Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Tyre Wear On Yaris

piedfly

Hi,

Anyone out there experinced rapid front tyre wear on their Yaris ?? (Yokohama tyres fitted as standard).

Mine are worn on outer edges after only 10,000 miles! I covered over 24,000 miles on my front tyres on my previous Corolla.

Thanks for any info.

I would recommend getting your tracking checked. It may have been kerbed in earlier life.

Yeah sounds like tracking............

Get it checked and try to avoud kerbing it!..........be aware too that if the outer circumference and/or the central 3/4 of the breadth of the tyre is below 1.6mm the tyre is illegal.......so if if they are change 'em ok

I use my TS for driving tuition and still get 25,000ish out of the front tyres and they are only budget ones.......just incase they get kerbed and damaged.

Hope the tracking does the job :thumbsup:

Hi,

Anyone out there experinced rapid front tyre wear on their Yaris ?? (Yokohama tyres fitted as standard).

Mine are worn on outer edges after only 10,000 miles! I covered over 24,000 miles on my front tyres on my previous Corolla.

Thanks for any info.

Clive 29 June 2008

Hi,

Can't say specifically about Yaris but I had exactly the same problem on my Auris, also fitted with Yokohama tyres. Had steering checked and no problem found. Toyota weren't interested and Yokohama would only respond if I sent them the tyres for inspection. Spoke to a good tyre dealer and he confirmed Yokohama's are very soft but good grip tyres. He recommended harder compound tyre for longer wear and I fitted Dunlop's. Also slightly increased tyre pressure on front tyres by 2lb p.s.i. and have so far covered 5000 miles with very little wear, with a firmer ride being the only slight disadvantage.

Hope this helps

yes clive i can believe this........on a car with PAS you will always experience wear on the outside of the tyre .....its what they do, so a harder compound could be helpful.........but i would imagine that a soft tyre would wear considerably all over too. How were your yokohamas over the rest of the width?

Thanks for the replies.

The tread on the rest of the front tyres is fine..about 4mm.

I too had a chat with a tyre fitter & without saying what my problem was concerning my Yokohama's, he said that they, (Yokohama's) have a softer compound on the outer edge & therefore wear quite quickly! Yokohama UK have offered to inspect the tyres, when I replace them....we will see then if there is a problem with the tyre construction.

On the subject of tracking, my local Toyota dealer said they tested the tracking at the recent service & found no problem.

I certainly haven't driven over any kerbs since I bought the car 'new' just under a year ago, so I didn't expect the tracking to be out.

My tyres on my previous car (Corolla) by the way, were Dunlops & as I stated earlier gave me 24,154 trouble free miles on the front pair!

• 1 month later...

very light power steering and soft Yoky and Bridgestone tyres all make for lovely driving and handling BUT the downside is tyre wear. Mrs Kingo had 2 new tyres at 9K, replaced them with Firestones and had no problems since. Missus Kingo even managed to blame ME for the excess tyre wear.......WTF is that all about, I never drive it :lol: Of course it was my fault, silly me :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

To the original poster - are you an enthusiastic driver? It easy to wear soft tyres down on the outside edge by some 'keen' cornering. 10K is normal to me but I do favour Bridgestone potenzas.

Kingo - what do you recommed for my next set? I'll never buy budget and am not necessarily looking at anything cheaper than potenzas for my t-sport, but I'd appreciate a slightly longer tyre life, say 15K miles? Who offers a good balance of grip and longevity?!

Chris81

There are so many tyre choices now it is almost mind blowing. I am no tyre expert but Michelin's have always done it for me for their long life, Michelin Pilot Primacy is a high mileage tyre, but many think Toyo's have the edge on T S models

I have had michelin pilot primacy's on my Corolla, still have one original tyre that has covered over 40,000 miles! (motorway mainly though)

The others lasted to about 30,000 miles but one got a puncture whilst at Mr T for a service which they replaced FOC!

now if only they could puncture my other one :lol:

hej king

i want to aske if u havr bullbat toyota rav of if u can find one 4 me stok or anythn u know the part number itspz415 X0950-00 plzzz

thnxxxxxxxxxx

cankerkuk76@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
I also had about 8000 miles out of the tyres.Had to buy new ones last week and aint had the car longer than 10 months :S

Blimey.... I would hope for a min of 20,00 on any car tyre!

If you really are wearing them out that fast, regular wheel rotation is an absolute MUST!

If they are directional, swap front to rear, if they are omni-directional, swap front right for rear left, etc. Do it regular and get the most amount of wear from each tyre!

are your tyres checked over during a service interms of them being legal or is it just during its MOT (presume they check during an MOT?) dont think ive ever had new tyres fitted in my previous cars (both sold at around 30K miles

• 6 months later...
very light power steering and soft Yoky and Bridgestone tyres all make for lovely driving and handling BUT the downside is tyre wear. Mrs Kingo had 2 new tyres at 9K, replaced them with Firestones and had no problems since. Missus Kingo even managed to blame ME for the excess tyre wear.......WTF is that all about, I never drive it :lol: Of course it was my fault, silly me :rolleyes:

This is what got me into the forum in the first place. The wear on the front tyres of my wife's car has been pretty dire, and I doubt she's ever been above 50 mph in her 1.3 Yaris.

