Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amazing Miles Per Gallon - Beat This.

mclocks

I have never done this before, but with the price of oil probably never going down.....

I have a 1.5 TSport Yaris. Petrol.

The last tank, I made a conscious effort to drive economically, (which I may point out doesn't necessarily mean like my Grandads Grandad!). the Yaris has a live MPG update, and also an average one.

It took quite some concentration. The real change I did do, was not to drive over 70mph on a dual carraigeway. normally I was doing 60mph, and this stretch of my daily 16 mile commute is for about 7-8 minutes. This is a change for me because I normally do between 75-80 mph.

The other hints I can give is to always try to judge cars ahead, the idea being that your speed doesn't fluctuate too much. I hardly used the brakes at all. I believe this technique of reading the road way ahead is used in advanced driving techniques. Stopping the car is bad news for MPG ! Try to avoid at all costs.

The other killer is 1st and 2nd gear - get out of it as quickly as possible. Any sort of reasonable pressure on the accelerator became like a sort of torture.

Anyhow I can reveal the results of my little experiment - 48.5 mpg, and well over 300 miles from my little tank. It even beats my mates diesel.

I was really surprised - this is quite significant, and will save me pounds. The challenge is down if anyone wants to try.

-mclocks-

How much did you spend before on fuel & how much would you spend if you carried on driving economically along the same routes etc?

Quentin Wilson said you can save 25% by altering the way you drive & keeping the tyre pressures correct etc, I'd rather rag the balls off my car, spend my time driving with a smile on my face & spend a few quid extra for the privelege but I'd be interested to know how much people actually save by putting economy ahead of fun in the importance stakes

Oh, & welcome to TOC

Is 300miles from a full tank good for a yaris? to be honest i expected more like 400-500 if driven carefully :unsure:

How much is a full tank? 45litres?

Aygo has a 35litre tank and i've had around 550miles from a full tank.

Of course the yaris isnt going to be as economical but i assumed it had a bigger tank than the aygo.

working it out to the tank is a rubbish way to do it, as you can have 10 plus lires in there and not know about it unless you drive till it runs out every time?

you never driven your car til its run out? lol

anyway i never said that was the way to work out your mpg

Anyhow I can reveal the results of my little experiment - 48.5 mpg, and well over 300 miles from my little tank. It even beats my mates diesel.
Not sure what diesel your mate is driving but over on the Citroen C4 owners forum the MPG thread is reading like this...
Hoorah! I got the the average back up to 88.2. Trip & range added comes to 1228 now

The challenge started as getting from Lands End to John O' Groats on 1 tank, it has now become getting 1,000 miles from a tank.

Not sure I have seen any Toyota models getting these kind of figures, or maybe there are?

measuring what you put in works better than the onboard computer for telling you your mpg, My Rav4 is currently averaging around 31.5 MPG calculated by filling it up, counting the miles fill up again and divide litres by miles then times 4.546 to get MPG. The onboard computer is happily reporting 38.4 MPG so about 20% higher.

here are the actual figures for my rav4 2.0 vvti

driving for fun MPG 24.39

careful driving MPG 31.85

weekly miles = 320

fun gallons used 320 / 24.39 = 13.12

careful gallons used 320 / 31.85 = 10.05

Fun litres used = 13.12 * 4.546 = 59.64

careful litres used = 10.05 * 4.546 = 47.73

assuming £1.20 per litre

fun cost per week 59.64 * £1.20 = £71.57

careful cost per week 47.73 * £1.20 = £57.28

weekly saving = £ 14.29

yearly saving =£ 743.08

there it is in cold hard cash. for £743 I can take the family on holiday for a week

I have never done this before, but with the price of oil probably never going down.....

I was really surprised - this is quite significant, and will save me pounds. The challenge is down if anyone wants to try.

-mclocks-

your tank is 45 litres or roughly 10 gallons if you are getting 48.5 MPG a tank should get you 485 miles, I bet the onboard computer is telling porkies :)

On our recent Corfu trip I filled the tank right up to the neck and drove at a constant 70mph for 179 miles on one of the motorways, we stopped for one of the guys to fill up with fuel so I toped off mine up to the neck again and it took exactly 16 litres which works out at 50.86 miles per gallon.

Not bad for an MR2 Roadster :thumbsup:

btw, that will be the first and last time it will ever do that mpg :yes: , If I want to drive in granny mode for a car to save fuel I'll use Anne's Aygo ;)

Les

btw, that will be the first and last time it will ever do that mpg :yes: , If I want to drive in granny mode for a car to save fuel I'll use Anne's Aygo ;)

Les

Yeah but you can rag the hell out of an Aygo and still get 50+mpg!! :lol:

I dont drive like a granny and I really disagree with unsafe suggestions for saving on fuel such as coasting etc. I would pay extra and enjoy the expereince of driving.

Les

I dont drive like a granny and I really disagree with unsafe suggestions for saving on fuel such as coasting etc. I would pay extra and enjoy the expereince of driving.

can you rag a car with these performance fugures?

