Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Won't Start,battery Dead?

Aurora terry

Hi , My mother is from florida , and has had this 94 carolla for 4 or 5 years . ever since she bought the thing she has had trouble with the Battery going dead , when She doesn't drive the car every day the starter won't crank and she needs a jumper to start . the strange thing is that once the car starts it can be shut off and re-started immediatly . She has changed batteries 5 or 6 times had the alternator replaced ,and new contacts put in the starter . The cables are tight and clean . she's 86 and doesn't need these worries , any help would be appreciated . Thanks Terry

hi,

had the similar problem with an old civic of mine and it ended up being the distributor.....

Shaz

yeh, prob a problem with the distributor. but u may also want to get a cylinder cleaner, as if u have carbon buildup in ur cylinder itll start to glow red after a while and itll cause the car to run on even without power....

Can't be the distributor , the problem is in the cranking not the running, car runs fine when it turns enough to start. the car only has 40,000 miles on it. I was hoping someone had a similar problem , There was a service buletin on all data .com about a possible short in the electrical system on 94's but it wasn't detailed enough.

check the earth lead to the cars body, sometimes this causes bad starting and inconsistent charging of the Battery :hokus-pokus:

Check you don't need a new Air Filter, might be too dirty to allow enough air into fuel mix to start car. Failing that change the spark plugs, could also be dirty/worn. If it sounds like its turning over but not getting enough power to start car, it might not be the Battery but the fuel...

Sorry , but the problem is that the engine won't crank , if it turns ,it starts right up, even took it to the dealer and they cant find problem, Terry

see if any lights are left on ,interior lights, the boot/trunk light is the most common cos in some corollas the boot light can be switched on to stay on even when the door is closed and can discharge the Battery , but as has been said a faulty earth lead can cause the Battery to go dead .

Something is obviously causing a draw. With the engine off, disconnect the negative Battery terminal, use a test light and connect one end to the Battery, the other to the terminal you took off the Battery. The light should not be on, itf it is, while keeping the light connected, bump the terminal to the battery for 5 seconds, once resepperated, does the light come right back on? If so there is a draw for sure. While keeping the light connected and the bulb lit, unplug the alternator, there is a charge relay on that car that could be stuck causing even a new alternator to draw, if that doesn't turn the light off start unplug/replugging fuses and minor items till you find it.

Last thing, I know you said alternator was replaced, was it tested ON THE CAR for maximum output? If not get this done.

Good luck.

I'm having a similar problem with my Corolla. Only my Battery doesn't go dead on me. The alternator is new and has been tested on the car. It just won't engage sometimes when I try to start it. No clicking of a dead Battery, just doesn't turn over. Could it be the starter? And if so, do I have to replace the whole unit or just the solenoid?