Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Check Condtion Of Brake Pads Yourself ?

toyato

Unfortunately my local Toyota garage appears not be very good at telling me on time to replace brake pads. This has already resulted twice in the brake discs having to be replaced as well, obviously costing a lot more money. Discs should last a lot longer if the pads are changed on time, right ?

So, either they really don't seem to notice that they are nearly gone in the visual inspection or they just try to sell/fit as much brake disc as possible and hence do not tell me when the pads are nearly gone so it will wear the discs quicker.

Now my question is: is it possible to check the condition of the brake pads of my 02 reg avensis myself ?

I do not have the possibility to look under the car really.

Sorry if you feel a bit put out by this. Yes, if you bring your car to Toyota for it's servicing requirements you will be informed if your pads or discs are worn to the point of replacing. Problem is you don't have to change dics every time you change pads ? Most discs have a marking around edge of disc stating minimum thickness for disc. You may feel hard done by, but I know of Toyota owners who may go through 2 to 3 sets of pads before discs need renewal.

It's quite straight forward to check your pads, especially if you have alloy wheels. When your down to around 2 to 3mm due to pad not having the mass of material to disperse heat properly you should be looking to change your pads, if you have large lip on rim of disc then your close enough to change discs if tiny lip leave well alone.

You should make it part of your weekly car check, when you check your tyre pressures, oil. lights & water. If you feel hard done by Toyota insist any parts they change on your car are bagged & placed in your boot, they are your property after all.

Apoligies again, but a bit of DIY will save you a stack of money. Mintex, Bosch & Lucas all make superb pads much much cheaper than Toyota & you can bet your bottom dollar Toyota do not make pads in house they are purchased from above companies. I'll stand corrected if someone on the forum know's otherwise.

Also, Toyota technicians will tend to be particularly cautious when estimating the amount of wear left on a pad/disc.

They may suggest that there "wont be sufficient wear to last until the next service. etc." When the amount left equates to 25K miles. They are in business to generate business.

I remember years ago my brother went into Quickfit for one tyre. He left with a full set and four new shock absorbers.

Dealerships are not immune to this sort of business practice.

Problem is you don't have to change dics every time you change pads ? Most discs have a marking around edge of disc stating minimum thickness for disc. You may feel hard done by, but I know of Toyota owners who may go through 2 to 3 sets of pads before discs need renewal.

Exactly, I know disc should take a lot longer to wear down, but not if you garage tells you all is fine (not even, replace before next service as was suggested on here) then it will be metal to metal at same stage and discs wear a lot quicker.

How/where exactly do you check your pads if the car is parked on a 'normal parking space'; in other words, I can not get underneath it !

Exactly, I know disc should take a lot longer to wear down, but not if you garage tells you all is fine (not even, replace before next service as was suggested on here) then it will be metal to metal at same stage and discs wear a lot quicker.

How/where exactly do you check your pads if the car is parked on a 'normal parking space'; in other words, I can not get underneath it !

There should normally be no need to get underneath the car, but unless you have some fancy large alloy wheels (with good view of the brake calipers) I believe that you have to remove the wheels. This is one way to do it (for left front wheel):

1. Turn the steering wheel to "the right" (Not necessary but simplifies inspection)

2. loosen bolts slightly on left wheel

3. jack up the the left wheel and remove it

4. Now, as you have "turned right" it should be quite straight forward to check the conditions, you should see the brake pads inside the caliper. According to Haynes they specify:

front(rear disc)

Minimum disc thickness 23.0 (9.0)mm

Maximum disc run-out (disc fitted) 0.05 (0.15) mm (I believe this is difficult to measure without proper tools)

Minimum brake pad thickness 2.0 (1.0) mm

If you have drums instead of discs back then they are more complicated to inspect as you need to remove the drum - which could take some time if it is stucked.

Unfortunately my local Toyota garage appears not be very good at telling me on time to replace brake pads. This has already resulted twice in the brake discs having to be replaced as well, obviously costing a lot more money. Discs should last a lot longer if the pads are changed on time, right ?

So, either they really don't seem to notice that they are nearly gone in the visual inspection or they just try to sell/fit as much brake disc as possible and hence do not tell me when the pads are nearly gone so it will wear the discs quicker.

Now my question is: is it possible to check the condition of the brake pads of my 02 reg avensis myself ?

I do not have the possibility to look under the car really.

hello

there are two ways as follows:

- visually when the respective wheel is removed (steel disc);

- check with brake syst liquid tank -- it has two levels marks as MAX and LOW -- the idea is that when level is on LOW it means the pads are about to be changed (it is in case all the braking system is leakproof).

cheers/Igor