Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xtr Or Xt5

Furious D

As some of you may have read the wife and i are about to purchase a RAV4 to replace the Corolla. We have the option of two cars and we are not 100% sure, yes one is cheaper but one has better spec. You suggestions and why would be great.

Both cars are BLACK, 5 door, manual, 2.0L Petrol and from main dealer, 12 months tax, 12 months warranty, 12 months RAC

XT5 @ £12,250

05 reg on 35,000 miles

Parking sensors

Elec windows all round

SatNav

Leather

4 brand new tyres

Cyncro mesh replaced on 5th gear

Full service to be carried out

or

XTR @ £11,000

55 reg at 10,000 miles

From my understanding this does not come with Satnav, parking sensors or leather.

So which would you buy and why?

Cheers

D

Well you can get parking sensors fitted and I don't see the need for most people to have sat nav. Leather is nice but £1250 cheaper, 25000 miles less and no hint of a dodgy gearbox (synchromesh after 35000K?) . There can only be one choice XTR

I'm with redlew, gotta go for the XTR, sooner have a diesel though.

Why?

I would stay clear of both of them to be honest. Petrol Ravs tend to be quite thirsty, I have a diesel 07 XTR 134 bhp, and subject to a manual check on consumption, I appear to be getting 55.8 m.p.g. according to the computer. There are other advantages as well, the engine rotates at 2000 r.p.m. in 6 th gear at 60 m.p.h. I have not had much luck with factory fitted sat nav systems; my system on my old Nissan X Trail was horrendous, and it was intent on putting me in the sea around here. I then went to Garmin over the counter systems. and they were just as bad' before ending up with a Tom Tom with Euro maps. I have to say that this is first class' it does have a few minor errors, but would say that on a 200 mile journey I would only experience say one error. The leather is nice of course, and there do not seem to be many XT5's around, but as already said I would be mighty suspicious of the gear box problem. I am very impressed with the sun roof, which unlike the Xtrail is reasonably wind free when fully open. If I were you I would not rush into buying; also be aware the XTR does not have a spare wheel; a problem which I will have a solution for this week end. Stay clear of the T180 as well, and run flat tyres, a real disaster area. Good luck with your buy.

05 and 55 reg XTR's have the spare wheels. To actually substantiate the diesel you have to do a lot of miles these days, especially with the price increasing the way it is.

D

05 and 55 reg XTR's have the spare wheels. To actually substantiate the diesel you have to do a lot of miles these days, especially with the price increasing the way it is.

D

Spare wheel, I stand corrected. Diesel v Petrol I will never back down on this !!!!

D

Spare wheel, I stand corrected. Diesel v Petrol I will never back down on this !!!!

LOL

I have an 08reg Diesel Vectra and dont get me wrong i think it is a good car. It is a company car hence being diesel aslo but this cost over £70 to fill up, the wife does not do as many miles and the extra cost in the car and services makes it less attractive.

From our point of view see the figures i worked out here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82380

By the way thanks for wishing me luck with the purchase.

D

Of the two listed, I would take the XTR I think. £1,250 cheaper, less miles = delaying the bigger service costs for a couple of years.

Is the XT5 Sat-Nat the Full-Screen Colour type or the add-in unit to the little monochrome screen? if it is the little screen, a TomTom or similar is much better to use.

I would go with the Diesel comment I think if you can find one at a comparable price - OK, so Diesel is about 10-15% more expensive, but you get about 25-30% more miles out of a tankful.

Of the two listed, I would take the XTR I think. £1,250 cheaper, less miles = delaying the bigger service costs for a couple of years.

Is the XT5 Sat-Nat the Full-Screen Colour type or the add-in unit to the little monochrome screen? if it is the little screen, a TomTom or similar is much better to use.

I would go with the Diesel comment I think if you can find one at a comparable price - OK, so Diesel is about 10-15% more expensive, but you get about 25-30% more miles out of a tankful.

