Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Compressor Queries

Onk

Had the TS Compressor now for just over 2 months and the lovely hot weather has led to some windows-down motoring. This has brought to our attention a slight issue. There is a fairly loud squeek which seems to only be produced when you accelerate (not even very much) after having a period of no acceleration, ie after coasting or changing gear. This is quite annoying, especially now we know it's there!!

This led to a trip to Mr T as it is still under warranty. They 'greased the supercharger clutch' which did seem to help but hasn't got rid of the problem. After time it has also returned to it's former glory. We have again contacted Mr T and they say that the conclusion of their warranty investigation is that the supercharger oil needs to be checked, which they won't do under warranty!!!!

This has led to some questions:

Should the oil in the supercharger be checked/changed regularly?

What is the interval for this check?

Should this be included in a Toyota service of the TS Compressor as per normal service schedule?

Why is nothing mentioned of this in the handbook or the Compressor special additions handbook?

How much would a new supercharger cost?

This car has a full Toyota service history, but it seems I have no way of knowing if the supercharger oil has ben replaced/checked. If they open it up and find a problem with the supercharger, am I going to be screwed for the cost of a replacement or will I get it on warranty?

This problem is also componded by the fact that we bought it from a dealership 50 miles away and not the local one, which is where we are trying to get this sorted out, this is causing no-end of issues with inter-franchise relations. God I hate car sales franchises!!

Please, please can someone help me.

Thanks very much.

PS Sorry for the long post.

the oil should be checked regulary , how regular is not laid out by toyota

the supercharger oil check is extra to the normal 10k service

as far as i know the oil doesnt need replaced , just topped up when necessary

When you get the noise it it when the engine is at low revs? On some of the CTS's the auxiliary belt tensioner squeaks when pulling from low down the rev range, its a long shot but as the CTSC has the same basic engine it could be the same thing.

When you get the noise it it when the engine is at low revs? On some of the CTS's the auxiliary belt tensioner squeaks when pulling from low down the rev range, its a long shot but as the CTSC has the same basic engine it could be the same thing.

It does seem to occur a lot at about 2000 rpm. Not sure if I just can't hear it when at higher revs because of increased engine noise etc.

Though when Mr T greased the supercharger clutch there was a definite improvement, certainly worth mentioning to them when it is next in.

Afaik the charger oil has to be checked every 10k and the gasket for it has to be changed ever time you check it too, Toyota dont seem to know much about how to do this unfortunatley. When checked Toyota have to order in the exact amount of oil they need to top it up and get you to come back to get it topped up. Mate on here has a compressor and has had bother finding someone in Toyota that knows what their at on this subject, they didnt even know it had to be topped up.

It does seem to occur a lot at about 2000 rpm. Not sure if I just can't hear it when at higher revs because of increased engine noise etc.

Though when Mr T greased the supercharger clutch there was a definite improvement, certainly worth mentioning to them when it is next in.

Greasing up parts to hide squeeks is what cowboys do - take it to another dealer as you are under warranty.

i have the same squeak i think in my cts.

when coming off the clutch in first or changing gear. also when the engine labours at low rpm.

My uncles a mechanic he thinks it was the fan belt alright.

Whats this about the aux belt tensioner??

when coming off the clutch in first or changing gear. also when the engine labours at low rpm.

This is definitely not the fan belt, I've had that before on previous cars. No this is a short squeak when applying accelerator, it never does it when idling, never when engine labouring. I know its something to do with the supercharger because of the difference after they greased it, hence the post!

I thought my car had a problem so i posted about this subject, the replies that came back and i was not the only one! Its another one of the CTS quirks, someone on here did have theirs changed and it quietened down.

i have a compressor but have not had this problem do you think it could be as you press the throttle the supercharger cuts in could it be a slip of the belt as the load is applied from the supercharger if the belt has got a bit polished and breifly slips til it takes a grip .a possibilty anyway .could change the belt but think there about £60.has yours done many miles

i have a compressor but have not had this problem do you think it could be as you press the throttle the supercharger cuts in could it be a slip of the belt as the load is applied from the supercharger if the belt has got a bit polished and breifly slips til it takes a grip .a possibilty anyway .could change the belt but think there about £60.has yours done many miles

The car's got under 30k miles on the clock and on discussion with a variety of Mr T's we're getting the belt changed under warranty on Saturday. Hopefully this will sort the problem, will let you know.

I thought my car had a problem so i posted about this subject, the replies that came back and i was not the only one! Its another one of the CTS quirks, someone on here did have theirs changed and it quietened down.

Yea i had the aux idler changed but that was to cure a rattle at low engine rpm.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update for you on my squeek. Having got nowhere with my local MrT (they wanted us to pay for them to do anymore even though it's still in warranty) I took it to another franchise. They replaced the aux belt on the supercharger with no questions, this didn't solve the squeek but apparently the belt was a bit buggered anyway.

