Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3sge Beams

CentralCaliCamryCrew

dont know but it wont be cheap as i think theyre only fitted to JDM altezza's (IS200). try fensport or jap spares

i have a red top FWD 3SGE BEAMS in my car .. got it for less than 1000euros .. but thats coz i am in malaysia .. and that price was over 2 years ago .. i got it used at 38000km .. from a st202 body ..

some magazines claimed 200ps for this engine .. when i got it dyno-ed .. it came as 169hp .. thats after installing air filter kits and exhausts system .. power went up to 187hp after i installed a SFAC .. 0-100kmh around the 7 sec mark ..

the other 3SGE BEAMS for the altezza is a little different coz it comes with twin vvti .. and its a RWD of coz .. claims for this engine is 210ps ..

Bit of random info :)

4th gen JDM 3SGE ~ 200hp, 21.0kg-m of torque. (beams.....MR2 has the red head, Altezza the black head) There was only ever 1000 MR2 beams motors made.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

it appears like a stock 3sge with either single VVTi (red top) or dual VVTi (black top).

Read tops were in the Rev5 NA Jap MR2's, Black tops were in the Altezza.

The engine mounts are different though, so a black top will not slide into an MR2 - But the heads (with the VVTi gubbings) might fit on a stock MR2 block.

• 2 weeks later...

so if i found a new gen 3sge engine with the red top, I could get that sucker be able to fit in my second gen mr2?

Sorry, am new to cars :D

i have one of these engines in my gt caldina its a black top i was surprised and disappointed to see it does not go as fast as i thought sluggish i think its because its auto a bit thirsty on the gas as well. two things very disappointing to me :crybaby: but besides this its a great car can anyone tell me 2 buttons next to the shifter 1 ect-pwr and ect-maul mean? i spose ect-pwr means power.

so if i found a new gen 3sge engine with the red top, I could get that sucker be able to fit in my second gen mr2?

Sorry, am new to cars :D

Yep u can m8. I suggest heading on over to

Rogue Systems

They can provide u with the engine, and do the fitting etc.

-Z

• 3 weeks later...

allan101, you say you find a beams vvti engine in 1000euros? Can you help me to find one for me? It's hard to find in HK and Japan! most of us can find a ST-202 3SGE engine! Thanks a lot!

allan101, you say you find a beams vvti engine in 1000euros? Can you help me to find one for me? It's hard to find in HK and Japan! most of us can find a ST-202 3SGE engine! Thanks a lot!

well ... 1000euros was 2 years ago .. and i found it by chance and the fella selling it didnt know what potential this engine had .. i have other frens in malaysia looking for it as well now .. very rare item ...

but heres a pic of the engine sitting in my car .. :D

post-3-1077008541.jpg

I got my 3S-GE beams from maleysia, I bought altezza frontcut and it sure was more than 1000euros :) . Now that engine and transmission are in -72 carina. I´m looking for ecu pin out diagram, any ideas where to get one?

The 3SGE VVTI red top was fitted into the 1998 on Rev 5 MR2, 200ps or 197 bhp roughly..supposed to be a very rapid car, i have a redtop 3sge fitted into my rev 2 mr2, cant tell you the performance yet as its still not fitted. But It has a full titanium exhaust custom built and apexi induction kit, blitz plugs, toda flywheel, and fully stripped out near enough. The engine is used in the Japanese Formula 3000 series and is good for 300bhp. Very compitent engine, so im worried to hear some people are getting figures of 169bhp, you would be getting that if the vvti wasnt kicking in?!

Gav

dear zardoz .. that big air filter u see does make a BIG DIFFERENCE .. recently i replaced that big open pod to a smaller one due to the big pod being too loud .. felt that the power drop was significant .. planning to go 4TB way if enough space in my engine bay in the future for even more air .. :D

dear D3S .. that engine that u are getting from a former F3000 jap car or a stock engine with mods ?? with the mods u mentioned .. u may get maybe another 5~10 hp .. depending on your setup and tuning .. u will definitely know it if your vvti wasnt working coz i accidentally disconnected my vvti sensor one day and the car was sluggish .. especially on the lower RPMs ..

