Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playstation 2 Or X-box?

blackcat

My boy's PS2 keep coming up with "disc read error".This is the second PS2 we've had problems with! :ffs:

I sent both in for repairs & was totally ripped off where this place in North Sheilds :arrgg-matey: just cleaned up the laser lenses & charged me for new ones.Both PS2's are again cream crackered.

Im asking you my freinds if I should buy one of those new silver PS2 or go for X-BOX console format,

What say you?

Yeah an XBOX and a Gamecube are all you need.

None of that crappy ps2 lark :D

yep Viper, done all that(after reading up varoius w/sites), cleaned it,cleaned discs,reset it,adjusted laser height,adjusted the potentiometers on the laser.Lasers are definately burnt out! :angry:

Im just sick of p :censor: ing about with them and weighing up my options <_<

(BTW it cost £80 each PS2 for supposedly new lasers which in effect were the really the old ones cleaned with alcohol & wound up to the max on the pots on the rear of the lasers to give them the appearance of new ones)

if you have a high spec p.c. dont bother buying an x-box.512mb ddr ram, an ati graphics card agp8x128mb and a 2.6ghz cpu makes the x-box look like an old atari system :lol:

I'd heard about a problem with a lot PS2's developing a disk read error. Seems it's a common flaw with some PS2's, I still think it's a great machine and as srd says, if your pc is up to it then it makes the X-Box look old hat.

Click here for a website devoted to the disk read error.

Just got myself an x-box for x-mass, as its too cold to work on the car in the garage, so...... im having a laugh.

Hello (1st post in a while)

I don't understand the reason for the disc error on the PS2 I have had one for two years with no problems. It would seem to be a waste of time to get a new one rather than get yours sorted. Make complaints to sony and the shop and keep bothering them. Most likely they'll replace it with a new one. If not then get an X-box it's by far the more surperior machine and is now getting all the game licensing. Here's an idea though why not wander into a shop that sells secondhand units and buy one of those, at least it doesnt cost as much and you know the machine has been tested.

PS2 all the way thanks, far more games and of course Gran Turismo 4's out in February!!!

Can't wait!!! :thumbsup:

Hi everyone

Had my PS2 for nearly 3 years now and I've had no trouble at all with it. Always plays the games no problems and I've watched the odd dvd now and again. My PS2 is used nearly everyday and I've got to say it's a bit of a work horse. Especially over the xmas period. Must have a good one?? :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Jerry well done mate :thumbsup: ,you must have a good 'un but do you have young kids constantly playing it?

As a measure of how much usage ,my boy(11 yo) completed all the GTA games(including Vice City) and got all the special licences(including the endurance) on all Gran Turismo games within a year!He was never off it!

Bad in a way because he now hasnt many freinds :( in the "real world" due to all his free time spent on the PS2.He now seems a little lost without his PS2.

:unsure: Dilemma,should I refrain from buying a new console?

alrite there fella.

i can say that i've had my ps2's since they came out. 1st jap one on import @ launch date, then uk one about a week after it came out here.

Had em both modded (when 1st mods came about) so u can image i've chucked very kind of disc at it.

and it's been played religiously. if not me then either of my little bro's. m8's have borrowed em, bin played at parties etc. had a lot of abuse and still working.

One thing u could try... is there any dust in the vents? clean that up. my uncle had that prob w. his nothign would work then a quick vaccum and voila!

oh yeh, just bought a new silver ps2, again got that modded.

and i have to say it's VERY nice. higher quality drive, reads better, and REALLY quite.

as for the xbox if you have about £150 spare then defo get it. it is essentially a pc but it mobile (lol its a brick in reality), there area lot of good games out for it.

-Z

Jerry well done mate :thumbsup: ,you must have a good 'un but do you have young kids constantly playing it?

As a measure of how much usage ,my boy(11 yo) completed all the GTA games(including Vice City) and got all the special licences(including the endurance) on all Gran Turismo games within a year!He was never off it!

Bad in a way because he now hasnt many freinds :( in the "real world" due to all his free time spent on the PS2.He now seems a little lost without his PS2.

:unsure: Dilemma,should I refrain from buying a new console?

Hi blackcat

Are you kidding? My PS2 is on 365 days of the year at least 3 - 4 hours a day week day's mind you. And come weekend you can fry a egg on it. It get used hard core mate. Sad really but i love it. It help me to escape reality mate!!! If you know what i mean.

jerry!!

Yep, I have to say - the disk read error is one of the most common problems on any Sony cd/dvd player. Their build quality is very poor in that department. The most likely cause is that the lens is slightly out of line. There is an adjustment screw on one of the linear tracks - and in general use it wears - therefore making the lens go out of alignment. Ive fixed a few now, not really too much of a problem. Where'd you live?

I normally do these sort of things as favours, but at £80 a time! I might start charging!! :lol:

Get an Xbox, get it chipped for £50 and games are then free ..

And then visit www.xbconnect.com and play online for free with broadband ..

the playstations werent chipped were they???

PC power all the way tho!! you could combine a ps2, xbox and cube thing together and the PC would still nacker them!

anyone remeber the PLAYSTATION EMULATOR???

play PS games on ya PC!

shame theres no PS" emulator

you can chip PS2s but it's a lot more costly .. as the chip is a whole new board .. where the Xbox chips are the size of 5p and solder straight in ..

Hi blackcat, isnt your PS2 still under warrenty?

I pre ordered my PS2 from japan n got it the day it was released in the uk,and ive neva had any problems with mine, and like jerry says it gets used 365 days of the year :P so if it was gona play up i would have thought it would have packed up by now. Best place to get your PS2 chipped is at a computer fair, not alot of money... £20 ish i think? Also they sell the silver consoles really cheap there, ive made my dad invest in a silver console from the computer fair as he is always on mine :ph34r:

Good Luck with your Machines black cat :thumbsup:

Roll on GT4 :P

Tom!

Hi fellas :) thanks for the excellent response to this request!!!

Both PS2 are wll out of warranty.

The first PS2 is a ver4 which was prof chipped,this worked excellent until my daughter(9yo) used it to play the Britney dance mat game.The console fell of the table during to the elephant like stampede,not worked since.Made even worse when the repair shop totally goosed it up :angry:

The 2nd PS2 is a 2nd-hand ver3,the laser had gone on it & I gave it in for repairs same time as the other one.After I got them both back this one worked for a week,then it f*****d up!

I read up & swatted-up via the internet.I realised that the laser had not been replaced,just cleaned laser eyes with meths & pots on the back turned up to the max to make it look like new laser been fitted.What a dirty scam :ffs:

Anyway,due to its robust build,I now am leaning towards buying the X-BOX and getting it chipped as I have met a couple of fellas who can get me very good game copies.

I may buy a used X-BOX because it will have to be opened up to be chipped,is this advisable? :rolleyes:

yeah .. get a 2nd hand one .. whacking a chip in kills the warrenty anyhow ..

Get a box with no games and load of hardware (controllers, etc)

xbox all the way!!!!

Used that xboxconnect stuff that bibbs suggested thats well good get to play halo with my mates via the dsl line!!!

Nice one bibbs!!!!