Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Gearbox

king billy

Recently purchased rav d4d 22 sept 2006

direct from toyotas own fleet. I find 1st 2nd and even 3rd catchy and needs to be engaged slowly as if synchromesh was badly worn.

had my local sales manager check it and he said it was quite normal.

I am a time served diesel mechanic but know nothing of toyotas .

Any views

I test drove an XT5 the other week that went into 5th fine but every now and again it crunched. Got them to check it out and it was the synchromesh. They believe it was due to someone leaning on the gear stick whilst in fifth,

D

EDIT

that was a 55reg by the way, 2.0L Petrol

The 5th dropping out is common as folk lean on the stick - its also easy to replace.

Far as the rest - with my 94 I don't have a problem after 14 years of use.

I do find it difficult to find 5th on the Punto; and finding a gear on the landrover is a distinct novelty.

No probs geting the gears on the Renault. Maybe its just down to the way folk drive or maybe its aproblem.

direct from toyotas own fleet. I find 1st 2nd and even 3rd catchy and needs to be engaged slowly as if synchromesh was badly worn.

Any views

King Billy, I have a 2007 diesel XTR. Moving up the gearox from first to second is very notchy, a quick change could even promote a pre synchro crashing.

I find the best solution is to put more left direction pressure on the gear lever, and ease it in second. I have no problems elsewhere in the box. Was talking with another owner last week, who had exactly the same features.

Any views

We,ve debated this many times billy

The 6 speed box is quite a complex twin countershaft design which has 1st to 4th on one shaft and 5th, 6th and reverse on the other.

The tolerances are intentionally slack to stop the shafts binding up on each other and as a result they are very notchy in some cases and others are like a hot knife through butter. Try another one just to quantify what you are dealing with as it may not be too late to swap. However, if it is just notchy then it is probably OK and they do seem to mellow after the first oil change which yours must be due.

If you want detaied descriptions of the box to satisfy your mechanical mind, pm me with your email address and I will send you some.

Regards

Any views

The 6 speed box is quite a complex twin countershaft design which has 1st to 4th on one shaft and 5th, 6th and reverse on the other.

The tolerances are intentionally slack to stop the shafts binding up on each other and as a result they are very notchy in some cases and others are like a hot knife through butter. Try another one just to quantify what you are dealing with as it may not be too late to swap. However, if it is just notchy then it is probably OK and they do seem to mellow after the first oil change which yours must be due.

If you want detaied descriptions of the box to satisfy your mechanical mind, pm me with your email address and I will send you some.

Regards

Hm... :unsure:

I find that when going up gears 1 - 3 that I do get a crunching at times.... I'm sure clutch is pressed flat to the ground... Just thought at first that this is just the way our Ravs are...

When I got Big Red I did notice that at times when going from nutural to 1st there was a kinda cluncking sound from the rear of me Rav... when I mentioned it to the dealer they could not find owt wrong and could not get this to happen...

Further to this I did post a while back that when I press the clutch down and place me Rav into Reverse that the gear doesnt get selected and that I have to start it over... nothing was said about it if I recall...

Perhaps this syncro mesh thingy could be a cause of what I am experiencing? I am sure Anchorman our ressy Guru might shed some light on this...?

regards

Rob

B)

Any views

they do seem to mellow after the first oil change which yours must be due.

Regards

Just a note on gear oil, the 6 speed boxes should have 75w oil and NOT 75/90 as is the case with most other models

Kingo :thumbsup:

I find that when going up gears 1 - 3 that I do get a crunching at times.... I'm sure clutch is pressed flat to the ground... Just thought at first that this is just the way our Ravs are...

When I got Big Red I did notice that at times when going from nutural to 1st there was a kinda cluncking sound from the rear of me Rav... when I mentioned it to the dealer they could not find owt wrong and could not get this to happen...

Further to this I did post a while back that when I press the clutch down and place me Rav into Reverse that the gear doesnt get selected and that I have to start it over... nothing was said about it if I recall...

