Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wots Better?

Ryan1985

Hi!!!

I recall from previous posts that some people thought that French Yarii well worse made than Japanese Yarii! Is this correct?

If so, wots the major faults with the French made 1's compared 2 the Japanese made 1's!

Cheers in advance!

:thumbsup:

There are no major faults with either, but the French ones don't tend to be quite aswell finished in respect of the upper half of the glovebox requires help to fully close and a few of the joins in the dashboard dont tend to be quite as flush. Also from my experience, the French ones tend to be a bit noisier.

the jap ones do seem a bit better

ive owned both and they do seem to be put together alittle better ansd theres more soundproofing in them than french ones

:thumbsup:

One other thing?

Wen u go into a dealer can u request a Japanese made 1 or do u just get wot ur given?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Second hand you can choose what you like, just look in the top drivers side of the windscreen and it will say where it's made.

If not, lift the upper glove box and see if it closes all the way by it's self, if it does, then it's a Japanese one.

If your buying new, then your out of look as they are all now French made since the facelift, and all the 1.0's from about 2001 onwards are aswell.

my face lift model t-sport was made in japan so they are out there, its only 10 weeks old, :P

had both french and japanesse and agree with the sound proofing debate :yes:

When i got my Yaris back in July 2002 i was told that most of the lower models were being made in France to my disappointment :crybaby: . But the SR and T-Sports were still being made in Japan at that time, so i requested a Jap one and was able to get my Jap built baby in time :D

But if its one of the facelift ones then its most likely to be a Fenchie, unless they can still get Jap ones for ya! :thumbsup:

When I bought mine, the french factory was just starting to produce models - the TS was Jap only.

When mine was in for some re-soundproofing behind the dash, I asked the technician who took me out for a sound check what he thought of the French builds. He said that the first ones shipped in needed to have some bolts (don't remember which) re-torqued as they were not to tightened to the correct spec! It was quite a big deal at the time.

Having owned and driven several French cars, I don't have a very high opinion of French manufacture. Peugeot/Citroen in particular.

As for the soundproofing, I think all Yaris have serious rattles.

It depends on reg and engine.

It should say in the top corner of the drivers side windscreen.

But if it's pre-2000/2001 then it will be Japanese, if it's a 1.3 then it will be Japanese.

The facelift ones are different but as yours is a CDX and they dont do one anymore then it doesnt matter.

It appears yours might be an import from somewhere like motorpoint as they didnt tend to have the CDX badges.

It depends on reg and engine.

It should say in the top corner of the drivers side windscreen.

But if it's pre-2000/2001 then it will be Japanese, if it's a 1.3 then it will be Japanese.

The facelift ones are different but as yours is a CDX and they dont do one anymore then it doesnt matter.

It appears yours might be an import from somewhere like motorpoint as they didnt tend to have the CDX badges.

of couse its an import not from motorpoint ....shhhh...dont tell the insurance company or interpol

cant see any thing on the glass :(

so you cant get a french 1.3 CDX?

• 3 weeks later...
Having owned and driven several French cars, I don't have a very high opinion of French manufacture. Peugeot/Citroen in particular.

It's not really fair to compare Toyotas built in France to Peugeot/Citroën. The Toyota factory was custom built to Japanese specs (IIRC), and once it was fully on line the Japanese inspection rated it as a superior facility to their own factory. Toyota made quite a thing out of it over here.

My mum drives a UK-spec French-built Yaris 1.0, and while I can't compare to the Jap versions never having had the opportunity to drive one, I can compare to Peugeots & Citroëns, and there's no competition as to quality of build

P.S. You might as well compare the UK-built Jaguars from the 70's to the new Avensis. I have no complaints as to the build quality of my UK-built Avensis :D

so you cant get a french 1.3 CDX?

No, all of the pre-facelift non 1.0's were Japanese, with the earlier 1.0's also being Japanese.

Are 1.3 T3 yaris jap or french...new ones 04 reg March?

Most likely that will be French

It's not really fair to compare Toyotas built in France to Peugeot/Citroën. The Toyota factory was custom built to Japanese specs (IIRC), and once it was fully on line the Japanese inspection rated it as a superior facility to their own factory. Toyota made quite a thing out of it over here.

