to fix the sound on my car as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot Jay!

I have poked the sheilds away from the discs, so hopefully that will be the end of the noise.

Your input is much appreciated.

did it work? mine did the same a few mnths back from the back wheel, took it to mr T and they did the same just moved the shield away from the brake disc :) no probs since

Right... my knowledge of car bits is limited...

I have this problem turning left, and it's driving me CRAZY!

Can someone put up a photo of it before and after so I can see what bit, or even just point an arrow at it?

Cheers

Grav

Right... my knowledge of car bits is limited...

I have this problem turning left, and it's driving me CRAZY!

Can someone put up a photo of it before and after so I can see what bit, or even just point an arrow at it?

Cheers

Grav

If you look at the picture posted earlier......

IMG_2866copy.jpg

From the right of the picture is the lower control arm.

On top of this, you can see a rubber part.

Just to the left / behind this is a thin metal plate.

As the brake disc corrodes, the edge fattens up just enough to scrape this metal plate

when components flex under the load of full lock.

You can look for this shield from the outside bottom of the wheel.

Stick your finger through one of the holes in the wheel, run it along the bottom inside of the disc.

When you can feel the plate, gently bend it slightly away from the disc. ie, towards the inside of the car.

You'll only need a couple of millimetres.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

And DON'T do this just after you've been driving, or you'll burn your fingers!

And DON'T do this just after you've been driving, or you'll burn your fingers!

Ooops......Forgot to mention that !

Could be a wheel bearing.. I've done 9k and just had one replaced on mine.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add.. I was hearing this same grinding noise coming from the front driver-side wheel of my 2007 Toyota Yaris whenever I would turn hard right, and it was indeed the heat shield!

I simply parked the car, turned the wheel all the way to the right, reached my hand around behind the tire and felt for the thinnish metal heat shield which is just next to the disc towards the inside of the car. Sure enough, at the top of the shield, it was warped and touching the disc! I used my hand to pull/bend it away from the disc about a half-inch or so, and now the car drives perfectly.

The heat shield really is pretty thin and I imagine the summer heat over the years caused it to warp just that little bit. I'm so, so glad I did not take the car to the shop to have it checked out and checked it first myself!

Thank you all so much for your help! :thumbsup:

• 5 years later...

Thank you jay13, Lakeuk, Unklian for the great picture with parts identification - and everyone else who contributed to this post - including those who responded with an "it worked !".

I am a slightly over-the-hill Canadian and a happy Yaris 2009 5 Dr Hatchback owner (on a fixed income) and when I heard the sound described when performing a hard right turn I was concerned. I am not car savvy, mechanically, and feel most like the victim at the local dealership when I am in need of repair, from my lack of expertise. 

This post allowed me to remedy my car issue, easily - so again Kudos to all of you! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had the same issue appear over the last few days. Quick heat shield adjustment and the noise has gone. Top job for the guide to solving this, cheers!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links