Perhaps this syncro mesh thingy could be a cause of what I am experiencing? I am sure Anchorman our ressy Guru might shed some light on this...?

regards

Rob

B)

Your 5 speed is a bit more conventional Rob. This is a 5 speed;

5speed.jpg

and this is the rather more complicated 6 speed;

6speed.jpg

You can see 2 countershafts in the 6 speed and only one in the 5 speed - very nice and straight forward.

The symptoms you describe are probably clutch related. In trying to get 1st from neutral the box is still turning and it picks up on the drive line which causes it to take up all the backlash ending up in the clunk all the way at the back where it can't turn any more without driving the wheels. I can't just see if reverse has a synchro on the 5 speed but from memory it does and it is this which is causing the baulking when you try to get reverse - it just goes tooth on tooth and won't quite engage until you have another stab at it.

The 5 speed is also a bit notchy but not like some 6 speeds. If you are having difficulty I might be tempted to have another word with your dealer as some clutches have been changed under warranty due to "a fault". Another cause of it not clearing is traces of oil on the clutch which causes them to stick together instead of clear (it keeps turning with the clutch pedal pressed). Try to get a drive of another petrol if the dealer will let you.

If you don't get anywhere don't worry too much. Although it feels crude, they will live like that for years. It would just be nicer to have it 100% correct.

Cheers

The 5th dropping out is common as folk lean on the stick - its also easy to replace.

Far as the rest - with my 94 I don't have a problem after 14 years of use.

I do find it difficult to find 5th on the Punto; and finding a gear on the landrover is a distinct novelty.

No probs geting the gears on the Renault. Maybe its just down to the way folk drive or maybe its aproblem.

Hi Bothy,

I ran Land Rovers for 20 years and I swear that I never got the same gear twice - but they did keep going and going and going and going...........

In all that time the only real problem was a stripped input spline on the Fairy Overdrive unit. Always reckoned that the total loss lubrication system was the best underbody protection going - forget Waxoyl!

Best regards

Chris

TOP advice as per usual Anchorman.... :toast: Cheers... :cheers:

I'm taking Big Red to MR T on Friday to get the mirrors looked at and I think at the same time I will mention the gears/clutch bit to them again and see what they say... :argue:

I think they will want Big Red for a day - just hope they can supply me with another Rav4 ;) as I need the space... and nowt else - except a LC would do the job....

Again

Cheers ;)

Rob

B)

regards

Rob

B)

Your 5 speed is a bit more conventional Rob. This is a 5 speed;

5speed.jpg

and this is the rather more complicated 6 speed;

6speed.jpg

You can see 2 countershafts in the 6 speed and only one in the 5 speed - very nice and straight forward.

The symptoms you describe are probably clutch related. In trying to get 1st from neutral the box is still turning and it picks up on the drive line which causes it to take up all the backlash ending up in the clunk all the way at the back where it can't turn any more without driving the wheels. I can't just see if reverse has a synchro on the 5 speed but from memory it does and it is this which is causing the baulking when you try to get reverse - it just goes tooth on tooth and won't quite engage until you have another stab at it.

The 5 speed is also a bit notchy but not like some 6 speeds. If you are having difficulty I might be tempted to have another word with your dealer as some clutches have been changed under warranty due to "a fault". Another cause of it not clearing is traces of oil on the clutch which causes them to stick together instead of clear (it keeps turning with the clutch pedal pressed). Try to get a drive of another petrol if the dealer will let you.

If you don't get anywhere don't worry too much. Although it feels crude, they will live like that for years. It would just be nicer to have it 100% correct.

Cheers

Dear anchorman,

thank you for your expertise, I have grown used to the slow engagement of low gear shift, As there is only 12750 miles on the clock

I was a little concerned but knowing this seems to be quite common I feel happier, Pity though as Ijust love the car, I shall be towing my caravan

around Cumbria and the borders come July 3rd and the Rav4 just loves the work.

Best regards

Billy.