My mum drives a UK-spec French-built Yaris 1.0, and while I can't compare to the Jap versions never having had the opportunity to drive one, I can compare to Peugeots & Citroëns, and there's no competition as to quality of build

French Yaris' are still superior to Citroens/Peugoets, but if you look around inside one and at the paint finish you can always tell that the Japanese Yaris' are better.

P.S. You might as well compare the UK-built Jaguars from the 70's to the new Avensis. I have no complaints as to the build quality of my UK-built Avensis 

British built Toyotas are not bad, I have an old Avensis, but it is certainly not the same quality as my friends Carina II and my dads Camry - both of which are Jap built.

i have a 51 reg 1.0l but its japanese rattles like :censor: but i'd hate havin a french one if its noisyer

i have a 51 reg 1.0l but its japanese rattles like :censor: but i'd hate havin a french one if its noisyer

Nothing to do with the subs in your boot shaking the car to bits then! :rolleyes:

What are we doing...cant us Brits get anything right....surely the design and manu is by robots not Uk personell so why would jap make be any better than UK built. Take for eg Honda....who would say Uk Swindon biult Honda's are inferior to Jap make. Its poss the !Removed! are at fault by letting us produce there lower quality cars for the Uk market.....I can't see why they would do that its their product/image.

Cars are not made by Robots, only certain parts of it are. Generally, the main assembly of components are still by humans on a production line.

It is this human aspect of the manufacture that influences how a car is made. In certain countries, a workforce has different opinions on what is good enough and what quality control is satisfactory.

As a rule, the French do not have particularly high quality control and feel that a product only needs to be assembled upto a certain level. This is why the majority of French cars are not of a high quality, but of one that is good enough, it is common with all French cars like the Clio, Saxo, 106 etc.

Toyota insist that quality is important so they will ensure that the cars are made as good as possible in a certain factory, but can only be made as good as the workforce is prepared to make them.

British built cars are better, but cars like the CarinaE and my Avensis are not as good as the Carina II was, there are a few rattles, things flex a bit where they don't quite fit etc.

A good example is on the Yaris. Around the radio display/clock there is a section of plastic just above it which goes horizontally. On the Japanese ones you can see a line where the join is, but it does fit together, the French ones there is a noticeable height difference on this piece of plastic. Also, the top section of the glovebox, the Japanese ones close properley when you push them down, if you watch a French one when closing you will notice one side doesnt quite run properley and ends up closed with that one side at a bit of angle which requires a further push to make it flush, this is just because the quality control in France obviously found that if it closes then it's acceptable, whereas the Japanese insist that it closes with precision.

Paintwork is another area. Look at a rear bumper and inside the boot on a French Yaris - especially facelift, the paint finish in these areas is usually speckly and of poor quality. The inside of the boot lid edge is deemed to be good enough in the French ones because you don't see it, but the Japanese ones the paint finish is better because they want the whole car to be good, not just look good on the outside.

The Japanese themselves generally will not buy an inferior quality car, which is why there is not many cars that are made outside of Japan that people buy there. Europeans on the other hand, are usually satisfied with something that it good enough which is why there are millions of Fords and Vauxhalls on the road, because they are good enough to do the job. So cars made in Japan, have to be good enough for the Japanese, and it is just luck that we can get hold of cars made to their standards, so if you can, get one take advantage as they are better.

dont french ones go through a gearbox every couple of weeks????????????

Sorry - but I have to reply to this. Again, I'm not going to make excuses for Pugs & Citroëns, but for the French & UK built Toyotas there are a few things to bear in mind:

As far as I know the quality control in an European factory follows the Jap spec. There is no difference in the procedures or in the "acceptable" level of quality.

If I recall correctly the paint is done by robots, and the programs should be the same in European & Asian factories.

Thirdly Toyota is selling the British-built Avensis in Japan. It has to be good enough for them to accept :P

i have a 51 reg 1.0l but its japanese rattles like  :censor:  but i'd hate havin a french one if its noisyer

Nothing to do with the subs in your boot shaking the car to bits then! :rolleyes:

sounds oddly familiar

Hello i have bought a new yaris ts

are all left hand driven yaris bilt in france or is my built in jap

i get my yaris in next week

• 3 weeks later...

easiest check to see what country your car was built is to look at the first character of your VIN. If it is a J then your car was built in Japan, if it is a V then it was built in France.

HTH,

yvvan.