Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Picnic Keyfob

turks123

Hi guys..

Got a bit of a problem!!

Recently bought a toyota picnic GX auto.. it came with a keyfob but the Battery was flat on it. So i went to get the Battery changed (which is all well and good!) but it still wont lock and unlock the car - any ideas? i got a feeling that it needs reprogramming but the question would be how?! - dont say take it to the dealers!!!!!

thanks for your time

Tee.

Hi guys..

Got a bit of a problem!!

Recently bought a toyota picnic GX auto.. it came with a keyfob but the battery was flat on it. So i went to get the battery changed (which is all well and good!) but it still wont lock and unlock the car - any ideas? i got a feeling that it needs reprogramming but the question would be how?! - dont say take it to the dealers!!!!!

thanks for your time

Tee.

I have a picnic and the following instructions worked for me, however if you don't get it right first time keep trying as it sometimes takes a few goes to get it right

"1. Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.

2. Insert programmed black key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.

4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Close driver's door.

7. Insert key in ignition

8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.

9. Remove key from ignition.

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.

(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of times corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:

(11a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times. (11b) Release and press LOCK once. (11c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.

(11d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (11a).

12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure."

Hi there mate, thanks for the reply.. unfortunately its not working! Any idea what plan B is?!

Hi there mate, thanks for the reply.. unfortunately its not working! Any idea what plan B is?!

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.

(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of times corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:

(11a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times. (11b) Release and press LOCK once. (11c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.

If you got to stage 10 and the doors locked and unlocked then you are on the right track, if not it may not be the right method for programming your keyfob and I suggest you search the forums on this site. My picnic is a 98 model with the TVSS IV-S security system, yours may be a different system.

If however at stage 10 the doors lock and unlock but at 11a when pressing the lock button and at the same time unlock 5 times you do not hear the door locks operate perhaps your keyfob is stuffed.

If the door locks do operate at 11a/b it might be a question of timing as it took me about 10 times to get it right.

Also try this link

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...4&hl=remote

I had a key problem with my Previa and ended up having to buy a new key. The key was ordered from the Toyota dealer at £158.00 When I went to pick it up and they went through the programing sequence which did not work! To start with they just said it won't work and we need your permission to investigate the problem. If I didn't want that doing I'd have to pay for the replacement key working or not. To me this sounded like another main dealer scam that would mean me having to forking out another £600 on engine management parts. Thankfully in the end they offered to give my car a quick once over so see if they could find the cause. Quite quickly they discovered both intereior light door switched had been disconnected and that was stopping the prorgraming sequence. Now I've had the car from new and never messed about with the electrics. The garage said the connecters were good and very unlikely to have just fallen off. In the end I left more than happy with my new key and working interior lights.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys..

Got a bit of a problem!!

Recently bought a toyota picnic GX auto.. it came with a keyfob but the battery was flat on it. So i went to get the battery changed (which is all well and good!) but it still wont lock and unlock the car - any ideas? i got a feeling that it needs reprogramming but the question would be how?! - dont say take it to the dealers!!!!!

thanks for your time

Tee.

Find the TVSS IIIB ECU, It will be tie wrapped to the chassis of the car , Cut the two tie wraps to allow easy access, There will be a security bracket held in with one screw and one rivet.covering the connection between the cables and the ecu , You will need to remove this plate by drilling out the rivet (there is no cable behind the rivit so don’t worry) then undo the screw at the opposite side, you then slide the cover down until it slips off , This now allows you access to the cables , you do not need to disconnect thenm just push them to one side and you will see a small green button and a row of dip switches (8 switches I think).Place a cocktail stick on the button (buton has a little hole in it so the cocktail stick fits perfect, (at this time don’t press the button ) make sure all the doors and boot and bonnet are closed then turn the ignition to the on position with the key (the engine will not start).Now you press and hold this green button until the red LED stays on , this is the red led on the dashboard (usually around 3 or 4 sec for this to happen) keeping the green button pushed in press both buttons on the remote (lock and unlock) together until flashers activate once.then release the green button , turn off the ignition try arming with remote it should lock the doors. if not let me know

note: do this with all doors, bonnet etc SHUT!

The tvss iiib ecu is behind the glovbox in a toyota picnic and behind the drivers footwell panel in a toyota rav 4

This works 100%

• 13 years later...

Resurrecting this abit as i own an old toyota carina E with the toyota TVSS iiiB alarm and 1 of the fobs had programming issues for a year or so.

I just left it until i found an old installation manual of the TVSS iiiB (see attached) after which after reading the 2 highlighted points on the attached, manage get the 2nd fob reprogrammed. Instructions i did were as follow and hope if someone needs to give it a go it may help you:

1) take out the Battery of the fob u want to programme. make sure its a good Battery with good voltage. 

2) get in the car and shut the door, put in the Battery of the fob, press either button twice close to the foot well, to see if it re-programmes the fob. if it responds, u got a winner, if does not respond, take out the battery again and go to step 3.

3) press any button for a few times after removing the battery a 2nd time in point 2 above, (this supposedly will cause the fob's rolling code to be lost)

4) put in the battery back in immediately after step 3 and shut the casing

5) press either buttons again 2 times with the fob close to the footwell which hopefully is close proximity with your immobliser box. you should then trigger the immobliser's rolling code to accept this new fob. 

if this does not work, reset it again by pressing the buttons whilst the battery is out and then repeat from step 3 on again, try to get the fob as close to the immobliser box as you can whilst u press either buttons 2 times on step 5. 

good luck. 

toyota TVSS iiiB alarm key fob programming instructions.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links