Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Time Has Come To Choose My Car.

Yarisboy

Right, been a little inactive on the forum of late due to other things...

but I am now imminently choosing a car to buy and insure for up to 5... maybe 6 thousand

So if I can please ask you all once again to help me make a decission, apologies in advance that they're not all toyota's but i'd be greatful if you could make a non-snobby, honest reply as if you were in my situation... thanks :)

oh yes, 19 years old, 0ncb (for insurance purposes)

Celica 5th gen

Mazda 323

Mitsubishi FTO GS (1.8, 125bhp)

VW Corrado (1.816v)

thanks in advance, look forward to reading your opinions :thumbsup:

ok my opinion

celica - think this is ya best option pretty cheap to pick up a decent example with a nice host of modding bits to pick up, also one of those cars where the styling doesnt seem to 'age'

mazda 323 - (which one) the one with the slitty headlamps and high back end?? (lantis version??) a nice car and chock full of toys on the high end import models, a rare one to mod, but it always somat different

FTO - ummmms an ahhhhhs with this one, its a nice looker but no good unless ya gettin the v6, but then the insurance will be easier on ya wallet. an i would have thought this would be the most expensive option

corrado! - cos its christmas i leave my thoughts at, if ya like it get one

if it was me choosing i think id have the celica overall, with the FTO coming second

:thumbsup:

Its a real tussle with the celica and FTO, FTO for looks, celica for tuning potential and cheaper on the insurance as wont have to be a import...................but think id go for FTO........not as many around.

I was looking at FTO before choosing a mr2, FTO is really nice with the V6 mivec. Loads of low ends torque.

Abit tricky to insure it, as tesco can provide quite a competitive quote for unmodified but tracker is needed.

Celica. without a doubt.

The FTO is very pretty, but its a hairdressers car.

the other don;t even bear thinking about (apart from the corrado.. they are lovely.... but a tad boring for my liking)

don;t get anything with a V6, -they are rubbish.

I'd go 4 an FTO basically cos u'd be the only 1 around that owns 1 and people stare and wonder wot it is!!! Heard they're quite good 2!!!

:thumbsup:

insurance on an FTO is unbareable... even the 1.8 which is only 120bhp.. most companies won't touch u until you're 21, nevermind 19 with 0ncb :(

i think... if i could find a nice 6th gen celica for under 4k i'd go with that... if it was the 2.0GT i'd have to just insure it 3rd party and drive carefully for a year :D

As I imagine insurance on the 2.0GT is a little bit silly... TPFT is the only way to go for both the celica and the FTO, which I don't really mind, there's no easy way around bringing your insurance down as a young driver.

at least with TPFT I can be earning ncb, and also protected from people crashing into me :thumbsup:

just out of interest... what sort of performance are u looking at with the 2.0GT celica? :help:

When i got my Celica.. my options were between the following..

91 200SX 1.8 Turbo

Audi Coupe 2.0

Corrado 1.8

Celica 5th gen...

200SX very hard to insure due to the turbo.. but very cheap to pick up..

The Corrado is such a sweet car!!! you either love em or hate em.. and the 1.8 is quite a nippy car as well..(my next car is gonna be the G60/VR6 model :P )

Audi.. very nice again if you get the facelift model but the stats aint all that..

all in all.. The Celica it is.. I would saw Corrado but its hard to find one with any decent history.... :thumbsup:

I heard somewhere that all Corrado's are group 19 insurance which would make it pretty expensive for whats just a nice looking Golf. I'd choose the FTO first then the Celica mainly because the FTO is more current and more unusual.

I heard somewhere that all Corrado's are group 19 insurance which would make it pretty expensive for whats just a nice looking Golf. I'd choose the FTO first then the Celica mainly because the FTO is more current and more unusual.

i believe that you have been miss-informed mate...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/insuranc...spare1=&spare2=

I thought they werent that bad when i came to check for insurance... came us same as my 5th gen Celica in price...

and on a side note... the FTO with cost a bomb to insure for a 19 year old with 0NCB....

yes FTO would be my choice as well if I could afford to insure the 2.0 V6 mivec... but I can't!! :D

anyhow, just been out to all the local garages trying to find some 5thgen and 6th gen celicas to compare

and I must say, the 5th gen is a lovely looking thing, much better in person than it is in pictures... the 6thgen is too agressive looking to have a 1.8 in :lol:

All in all, the 5th gen is nice and I could see myself driving one.. especially in black :drool: ... the red is quite nice too!

2.0 GTi's aren't they?.. what sort of insurance group/premium am i likely to be paying and what's the bhp/0-60 etc etc

thanks very much guys for all your opinions, but the 5th gen celica will do me for a year or so if I can find a nice example :thumbsup:

(also if u know anyone trying to get rid of a nice example please tell me cos i'm interested!!)

Sam

36JJ0025.jpg

thats mine... :rolleyes:

2.0GT...168bhp... 0-60 in abour 7.9... insurance group 16... :thumbsup:

now go and get one!