Agree with part of this - Yokohama tyres do wear very quickly, on my wife's 1.3 they are pretty much trashed at 6.5k miles and it's all down to the over-assisted set up that most seem to favour in the UK these days but "lovely driving and handling" - you really need to get out more and preferably behind the wheel of a car that really does handle. The Yaris is set up for safe understeer and is pretty much in the middle of the supermini pack as far as ride and handling go.

This is what got me into the forum in the first place. The wear on the front tyres of my wife's car has been pretty dire, and I doubt she's ever been above 50 mph in her 1.3 Yaris.

Agree with part of this - Yokohama tyres do wear very quickly, on my wife's 1.3 they are pretty much trashed at 6.5k miles and it's all down to the over-assisted set up that most seem to favour in the UK these days but "lovely driving and handling" - you really need to get out more and preferably behind the wheel of a car that really does handle. The Yaris is set up for safe understeer and is pretty much in the middle of the supermini pack as far as ride and handling go.

Tyres lasting 6.5k on a car that never does over 50mph??!!, over assisted set up?, set up for safe understeer?

Again, i really don't understand you post. :huh:

If my Yaris only did 6.5k on it's front tyres i would be quite upset!! Sounds like your tracking is out or your wife is a really bad driver!!

My Yaris is on Goodyears: approx 1/3rd worn after 12k miles. I expect to see 30k miles.. I do not hang around and drive fast when out of town.

When in town I do NOT turn the steering wheel when stationary: that will ruin tyres around the outer edge - especially soft tyres.

Hence 7k miles from a set never driven over 50mph. Rather like filing the tread down on the road.

If parking always turn the wheels with some motion - even a little - as it reduces tyre and steering loads quite significantly.

( I was brought up on non PAS cars and know how heavy steering is when parked. I have the biceps to prove it :-)

My Yaris is on Goodyears: approx 1/3rd worn after 12k miles. I expect to see 30k miles.. I do not hang around and drive fast when out of town.

When in town I do NOT turn the steering wheel when stationary: that will ruin tyres around the outer edge - especially soft tyres.

Hence 7k miles from a set never driven over 50mph. Rather like filing the tread down on the road.

If parking always turn the wheels with some motion - even a little - as it reduces tyre and steering loads quite significantly.

( I was brought up on non PAS cars and know how heavy steering is when parked. I have the biceps to prove it :-)

I once had an old mk2 golf with no power steering, 17"wheels on aswell. To say it was difficult to park would be an understatement!! :lol:

Tyres lasting 6.5k on a car that never does over 50mph??!!, over assisted set up?, set up for safe understeer?

Again, i really don't understand you post. :huh:

If my Yaris only did 6.5k on it's front tyres i would be quite upset!! Sounds like your tracking is out or your wife is a really bad driver!!

It's been back to Toyota more times than I can count about all sorts of things, one of them being the way the tyres wear. My wife is not a bad driver, in past cars (albeit quality and larger barges) she's tended to get more from a set of tyres than I do (typically 18-20k from fronts).

The rest of your post I don't understand - modern cars, especially small front drive ones are set up so that they are "safe understeerers", to the generations brought up almost exclusively on front drive cars it's now the norm. Similarly, in recent years we have tended towards lighter and lighter steering (losing "feel" all the time), the Yaris is pretty much in that bunch, overlight and over-assisted compared to what it really needs. It makes cars easy to park and nippy around town but with feel-less and lifeless steering elsewhere. As most Yari do less than 5k miles a year and seldom venture out of town it's a marketing-driven decision by Toyota.

As most Yari do less than 5k miles a year and seldom venture out of town it's a marketing-driven decision by Toyota.

What a load of TOSH!! :rolleyes:

I think that you will find that most of the Yaris drivers on here do well over 5k miles in a year..........................I do approx 14k and that is nearer the average mileage.

BTW I got well over 16K from my original "Bridgestone" front tyres

Get the information from VOSA, most Yaris have less than 19k on them when first MOT'd

i only got 8000 miles out of mine and the were sliks

But are you one of the more-than-5g-acceleration brigade otherwise known as the foot to the floor brigade?

The type of driving will have an enormous effect on tyre wear, particularly with the front. However wrongly tracked tyres will have a greater effect.

• 1 year later...

Just replaced fronts from new on my TR 1.3 after 13k and told by garage that this was not bad at all as they have replaced fronts from as low as 10k. I am a town driver averaging 19mpg but getting over 45 mpg and dont have a heavy right foot. There is no tracking problem as I had this checked out so is there a design prob?

Appreciate comments

They might say there is no tracking problem but have you inspected your old tyres closely? You can get a depth gauge for a couple of quid. In my experience they seem to run off on the inner edges of the front tyres, despite garages saying the tracking is fine.

On a side note, every time I replace my front tyres I have to get the tracking adjusted (even though it was fine before) because as soon as new tyres go on, the steering wheel isn't straight ahead when driving straight ahead, if that makes sense.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links