Dear anchorman,

thank you for your expertise, I have grown used to the slow engagement of low gear shift, As there is only 12750 miles on the clock

I was a little concerned but knowing this seems to be quite common I feel happier, Pity though as Ijust love the car, I shall be towing my caravan

Best regards

Billy.

No probs Billy

You can make it a bit smoother by taking your time shifting in those lower gears. It just gives the synchros a bit more time to do their job.

Rob

I nearly bust a gut when I saw the "mention it again" smarticons. Not seen them before but very appropriate!

• 3 weeks later...
Dear anchorman,

Best regards

Billy.

No probs Billy

You can make it a bit smoother by taking your time shifting in those lower gears. It just gives the synchros a bit more time to do their job.

Rob

I nearly bust a gut when I saw the "mention it again" smarticons. Not seen them before but very appropriate!

I've recently bought a Rav4 XT3 D4D on a 56 plate. I've been having difficulty in getting a smooth change when going up from first to second - all other changes fine. Whilst I'm reassured that this seems to be a common Rav issue and nothing to be concerned about, I wanted to ask about the clutch release bearing. My car has only done 12,000 miles, yet the rattling noise you get in neutral until you push the clutch in (when it disappears) can be quite loud sometimes. In previous cars this has been the clutch release bearing - irritating but not a major issue. I'm just surprised that it is happening at this low mileage.

Is this something I should be worried about (and asking to be fixed under warrenty)? - or is it a common Rav issue like the notchy gearchange in some lower gears?

Greatful for opinions on this as this is my first Toyota. Also, am I right in there is no Haynes manual yet for this model?

Cheers

I've recently bought a Rav4 XT3 D4D on a 56 plate. I've been having difficulty in getting a smooth change when going up from first to second - all other changes fine. Whilst I'm reassured that this seems to be a common Rav issue and nothing to be concerned about, I wanted to ask about the clutch release bearing. My car has only done 12,000 miles, yet the rattling noise you get in neutral until you push the clutch in (when it disappears) can be quite loud sometimes. In previous cars this has been the clutch release bearing - irritating but not a major issue. I'm just surprised that it is happening at this low mileage.

Is this something I should be worried about (and asking to be fixed under warrenty)? - or is it a common Rav issue like the notchy gearchange in some lower gears?

Greatful for opinions on this as this is my first Toyota. Also, am I right in there is no Haynes manual yet for this model?

Cheers

I have exactly the same problem on my 07 XTR diesel moving up from first to second. I do manage to overcome it by putting heavy left pressure on the lever (within reason) when making the change. Double de Clutch technique also works, but we should not really be having to do this !! My car has also done 12k, but no neutral rattling YET. Good luck

The box is a twin countershaft design and when idling there is a lot of backlash in the gears. It isn't the clutch or the release bearing it is the gears (which are in constant mesh with each other) just rattling back and forth under no load. All the backlash is removed when driving and the noise when idling is nothing to be alarmed about.

There is a common problem with notchy gearboxes and some are worse than others. I rejected my first new RAV for that reason and the one I have now is OK but not perfect. I drove Local hero's and I would say that is as near to perfect as I have come accross so this demonstartes the cross section. If yours is very bad you might be able to talk your dealer into a new box or synchros but you will have to dig in and be firm and do it now as your argument might take you towards the warranty running out.

Good luck

The box is a twin countershaft design and when idling there is a lot of backlash in the gears. It isn't the clutch or the release bearing it is the gears (which are in constant mesh with each other) just rattling back and forth under no load. All the backlash is removed when driving and the noise when idling is nothing to be alarmed about.

There is a common problem with notchy gearboxes and some are worse than others. I rejected my first new RAV for that reason and the one I have now is OK but not perfect. I drove Local hero's and I would say that is as near to perfect as I have come accross so this demonstartes the cross section. If yours is very bad you might be able to talk your dealer into a new box or synchros but you will have to dig in and be firm and do it now as your argument might take you towards the warranty running out.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply - put my mind at rest, really pleased with everything else about the Rav.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links