Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Damsel In Distress

JadeGTI

Hi guys, need your diagnostic skills. My corolla gti is not running well, i had 2 b towed home by the AA, when the car is running it keeps revving up and down, going from 2500rpm to 3500. I swapped my throttle position sensor over because the AA guy said it was that, but it made no diffrence. Any1 had this problem? Or can offer advice, i need my car 4 work so its urgent!

Thanks

J

XX

When my old AE82 (same engine) did that it was because the water was low, check that if you havent already

If yours is like the AE82 there is a cap on the rad, open this and make sure its full to the top, squeeze the rubber hoses while the caps off to make sure there is not a air lock in there.

I have recently been having the same problem with my mr2 - at start up it was bouncing the revs then it died off after a few miles , i thought it was an airlock in the system - so we bled the air out and topped coolant up, thought we had solved it , but we hadnt - a few weeks later this error resulted in a violent overheating of the car which blew the cap off the expansion tank, spat the entire contents of the coolant system out of the engine cover and all over the car whilst i was sat at some traffic lights! :eek: - it went with a right bang!

:(

I have been told it could be anything from a faulty thermostat to a blown water pump - to worst case a blown head gasket :(

I am on the case today to try and find out what the problem is - but if i were you id give the cooling system a really good going over - get some advice off somebody who has got the same car and been through the same problem - dont know if there is another owners club specifically for your model - but its well worth a look - i found the mk1 mr2 club invaluable as they have more in depth knowlegde of problems for my model.

Best advice is dont leave it - if needs be - take it to a garage to get it checked over if you dont want to do it yourself

T x

is yours the non tvis as i had this when i removed the airbox to fit an induction kit, it had something to do with the box attached to the airbox (IIRC it had a vac pipe to it) refitted the std airbox and a performance panel filter and it was fine. any engine management codes?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links