It is the full satanav colour big screen. Based on the comments here i think we are leaning towards the XTR now. I have always been a sucker for leather :thumbsup:

Finding a diesel for similar money is hard too. This is actually through a mate at a main dealer who i know is doing the best he can for our car too.

D

The cheapest 5 door diesel on autotrader at a maindealer is £12491 with 29k on it. So £11,000 for 10k does seem pretty good.

D

D

I dont know where you get your 35 m.p.g. figures from for the Rav4 diesel. My XTR according to the computer is doing 55.8, although I am going to do a manual check today. Even if it is 20 % out it is still well into the 40's., and I suspect that there is only a marginal discrepancy !!!

LOL

I have an 08reg Diesel Vectra and dont get me wrong i think it is a good car. It is a company car hence being diesel aslo but this cost over £70 to fill up, the wife does not do as many miles and the extra cost in the car and services makes it less attractive.

From our point of view see the figures i worked out here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82380

By the way thanks for wishing me luck with the purchase.

D

It is the full satanav colour big screen. Based on the comments here i think we are leaning towards the XTR now. I have always been a sucker for leather :thumbsup:

Finding a diesel for similar money is hard too. This is actually through a mate at a main dealer who i know is doing the best he can for our car too.

D

Full Screen as well as the Leather ..... becoming a harder decision.

Both cars are eligible for Toyota Extended warranty of course, so if the dealer extends the 12 months to 24 Months Unlimited (just a couple of hundred pound extra for that) on the XT5, that would make it an even harder decision :rolleyes:

Oh - also check the alloys. Toyota alloys are prone to corrosion - the 3 Year warranty covers replacement, but the extended Warranty does not, so if the 05 XT5 has corroded alloys, you need to get them sorted before you buy, negotiating exchange with Dealer; the 55 XTR will be under 3 years old, so again check, but the dealer just has to do a warranty claim with Toyota to swap.

Just had a look at my local dealer....

they have a 2005 XTR petrol with 23k miles listed at £12,495 :o

And a 2005 XTR Diesel with 27k miles listed at £12,750

Looking at RAV4s listed, it seems the diesels are around £500 more expensive for same miles/age, or same price when the diesel has an extra 20k-30k miles on it and same age

whichever.

The synchro on 5th is often affected by the driver resting the hand on the gearstick and pulling the car out of gear by doing it. Maybe it was a monkey driving it??

Petrol v diesel? Its not the argument here as you asked between 2 petrols. I'm not a lover of leather seats, altho my Humber has nice red leather seats! I prefer fabric.

(You may have noticed on this that there are more problems with the diesel versions than with petrol - wonder why?)

back to the case in question - I think I'd go with the younger car. Just cos the previous driver has had less time to trash it. Mind, I'd weld up the 2 rear doors!!!

I'm with Bothy.......I'd go for the younger car everytime :thumbsup:

Has mentioned, if the previous owner of the XT5 caused the gearbox problems through poor driving habits, what other poor standards and neglect has he inflicted on the car? :unsure:

Good luck with your purchase....hope to see some pictures soon :thumbsup:

Thanks for all comments guys, looks likely we are going to opt for the XTR based on comments on here and the fact i may well be getting a new job which will mean car allowance, i do not have the capital at the moment to purchase my own car and would mean a loan as there will be a loan for the Rav too i am not a man that likes debt.

Cheers

D

Why?

I would stay clear of both of them to be honest. Petrol Ravs tend to be quite thirsty, I have a diesel 07 XTR 134 bhp, and subject to a manual check on consumption, I appear to be getting 55.8 m.p.g. according to the computer. There are other advantages as well, the engine rotates at 2000 r.p.m. in 6 th gear at 60 m.p.h. I have not had much luck with factory fitted sat nav systems; my system on my old Nissan X Trail was horrendous, and it was intent on putting me in the sea around here. I then went to Garmin over the counter systems. and they were just as bad' before ending up with a Tom Tom with Euro maps. I have to say that this is first class' it does have a few minor errors, but would say that on a 200 mile journey I would only experience say one error. The leather is nice of course, and there do not seem to be many XT5's around, but as already said I would be mighty suspicious of the gear box problem. I am very impressed with the sun roof, which unlike the Xtrail is reasonably wind free when fully open. If I were you I would not rush into buying; also be aware the XTR does not have a spare wheel; a problem which I will have a solution for this week end. Stay clear of the T180 as well, and run flat tyres, a real disaster area. Good luck with your buy.