FYI .. 3S engines are known to produce even more than 500hp .. the supras in the jap GT races uses them instead of the 2JZ engines .. ever wonder why ?? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Look at www.fensport.co.uk

Here is a pic. of my carina 2.0 GTI with the genIII 3s-ge engine

with 175 bhp

post-3-1079345856.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
i have one of these engines in my gt caldina its a black top i was surprised and disappointed to see it does not go as fast as i thought sluggish i think its because its auto a bit thirsty on the gas as well. two things very disappointing to me :crybaby: but besides this its a great car can anyone tell me 2 buttons next to the shifter 1 ect-pwr and ect-maul mean? i spose ect-pwr means power.

your ect-pwr, my camry has it... with it saying pwr, your car goes faster, with it off you conserve gas

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
it appears like a stock 3sge with either single VVTi (red top) or dual VVTi (black top).

Read tops were in the Rev5 NA Jap MR2's, Black tops were in the Altezza.

The engine mounts are different though, so a black top will not slide into an MR2 - But the heads (with the VVTi gubbings) might fit on a stock MR2 block.

dont for get silver top, single vvti, in the celica ss II , same as the jdm 98 up mr2 g-limit..............and there were in other jdm cars too,... but i dont know which?.....

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

it does mount up,... if you remeber the mr2 mounts are mainly on the tranny, 3 of 4,.. soo if the block bolts up to the tranny then it should be fine,....... and i know i drop the altezza motor into my mr2 with parts off the red top and now im working on the harness,.... thats the hard part,.... the blocks are the same,... its just that its an aluminum block now,......... but definitely different head with vvti,....................

but any one know harness work for the altezza 3sge dual vvti? diagrams,.... any thing with wiring,...?????

• 3 months later...
i have a red top FWD 3SGE BEAMS in my car .. got it for less than 1000euros .. but thats coz i am in malaysia .. and that price was over 2 years ago .. i got it used at 38000km .. from a st202 body ..

some magazines claimed 200ps for this engine .. when i got it dyno-ed .. it came as 169hp .. thats after installing air filter kits and exhausts system .. power went up to 187hp after i installed a SFAC .. 0-100kmh around the 7 sec mark ..

the other 3SGE BEAMS for the altezza is a little different coz it comes with twin vvti .. and its a RWD of coz .. claims for this engine is 210ps ..

Hey Guys,

I have a project MR2 which I am about to put a Beams Black Top into. I dont anticipate any problems as I will be using the mounts from the existing 3S-GE.

Does anyone have a power/torque graph of the beams black top? Been looking everywhere.

Alan101, sorry for sounding daft but what is SFAC? I am having problems finding any after market parts for the beams engine to increase power. Can you guide me to where you got youre gear?

• 2 months later...

hey guys!

wanna put the red top beams 3s-ge into my old(89th year of built) st183 celica,

but it's not so easy to find this engine, even i japan:( some guys told me, that we can't find it in Japan! ;( so if someone can help to find the red top engine from st202 FWD celica (ssII or SSIII), on auctions or so on, pls send some info onto: climber[DOGGY]mail_dot_ru,

HI to all from Russia!

sorry for bad english

• 1 month later...

allan101,

may i know which part of u in MY?! i would like to see the red motor u drop in ur car... im currently is looking for 1 of the red motor for my current car... and also looking for 1977 celica... anyone in MY can help?!

cheers...

Hey Guys,

I have a project MR2 which I am about to put a Beams Black Top into. I dont anticipate any problems as I will be using the mounts from the existing 3S-GE.

Does anyone have a power/torque graph of the beams black top? Been looking everywhere.

Alan101, sorry for sounding daft but what is SFAC? I am having problems finding any after market parts for the beams engine to increase power. Can you guide me to where you got youre gear?

sorry ... typo on my part ... its SAFC ... not SFAC .. hehehehehee .. APEXi super air flow converter ... all it does is just change the AFR ... anyways ... bad news for SAFC users with OBD1 or OBD2 ECUs ... the ECUs are too smart ... after initial adjustments with SAFC ... the ECU relearns and then reconfigures the fuel map in the ECU ... so SAFC quite ineffective for those with these ECUs ... OBD1 and OBD2 are vvt and vvti onwards for toyota ...

how much would an 99 altezaa be worth if it had a beams engine in it?

ones up for sale near me and wondering on the price.