Id get the celica. Cheaper insurance cheaper to run and all round less hassle. Plus if you get one in black with stock exterior but with just a 40mm drop + 17/16s it looks sooooooo evil.

Holy sh :censor: t Fizz you just posted that ..coincidence or what heh. didnt see it when I put my above opinion lol!. Thats EXACTLY the look im talkin about...but if you lower it and take the Toyota Badge off the front it looks mintered. I wish I could find a pic i seen with these simple mods it looked stunning :drool:

Oh and what wheels are those youve got fizz? Ave they got a polished finish polished?

i'm 21 years old, surpricing enough (or not) insuring a MR2 turbo is more expensive then FTO top spec. but FTO needs tracker. :)

In my oppinion, u do get notice in a FTO than a celica.

For your age and NCB, i will keep the same car u using now. save enough money to get a powerfull car when u r 21, because at that time u will want to change your car agian due to insurance allows you to have import or more powerfull car. (like GT4 or supra TT :rolleyes: )

For your age and NCB, i will keep the same car u using now. save enough money to get a powerfull car when u r 21, because at that time u will want to change your car agian due to insurance allows you to have import or more powerfull car. (like GT4 or supra TT :rolleyes: )

I said that in his previous post............but it fell on deaf ears :huh:

Holy sh :censor: t Fizz you just posted that ..coincidence or what heh. didnt see it when I put my above opinion lol!. Thats EXACTLY the look im talkin about...but if you lower it and take the Toyota badge off the front it looks mintered.  I wish I could find a pic i seen with these simple mods it looked stunning :drool:

Oh and what wheels are those youve got fizz? Ave they got a polished finish polished?

here you go mate...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/al...lbum01?&page=74

Like most people have said... the Celica looks to be the most right choice for you at this time...

if you check the link... that shows you some other angles of my car.. with the rims...

p.s) stay away from the FTO ... Hairdressers car... :P

Also forgot to mention that the 'Toyota' is etched into that carbon fiber look alike strip thingy... so cant remove it..

Cheers for all your help Fizz, top bloke :D

almost certainly going for 5th gen celica now, so long as i can find a nice black/red one that's been looked after i'll be straight in :thumbsup:

thanks again ;)

Cheers for all your help Fizz, top bloke  :D

almost certainly going for 5th gen celica now, so long as i can find a nice black/red one that's been looked after i'll be straight in  :thumbsup:

thanks again  ;)

Its all good mate... :thumbsup:

and on a side note... check this link out...

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200347120468839

these blue ones dont look all that bad either...lol

... B) lol

if i could find a nice 6th gen celica for under 4k i'd go with that... if it was the 2.0GT i'd have to just insure it 3rd party and drive carefully for a year :D

Sounds good to me dude!

Thats how i first got into toyotas. Bought me a 1998 S Reg GT (WAS £8K but p/x'ed my old Citroen on it so it cost me £6k).

Great first coupe for me which is VERY RAPID over 5k rpm.

Seen off a brand new Audi TT when i first got it, dude wasnt too happy :D

Insurance should be approx £1500 for a uk on 3rd party IMHO.

Go for it dude! You wont regret it!

(Also by the way the Gen 7's you can now pick up for about 6k!. Still preffer the Gen6 though :P )

if it were me, id go for the corrado every time! they are just so understated, and look so mean dropped on some tasty wheels (in that really dark blue!). but its not me :D

i was quite surprised reading how many people there are saying FTO's are rare/nice. there are loads round where i live (and i mean loads! :P ). jst never really done it for me. always looked like the front and the rear were designed by 2 different people.

still, you can't go far wrong with a celica (and i think that version looked better than the one that replaced it). :thumbsup:

yeah there's loads of FTO's near me too, totally agree with the front and back looking like they belong to different cars though m8!

looks like a small supra from the front... and some sort of alfa from the back!

my mind is firmly set on a 5th gen celica for the time being.... i COULD yet go for a 6th gen, but I fear the insurance will be too much even 3rd party on a 6th gen :(

(is it true that the 5th gen costs less to insure than the 6th gen?)

I like the look of both celicas, the pop up headlights on the 5gen just do it for me though, and that long sweeping bonnet, the wing mirrors look awesome too for its age!

the 6gen is a more agressive looking thing, i like it though.... not sure about the extra few thousand i'd have to fork out for it though :(

what sort of mpg do both the gen5 and gen6 return (both 2.0 GT engines) ?

any info that u can give me on the celicas will be welcomed :D

oh and JT... the corrado is just too rare to find a 1.8 in nice condition near me for cheap enough :( gonna have the money in a matter of days now and will need this car to travel to work so i don't have the luxury of spending weeks looking for an example!

can't wait to get a celica though :thumbsup:

Good man :thumbsup:

Sticking with the celica idea :drool: Oh but what about the MR2 :help: Oh Oh have i just put a spanner in the work's :shutit:

jerry!!