John ,Was intrigued to hear you say that you were about to solve the problem of the XTR "no spare wheel" conundrum.Could you share it with us? I solved the problem by sticking a !Removed! big full sized spare in the back.Thus creating another problem!!

Why?

John ,Was intrigued to hear you say that you were about to solve the problem of the XTR "no spare wheel" conundrum.Could you share it with us? I solved the problem by sticking a !Removed! big full sized spare in the back.Thus creating another problem!!

Yes it is quite simple. There is an adjustment on the Rav axles that enables the position of the wheels to be changed. In the event of a puncture, you remove the offending wheel, and shift the other wheel on that axle to the centre of the car. Your vehicle will then operates as a three wheeler, not ideal, but o.k. in an emergency.

Why?

Yes it is quite simple. There is an adjustment on the Rav axles that enables the position of the wheels to be changed. In the event of a puncture, you remove the offending wheel, and shift the other wheel on that axle to the centre of the car. Your vehicle will then operates as a three wheeler, not ideal, but o.k. in an emergency.

Sorry Jock, I know you Scots like a laugh. No my solution is the same as yours. Guess that is better than being stranded late at night and arguing with the RAC when they state if you do not carry a serviceable spare they cannot provide cover.

Sorry Jock, I know you Scots like a laugh. No my solution is the same as yours. Guess that is better than being stranded late at night and arguing with the RAC when they state if you do not carry a serviceable spare they cannot provide cover.

I would be extremely surprised if the RAC would say this in the case of a Toyota supplied as standard with Run-Flats, especially with the RAC cover actually provided by Toyota.

Of course, that doesn't help you get home quickly if beyond the range of the Run-Flat, but the recovery service will do that.

Is it really worth laying out a couple of hundred quid for a spare that will probably never get used? I last used a spare in June 2002 on the HR-V and before that, I think it was 1984?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE.

Well the XTR was sold whilst my friend who works at the dealers was on hols last week. The XT5 is still available, i am going to pop over and have a look at some others today. One of which is a Silver XTR 2.0L petrol 5 door 22,500 miles which i can get for £11k. It has had two owners, however the service history was strange:

1st service - April 2006 @ 12k

2nd service - Feb 2007 @ 12.5k

3rd Service - Feb - 2008 @ 22k

Car was registered in July 2005

It might coinside with selling to the second owner.

Any comments welcome.

D

UPDATE.

Well the XTR was sold whilst my friend who works at the dealers was on hols last week. The XT5 is still available, i am going to pop over and have a look at some others today. One of which is a Silver XTR 2.0L petrol 5 door 22,500 miles which i can get for £11k. It has had two owners, however the service history was strange:

Any comments welcome.

D

Can only assume that the owner went to work aboard, liked it, decided to stay there and then sell up all their possession's here in the UK? :unsure:

If the car seems fit and able............. :thumbsup:

UPDATE.

Any comments welcome.

D

Perhaps the low mileage year was caused by the vehicle being off the road because of accident damage.

Can only assume that the owner went to work aboard, liked it, decided to stay there and then sell up all their possession's here in the UK? :unsure:

If the car seems fit and able............. :thumbsup:

Well i have just been to look at the Silver XTR, it is a nice clean car.

The first owner was Eurocar, so looks like it was a hire car. The second service was performed the day before the second owner bought the car, which seem reasonable, she obviously wanted it serviced before purchase. My friend it going to look on the Toyota central computer to see what was done at the previous services, on the basis the other dealers are on this particular system. It does have new disks all round and pads definately on the front. Overall the body work is very good. The door bumpers which normally gets marked badly are in good condition, overall a nice car.

Think this might be the one. Not a bad price at main dealer either......is it?

D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links