Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Bigger Alloys Cause Me Problems With My Celica?

paulmurray33

Hi all

May sound like a silly question but i have the standard alloys on my 140bhp Gen 7 Celica and am looking to upgrade to 18" Wolfrace Asia-Tec Toyama Blacks - but recently one of the guys at the local Toyota garage warned me off saying that petrol consumption will be cr*p and that it can affect how well ABS works...Is any of this true?

Thanks

Paul

I'd go with 17's, particularly because of how much you'll save on tyres. If you got 18's, with lower profile tyres (to keep the rolling radius the same), I don't see how it'd effect fuel consumption unless the sheer weight of the wheels was particularly high. The only way it could effect ABS is if you fitted tyres that increased the overal rolling radius.

The main problem with 18's is that you'd be getting down to a very low profile tyre. That means potentially more road noise, harsher handling (i.e. less tyre wall to absorb shock) and also alloys that are easier to buckle due to having less shock protection from the v. low profile tyres.

Ultimatly it's up to you obviously, but personaly I'd go with 17's (and lowering springs :) )

It will affect your fuel consumption, as the alloys will weight more. So it will take more effort to turn the wheel, therefore using more fuel.

I would agree with MIP, but if you do decide to go for 18", I'd recommend 225/35 on the fronts and 225/40 on the rear. Most Alloy Wheel suppliers list the 225/40 on their packages but it will impair acceleration noticeably if fitted to the front Wheels.

Thats all great guys - thanks for the help - ive decided on 17s mainly because of all that i have read about how harsh the ride could be otherwise...dont think the ladyfriend would appreciate that at all!! So - people talk about keeping the rolling radius the same...my current tyres are 205 50 16 - theyre those on the alloys that came with the car (i believe they are the standard celica 5 spoke bubbling alloys - and oh yes - mine have bubbled!!), so what would i best sticking to for some good 17s so as not to affect ABS or my speedo? Tyre size wise? And if anyone can any suggestions for good alloys as im still not convinced on how the toyamas will look?

Thanks again Peeps..

Paul

The correct Tyre size for 17" alloys is 205/45/17. I have two sets up for sale on TOC! at the moment if you're interested :)

Kev.