Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sera Fuel Economy

superfreak

Aaaargh!

I just worked out that my Sera is only returning 34mpg and thats driving at 50mph so keeping the revs low at 2000 in top gear!!!

Something is wrong right?

I thought it was because its an auto. My ex girlfriend had a paseo manual that did about 42mpg

if it's an auto then it'll use more juice than a manual.

The Seo uses a different variant on the engine - 5E-FE and not a 5E-FHE. The Sera engine has about 10-15 hp more than the seo and bigger injectors if I recall.

Hi thanks for your reply..

34MPG is absolute maximum not in traffic or anything like that. I never got anything more than that. thats 460km on a tank. So you think that might be normal for the auto?

If so its pretty disappointing for a small car. I also have an ancient Citroen DS thats a 2.3 semi auto and even that gets to about 27mpg at best and its twice the size!!!

just checked with others on the Sera Forum and 34 is about average for an Auto.

The manuals are a lot better ( one guy hitting mid 40's ) and a Turbo converted Sera doing 30ish.

Thanks for that.

Im very disappointed but at least its relatively normal.

I bought the car because it was funky and cheap for the mileage but i had hoped for much better economy from such a small vehicle. The manual wasnt really an option as I would have trouble with the pedals because Im very tall. Theyre a bit more scarce anyway.

Thanks again!

What grade fuel are you using? Supermarket / Proper? 95RON - Super Unleaded.

I found that I got best economy when using Shell V-Power. More expensive fill up yes, but the difference in purchase cost was more than made up for by the extra distance you could travel on the same quantity of fuel.

Are your tyres set at the right pressure. Tracking? Is your engine serviced - new filter / plugs will make a difference. Is air con on?

What does your water temp gauge do? It should rise to half way within 5 mins of a cold start and stay there regardless of speed. If yours doesn't your thermostat is buggered and needs changing and this is probably preventing the overdrive from engaging.

The Sera is quite heavy for its size - lots of glass = heavy plus extra rigidity in the sills to add strength.

Hello!

temperature guage does as you say. Actually I had the thermostat go before so I know what thats like...the revs go through the roof right?

I take your point about the glass and weight etc.

Re service... I think maybe I should get that done. It had MOT recently but that wouldnt include a service I dont think. What sort ov MPG do you get? How abou tmpg on the better fuel?

Are there any simple modifications I can get done to improve economy. I drive further to work after a recent job change and the cost is stinging me!

Many thanks!

My Sera was turbocharged so can't compare.

However, with 95 unleaded eg supermarket fuel I would get about 350kms per tank full.

On V-Power (or Optimax as it was then) on the same quantity of fuel (typically 30 litres) I would get at least 370kms per tank full.

There isn't really any modifications you can do for economy apart from making sure the filters are clean, the tracking is set properly, the car is clean and not full of junk. Switch off air con. Driving style can be altered for better economy.

You ought to drive my Mercedes. 4.3 litre V8 - the Sera just sips fuel compared to this.

Hi!

Ive started driving differently to great effect... I have found that 90kmh gives better economy although higher revs in top gear than what I was trying before (minimal revs in top gear).

New record is 521km from a tank! Thats almost 40mpg so Im quite a bit happier...but it is really boring driving everywhere at 90kmh!!!!! (though slightly more exciting than the 80kmh I was doing before!)

Cheers!

Excellent stuff, glad you're a bit happier !

It's amazing how even a few small changes in your driving habits can prove so effective.