0-60 mph 13.7 s

Power Output 67 bhp

Torque 93 Nm 68 lb-ft

Top Speed 98 mph

even with thrashing it to death you will not make 3 figures or reach motorway cruising speed in under 15 seconds :lol::lol::lol: (no offence meant btw)

you can still rag, didnt say it was going to beat anything like an MR2 :lol:

Still VERY fun to drive tho ;)

I only get about 45 or less mpg when I drive it :rolleyes:

:lol:

I agree with you there :thumbsup:

*Woops, sorry officer, I didn't mean to run into the back of that car.....I was too busy checking my speedo, making sure I was in the right gear, making sure I didn't brake to much, closing the windows for greater drag coefficient economy......... ;) *

The last tank, I made a conscious effort to drive economically, (which I may point out doesn't necessarily mean like my Grandads Grandad!). the Yaris has a live MPG update, and also an average one.

It took quite some concentration. The real change I did do, was not to drive over 70mph on a dual carraigeway. normally I was doing 60mph, and this stretch of my daily 16 mile commute is for about 7-8 minutes. This is a change for me because I normally do between 75-80 mph.

The other hints I can give is to always try to judge cars ahead, the idea being that your speed doesn't fluctuate too much. I hardly used the brakes at all. I believe this technique of reading the road way ahead is used in advanced driving techniques. Stopping the car is bad news for MPG ! Try to avoid at all costs.

The other killer is 1st and 2nd gear - get out of it as quickly as possible. Any sort of reasonable pressure on the accelerator became like a sort of torture.

-mclocks-

Yes you are right, i am an advanced driver at work and am highly trained in these techniques. If you drive according to what we call the 'system' its easy to drive at speed whilst still achieving quoted or better than quoted mpg figures. By reading the road as far ahead as possible and planning what you are going to do it is possible to drive on the open road without having to brake except for hairpin or very tight bends. i currently drive an Auris T180 which a lot of people are slating for poor fuel economy, many people complaining it wont go above 30 odd mpg, i can easily achieve 50mpg+ whilst still getting from A - B quicker than most people. Its not all about planting your foot and breaking at the last minute!

I get about 12 :)

Yes you are right, i am an advanced driver at work and am highly trained in these techniques. If you drive according to what we call the 'system' its easy to drive at speed whilst still achieving quoted or better than quoted mpg figures. By reading the road as far ahead as possible and planning what you are going to do it is possible to drive on the open road without having to brake except for hairpin or very tight bends. i currently drive an Auris T180 which a lot of people are slating for poor fuel economy, many people complaining it wont go above 30 odd mpg, i can easily achieve 50mpg+ whilst still getting from A - B quicker than most people. Its not all about planting your foot and breaking at the last minute!

I agree :yes:

Reading the road ahead should always be the natural thing to do, for reasons of safety as well as economy :thumbsup:

(If you are only an advanced driver at work does that mean you drive like a maniac the rest of the time? :blink: ........Only kidding ;) :lol: )

Les

I am managing 56 MPG + with mixed town, country and motorway driving when it is driven really hard it drops to 53 MPG :)

the last 4 months Ive been getting 0 MPG

I was trying to work out my mpg in the Hilux, trobble is its in km and my maths is crap.

I reset my trip meter when i last filled up to the neck with veg oil, I have done 450 kilometers and just filled it back up to the exact same point, this took 54.7 litres of veg oil according to my electric filling pump which has a flow meter which seems to messure spot on.

So whats my mpg on veg oil from that? its a 2 ton truck which half of the driving has up to 500KG in the back which wont help, plus i thrash i about every where due to free fuel :) I have always thought it would be 25mpg ?

I really don't care about my mpg as I feel that should the car start to cost me too much to run then it would be time to sell it :rolleyes:

iv got to say my turbo does quite well on about 53 quid of v power will go about 300 miles till its totally empty thats driving carefully on dual carrige ways motorways and town driving

daz

Just a quick note for conversion between MPG and km/litre and variations therein:

1.6 km=1 mile

3.78 litre= 1 gallon

converting MPG to km/L divide by 3.78, multiply by 1.6, or just divide MPG by 2.3625 to convert to km/L.

At the current time I'm doing 11.6 km/L or 27.4 MPG in a 1998 1.8L corolla conquest sedan. Congested city driving, with partial glimpses of free flowing traffic.

Also the onboard computer calculates the milage based on a reading of the tank's remaining petrol, which is not always an accurate reading. The error free way of calculating fuel economy is via your trip meter and the receipt for your next fill up.

By the way does anyone have an idea of how large a tank my car might have? Only recently acquired, and I put about 35-38 L in each filll up but the fuel gauge is pretty inaccurate so I'm not sure how close to empty that is really getting, whether it's a 40,45 or 50 L tank.

3.78 litre= 1 gallon
That is 1 US gallon, in the UK 4.536 litre = 1 gallon. They say to-maaay-toe, we say to-mar-toe.

On our recent Corfu trip I filled the tank right up to the neck and drove at a constant 70mph for 179 miles on one of the motorways, we stopped for one of the guys to fill up with fuel so I toped off mine up to the neck again and it took exactly 16 litres which works out at 50.86 miles per gallon.

Not bad for an MR2 Roadster :thumbsup:

Les

Les,

Slightly off topic but how was the trip to Corfu. Did you get the Ferry from Venice? My dad has been building a house in Corfu over the past few years, i myself have been there many times, not done the drive down yet. I fancy taking my Elise for the trip, not a cheap way to get down there these days though.

D