Took out the mechanic for a spin who immediately identified it as the bush and spring on exhaust manifold (I think Ponzer mentioned this before) and also said the gearbox needed looking at!

It's back from MrT now with bearings in the gearbox replaced and bush and spring replaced.

The squeek has finally gone :thumbsup: , also I'm sure the car feels a little quicker now they've had a play with gearbox :yes:

So I'm happy, but it does mean I'm going to drive for an hour to get the car serviced now because there is no way I am doing any business with my local useless MrT from now on. (I think someone mentioned cowboys earlier in this thread, I would agree but I would also add that they are just plain sh#*)

Hi

I am having some problems with my compressor so to find a Toyota garage which knows a bit about them would be great - could you let me know which one could actually diagonse and fix the problem?

My comressor is still under warantee - i have notices a rattle from the engine at fast idle (about 1000rpm) and also a loud buzz at 3,500rpm - my local garange diagnosed the inlet manifold as the problem but after two days in the work shop they have decided thats not the problem, but they did notice the exhaust manifold glowing red so they think the problem may be with the exhaust!

I'm worried that the warantee will run out before they get a fix for the problem (or maybe the car will catch fire!)

Thanks

Jim

Hi

I am having some problems with my compressor so to find a Toyota garage which knows a bit about them would be great - could you let me know which one could actually diagonse and fix the problem?

My comressor is still under warantee - i have notices a rattle from the engine at fast idle (about 1000rpm) and also a loud buzz at 3,500rpm - my local garange diagnosed the inlet manifold as the problem but after two days in the work shop they have decided thats not the problem, but they did notice the exhaust manifold glowing red so they think the problem may be with the exhaust!

I'm worried that the warantee will run out before they get a fix for the problem (or maybe the car will catch fire!)

Thanks

Jim

I was trying to be political and not name names but as you asked so nicely, the garage I will no longer be visiting is the Tollhouse Horsham. The garage that helped us resolve our issues was Motorline Tunbridge Wells.

I guess Tunbridge is a bit of a trek for you so I'm sorry if this doesn't help you out much.

I test drove a compressor that had a loud buzz at low revs, no idea what that was, didn't buy it though cos it also had a dent in the door. Sounds nasty if you've got bits glowing red, but I am no mechanic.

Good luck.

Hi

Thanks for letting me know, Tunbridge Wells is part of the area I cover for work so it should be easy (and free) to drop in and ge tthem to give an opinion, but hopefully the local dealership will fix the problem in the next week or two

They have assured me that the exhaust getting red hot wont be a problem if I dont thrash it so I guess I need to take them at their work, but of I dont get any joy, I will get a second opinion - my garage also hinted that part of the problem is that they dont see many of the compressors in their workshop hence they dont have the knowledge base for diagnosing problems.....

Regards

Jim

red hot exhaust on WOT is normal for most cars , i wouldnt worry unless oil lines, brake lines etc are close but im sure theyre all well away or heat wrapped up :)

think toyota dealers nationally are a bit uncertain on the compressor , i know they are over here , one dealer even demanded compressors were imports and so void of warranty :@

stephen

red hot exhaust on WOT is normal for most cars , i wouldnt worry unless oil lines, brake lines etc are close but im sure theyre all well away or heat wrapped up :)

think toyota dealers nationally are a bit uncertain on the compressor , i know they are over here , one dealer even demanded compressors were imports and so void of warranty :@

stephen

PMSL!!!! Good Lord! Please PM me the name of this dealer so i can stay away from them!!!

stephen

PMSL!!!! Good Lord! Please PM me the name of this dealer so i can stay away from them!!!

its shelbourne in portadown , tbh once i had a wee word in their ear they started to listen , and have been very willing and eager to work on the car , few of the younger techs have t sport yaris and rollas modified so theres an interest there, they are finding it hard to get compressor oil tho , which im low on apparently , so everytime i drive its like riding miss daisy and waiting for the bang lol , am bringing in a bit of oil myself from germany so im seeing whos better , me or toyota lol

i would reccomend them tho , as would ruth and linty too i imagine

my garage also hinted that part of the problem is that they dont see many of the compressors in their workshop hence they dont have the knowledge base for diagnosing problems.....

Yeah I have been given this excuse as well. I can see where Toyota are coming from, but as a consumer it is a load of rubbish. At the end of the day Toyota released a product and they should ensure that they are fully capable to support it, even if there was only one. I could understand if it was old as well, but these cars are still under manufacturers warranty!!

They should get help from Toyota Technical, and basically tell them they need to sort it out!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links