Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d 2.2 Excessive Oil Consumption

rds2200

i own a toyota avensis d4d 2.2 from 2006 just two weeks after i purchase this the oil warning light came on went to my local dealer to have this envestigated and they toped up the oil, after 1500 miles, the same thing happened spoke with toyota uk, which told me that they are aware of the problem, they have told me that they are going to replace the piston rings but after three months still no sign of the parts being manufactured.

Any ideals what i should do, im going on holiday next month back home, its about 2000 miles, and i know that i will need to stop to top up the oil

can i just drop the car off to toyota and let them deal with it .

help

i own a toyota avensis d4d 2.2 from 2006 just two weeks after i purchase this the oil warning light came on went to my local dealer to have this envestigated and they toped up the oil, after 1500 miles, the same thing happened spoke with toyota uk, which told me that they are aware of the problem, they have told me that they are going to replace the piston rings but after three months still no sign of the parts being manufactured.

Any ideals what i should do, im going on holiday next month back home, its about 2000 miles, and i know that i will need to stop to top up the oil

can i just drop the car off to toyota and let them deal with it .

help

hello mate

you're the custome and the SLOGAN of MrT is that the client is always right !!!

i would follow steps as below:

- get a written confirmation from them first with clear date of ecceptance of your claim;

- collect all bills for oil cans that will be used as for topping and after show the same to them for refunding.

cheers/Igor

Thanks i havent paid for any oil yet, because i have been to toyota for them to do it, but i need a confirmation that the claim is in and that they are going to do to fix this.

I just wanted to know if someone else has had the same problem.

Thanks

It is a known problem on 2.0/2.2&2.2 D-cat engines.

Mart.

Thanks i havent paid for any oil yet, because i have been to toyota for them to do it, but i need a confirmation that the claim is in and that they are going to do to fix this.

I just wanted to know if someone else has had the same problem.

Thanks

you've to be focused only on confirmation as written.

good luck

Igor

hi i wrk for toyota as a mechanic and as people have said its a known problem were i wrk in leeds we have about 15 avensis's mainly facelifted ones with the new engines in (only diesel ones) that are burning oil but toyota have told us that we arent aloud to wrk/repair the engines till they bring the moddified parts out which was ment to be realesed in april then may then june and now july but poss they mate move the date further back.

but not to be of consurn as toyota will extend the warrenty if needed most likely

like on the 1,8VVti engines

• 4 months later...
hi i wrk for toyota as a mechanic and as people have said its a known problem were i wrk in leeds we have about 15 avensis's mainly facelifted ones with the new engines in (only diesel ones) that are burning oil but toyota have told us that we arent aloud to wrk/repair the engines till they bring the moddified parts out which was ment to be realesed in april then may then june and now july but poss they mate move the date further back.

but not to be of consurn as toyota will extend the warrenty if needed most likely

Any update on this problem - I have a T180 and it appears as if it may be strating to use oil, just about coming up to 20000 miles

Modified parts have been available for a couple of months now - i had an engine stripped a while back waiting for technical to give us the go ahead that the parts were available.

Done plenty of these now (had to replace a couple of short motors (technical/parts tech assured me that the short motors supplied were fitted with the modded pistons/rings)

Not doing as many oil consumption probs these days its mainly oil leaks from head gasket/timing chain covers now :(

Mart.

Modified parts have been available for a couple of months now - i had an engine stripped a while back waiting for technical to give us the go ahead that the parts were available.

Done plenty of these now (had to replace a couple of short motors (technical/parts tech assured me that the short motors supplied were fitted with the modded pistons/rings)

Not doing as many oil consumption probs these days its mainly oil leaks from head gasket/timing chain covers now :(

Mart.

Mart

Thanks for that info - I am going to keep a careful eye on it following the 20000 service and see what happens. At least then the dealer knows when and who topped up the oil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looks like I am at the start of the process!!!

This morning I called the dealership in Taunton to report that my Avensis had used a sump full since last service at 20k. It's booked for its 30k in a couple of weeks. They have advised that they replace the oil and then get me back in after 1000 miles to check it. I asked if it was a known problem and the guy said "no"

I have a Dec 06 D4d T3X

Any advice on how I should play it to get to sorted asap? What is the 'known problem'?

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke to local Mr T dealer at the 20000k service and they said they would monitor oil level as there is a known problem. After 700 miles level had dropped to 3/4 level on dipstick. They have phoned me and said that Toyota have authorised pistons and rings and they will do the work before the new year. Also providing a courtesy car.

Can't fault them so far........................

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Looks like I am at the start of the process!!!

This morning I called the dealership in Taunton to report that my Avensis had used a sump full since last service at 20k. It's booked for its 30k in a couple of weeks. They have advised that they replace the oil and then get me back in after 1000 miles to check it. I asked if it was a known problem and the guy said "no"

I have a Dec 06 D4d T3X

Any advice on how I should play it to get to sorted asap? What is the 'known problem'?

regards

UPDATE:

Had oil check and used 1/4 litre of oil over 1200 miles, so there appears not to be a problem (?). Only thing is that the MPG had dropped from an average of 49 MPG to 43 MPG. Dealership put this down to the cold weather. Also changed tyres to Goodyear NCT around the time to MPG dropped. Would this be the cause???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links