Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Master Cylinder Failed - 2001 D4d- Repair Cost?

bluesky2008

Hi all,

I've just had cluch failed. Leaking clutch fluid, creaking noise, clutch pedal get stuck to the floor, etc

Reading from the forums here looks like failed clutch master cylinder.

Taken the car it to the main dealer and they confirm the problem.

Their quote for repair is £300. Is that about right?

To me it sound bit excessive considering that new part is about £70-80 on the internet. Second hand is about £35-45.

Can the master cylinder be replaced by myself? (DIY). There is no Haynes manual for Avensis Diesel 2001, only petrol one. I think I would probably struggle without any help.

Is there any independent Toyota service/garage in South Manchester (Stockport/Wilmslow) area which you can recommend.

Many thanks.

Car model: Avensis Hatchback D4D 2001

Thanks again.

bluesky2008

You won't need a Haynes manual for this repair. It is a bolt-on part - Straight swap. All FWD Toyotas are virtually identical. A set of metric spanners/sockets is all that's required. The Petrol version will be the same as that for the diesel. The manual covering this repair spends 75% explaining how to change the seals - that part won't be required by you.

It would be wise to invest in a brake bleed kit (Halfords) for the new fluid. You may need a pair of fine pliers to swap the circlip (if there is one) which retains the push rod.

If you source the part then get cold feet - any garage can do this repair - 1-2 hours chargable labour - tops.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links