Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change In Traffic Controls

Bizarra

Read an article in our Evening paper which I had already seen in the Irish Daily Mail & I quote

" Under the plan, traffic lights, direction signs, pedestrian crossings & guard rails would all go in a bid to make road users pay more attention to what is going on around them. As a result they would drive more carefully & the accident rate would drop"

Before everyone falls about laughing, read the following, from the same article.

"The experiment was pioneered in a town in Holland 5 years ago, when signs & traffic lights were taken out as part of a naked streets experiment. Accident figures plummeted as drivers became more cautious " & " Three years ago, it was done in a London borough with similar results"

In other words, Go figure it out for yourself & don't rely on signs which you might miss, anyway

Certainly , in my smallish & totally over regulated town, when the lights are out of action, everything moves much better. I was talking to one of our traffic Wardens today ( They are tameable :lol: ) & he had asked for 1 set of lights to be removed to reduce the frustration

Sounds about right to me, we have a road junction near me that featured in a local newspaper recently, it has 35 signs either on or approaching the junction :eek: how the heck are you supposed to observe all of those? The next thing we will be told is you cant remove them, just in case some little Miss Daisy bumps her car and sues the :censor: off the council :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

trafficlight.jpg ;) :lol:

*Rips up application form for a job building traffic lights*

I never thought for a minute that the just grow out of the ground :(

Some of those look ready to pick as well :)

The mere assertion that they pioneered that scheme and it worked is enough to have me thinking that most people are therefore utterly F***ing retarded. I've never heard so much sheet in all my life... ooo... hang on except the claims there were no wmd's in iraq after sadam used them to gas several thousand people in a small Kurd village.

Moderation by all means, fewer and more meaningful signs certainly. None at all? My area would become a bloodbath from road rage at peak hours due to the endless stream of traffic making it absolutely impossible for traffic from most directions to go anywhere as the ignorant bast*rds blocking exits and such would simply continue to do so with impunity.

I'd just prefer it if more people actually had some respect for other road users and displayed some obvious signs of common sense. Maybe if they also taught youngsters that think theyre driving gods and angry old people some decorum things would improve likewise...

lol me having a rant :D

The mere assertion that they pioneered that scheme and it worked is enough to have me thinking that most people are therefore utterly F***ing retarded. I've never heard so much sheet in all my life... ooo... hang on except the claims there were no wmd's in iraq after sadam used them to gas several thousand people in a small Kurd village.

Moderation by all means, fewer and more meaningful signs certainly. None at all? My area would become a bloodbath from road rage at peak hours due to the endless stream of traffic making it absolutely impossible for traffic from most directions to go anywhere as the ignorant bast*rds blocking exits and such would simply continue to do so with impunity.

I'd just prefer it if more people actually had some respect for other road users and displayed some obvious signs of common sense. Maybe if they also taught youngsters that think theyre driving gods and angry old people some decorum things would improve likewise...

lol me having a rant :D

That's allowed :thumbsup: Keeps General on the boil & interesting :fishyface:

That's allowed :thumbsup: Keeps General on the boil & interesting :fishyface:

YAY! :thumbsup:

on another note... i notice it makes no mention of safety cameras lmao The things that cause most people to immediately take their eyes off the road and pay attention solely to whats happening on the dash instead of whats happening ouside in front and too the sides...

Of course we don't actually need any proof that the people making the decisions are stupid selfish arrogant slavers that persecute the majority for their own selfish ends do we.... :bann:

Vive la revolution :giljotiini::yahoo:

I was in Nairobi last year, there are traffic signs and nobody takes a flying figs worth of notice of them. When you join a roundabout, it's who dares wins with the approach speed, I have never been so scared and I was on a bus!

Kingo :thumbsup:

there is a junction in Pontefract that used to be a roundabout (decades ago?) and then got changed to a traffic light junction.

Everytime the lights go there is abolsutely no traffic, people get through quicker. and there have been no accidents. As soon as the lights come back on there is queues half a mile back. They are shockingly bad lights.

Sounds like a junction in Westbrook, Warrington Moff.... used to be a roundabout... now traffic lights, and it queues back about 3 roundabouts down the road now... *sigh

trafficlight.jpg ;) :lol:

Beleive it or not, this so called "piece of art" is in the middle of a roundabout/junction, in Canary Wharf!

I have heard mention of it causing a few near misses by confused drivers not realising it was "art" as opposed to a proper traffic signal. If a few people got killed there, I recon there would be a gatso placed on or nearby, rather than remove the offending article.

Dunno how it got the green light in the first place! :lol:

Beleive it or not, this so called "piece of art" is in the middle of a roundabout/junction, in Canary Wharf!

:o there was me thinking it was just a peetake photoshop picture... im now thinking angle grinder :lol:

I can appreciate that most systems for traffic flow are susceptible to problems. I appreciate that a good flowing roundabout is something attractive cf sitting static at lights for no reason on occasion. The people planning the roads though appear to have absolutely zero intelligence. They cause !Removed! havoc by making every other roundabout a 4 lane monstrosity guessing game of exactly which lane to be in, they dont put filters in places where they would greatly improve flow of traffic from directions that never get allowed to pass by other plonkers, they build mini roundabouts that are in places which often dont accomodate the turning circle of anything other than small cars and pushbikes forcing ppl to drive over them, they make lanes so narrow that effectively they are asking for accidents and property damage for most people and perhaps worse still they build stupid jutting bits of pavement out on competing sides so as to bottleneck pieces of road encouraging that wonderful game from my youth 'chicken'.

Bunch of stupidity driven sycophantic ballsacks!

there is a junction in Pontefract that used to be a roundabout (decades ago?) and then got changed to a traffic light junction.

Everytime the lights go there is absolutely no traffic, people get through quicker. and there have been no accidents. As soon as the lights come back on there is queues half a mile back. They are shockingly bad lights.

Exactly the point of the whole scheme.

I reckon that it is worth giving it a try. We now have NCTs(MOT) Seatbelts, speed limits, Alcohol limits etc etc & more accidents & people being killed than ever. Ok, there are more cars & more powerful ones too, on the roads.

It is what Jinxed said, those who are smart, think ahead, are courteous, & allow for what the other eejit may do, will generally survive. It is called "Survival of the fittest" :driving:

The people planning the roads though appear to have absolutely zero intelligence

Coventry ring road - Let's design a road where the on and off ramps are the same piece of tarmac.

Coventry Ricoh Arena roundabout - Let's make the lane markings so bad that we have to change them after 1 month due to the complaints from driving instructors.

Hemel Hempstead - Let's build a roundabout and surround it with mini roundabouts so it looks like a set of crop circles.

Not only do people get paid to design these road layouts but other people get paid to look at the plans and approve them. I wish I got paid to smoke what they smoke. :wacko:

Let's build a roundabout and surround it with mini roundabouts so it looks like a set of crop circles.

:lol:

only 3500 or so died last year in cars!

thats nothing really when you realise 11,000 people died from infections in hospital that they did NOT have when they went in!

only 3500 or so died last year in cars!

thats nothing really when you realise 11,000 people died from infections in hospital that they did NOT have when they went in!

But have you not noticed? People aren't SUPPOSED to die nowadays . It is wrong & politically incorrect. They must be kept alive by all the resources of Modern Science, no matter how hopeless the case is. I know that it is sad that people die in Hospitals from diseases they didn't have on going in. Science discovered Antibiotics. People who would have died, lived. Bacteria developed resistance to Antibiotics, so people now die anyway.

Long way off the topic of "Change in Traffic Controls" :shutit: but if I were a hopeless case in Hospital, I wouldn't want to be kept going past my time by Science :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links