Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Diesel - How Many Mpg?

fionamarg

I recently bought a Yaris diesel (with MMT) because I have a new job with an energy efficiency quango, and I wanted to do my bit to reduce my carbon footprint. So my husband's lovely Volvo left us to make room for the Yaris. What a disappointment. Not only do I find the MMT a pretty useless idea (neither one thing nor the other - people who drive automatics don't WANT to change gear manually!) but the fuel economy is nothing vaguely like what's promised. I'm getting less than 55 mpg at best (and that's on 90% non-urban driving) as against the promised 70. Because I have learned all about 'eco-driving' I'm driving in the most fuel-efficient way possible. I complained to the dealer, and was told that "diesels are always very thirsty for the first 2000 miles" (thus far, I've done just over 800, as I got it with 0 on the clock).

HOWEVER, a colleague also has a Yaris diesel which has now done 20 000 miles, and she's equally disappointed by the car's great love for visiting filling stations.

I bought this car partly because it has such low carbon emissions (I was still in the first giddy flush of enthusiasm about saving the planet!) - but it seems to me that the published emissions figure must be dependant on the fuel burned - and if the car's being greedy, then I'm burning more fuel to cover a set number of miles.....etc?

Interested to hear other owners' experiences.

:(

I recently bought a Yaris diesel (with MMT) because I have a new job with an energy efficiency quango, and I wanted to do my bit to reduce my carbon footprint. So my husband's lovely Volvo left us to make room for the Yaris. What a disappointment. Not only do I find the MMT a pretty useless idea (neither one thing nor the other - people who drive automatics don't WANT to change gear manually!) but the fuel economy is nothing vaguely like what's promised. I'm getting less than 55 mpg at best (and that's on 90% non-urban driving) as against the promised 70. Because I have learned all about 'eco-driving' I'm driving in the most fuel-efficient way possible. I complained to the dealer, and was told that "diesels are always very thirsty for the first 2000 miles" (thus far, I've done just over 800, as I got it with 0 on the clock).

HOWEVER, a colleague also has a Yaris diesel which has now done 20 000 miles, and she's equally disappointed by the car's great love for visiting filling stations.

I bought this car partly because it has such low carbon emissions (I was still in the first giddy flush of enthusiasm about saving the planet!) - but it seems to me that the published emissions figure must be dependant on the fuel burned - and if the car's being greedy, then I'm burning more fuel to cover a set number of miles.....etc?

Interested to hear other owners' experiences.

:(

I was getting about 52mpg when I was driving home via the motorway everyday (25 miles) doing on average 85 (I love flexi time!).

I was very happy with this as it was over twice the mpg I was getting in my 11 year old bmw.

However, due to rocketing fuel costs I have started to stick to the speed limit to see how much of a difference that makes. (I knew it would make some difference I wasn't entirely sure how much)

After one week of not going over 75 on the motorway I am now getting over 57mpg and that is climbing everyday (by usually 0.3 mpgs).

Going at 90 burns twice as much fuel as going at 60.

Wind resistance really hurts at high speeds.

There's a noticeable difference even between 75 and 70.

25 miles on the motorway takes about an extra 1 min at 70 compared to 75 if my calculations are correct.

25 miles on the motorway takes about an extra 1 min at 70 compared to 75 if my calculations are correct.

Yes but people generally get speed creep when driving. They gradually get faster.

Hence me keeping it under 75 not at 70.

As I mentioned, I'm heavily into eco-driving, because of my work.

That means:

1) watching the revs AND watching the speed - I aim for the most efficient speed range, whixh is around 57 mph, since I'm driving on reasonable-quality rural roads, not motorways

2) avoiding short journeys

anticipating road conditions so I'm not having to brake hard or accelerate sharply

3) not sitting with the engine idling

4) not driving with the windows open, or a Roof Rack in place

5) plan (as far as possible) to avoid times of traffic congestion.

So it ain't the speed that's causing the poor consumption!

Fiona

As I mentioned, I'm heavily into eco-driving, because of my work.

That means:

1) watching the revs AND watching the speed - I aim for the most efficient speed range, whixh is around 57 mph, since I'm driving on reasonable-quality rural roads, not motorways

2) avoiding short journeys

anticipating road conditions so I'm not having to brake hard or accelerate sharply

3) not sitting with the engine idling

4) not driving with the windows open, or a Roof Rack in place

Are you using the air conditioning a lot, this will affect your mpg !!!

5) plan (as far as possible) to avoid times of traffic congestion.

So it ain't the speed that's causing the poor consumption!

Fiona

In my experience modern Diesels need to have about 20k on them to produce optimum fuel economy, so as the dealer says the car is still tight. However the chances of acheiving the official 70 ish MPG will be low, with the official figures coming from a bench test and in perfect conditions you can see the problem.

You will also get different MPG results depending on the fuel you purchase, typically brands will differ, in my old Accord 2.2d ASDA knocked 5 MPG off when compared with Shell. Some cars just seem to like certain fuels.

Let her bed in and experiment with the fuel you buy and see how it goes.

For my first 2000 diesel miles, I was having serious doubts that I'd made a good choice - tight as hell, sluggish, and not particularly economical. After that, it started to improve noticably, to the point where I thought, "this is actually quite quick for a small diesel!"

Regards mpg, my 1.4 returns a steady 49mpg now, and that's a bit of urban, but mostly M-way at speeds I cannot put in print! Deffo not grumbling!

I've had my SR diesel since January and I've found that I'm now getting 58MPG on mixed driving of town, motorway and single carriageway A roads. The MPG does increase as you drive as mine was below 50MPG for a while.

Diesel price may be high now, but I'm still spending far less on fuel per week compared to my old petrol Focus, and that's comparing current diesel prices to the petrol prices of a few months ago!

You will also get different MPG results depending on the fuel you purchase, typically brands will differ, in my old Accord 2.2d ASDA knocked 5 MPG off when compared with Shell. Some cars just seem to like certain fuels.

Yep, Sainsbury's is the worst for me so far. I'm getting 58MPG on Shell Diesel Extra at the moment.

My Yaris is now 5 years old with 35k. Had it since 20k miles.

I drive mainly around town (hence the low mileage) and record all fuel.

I find MPG improves with Shell/texaco.

Averages: 57mpg with airocn on

59.5mpg with aircon off.

On long runs : Motorway I keep at an indicated 70-78mph.. and average 68mpg ish.

I do not drive hard but nor am a mimser... .

Modern diesels take 10k miles to run freely and mpg improves thereafter. I would never buy a new one for that reason with my low annual mileage (6k).

Aircon on when engine is cold is a great waste of fuel. Ditto accelerating hard up hills.

Above figures are based on measured miles and fueling to brim over several 1000 miles...WInter consumption is about 1-2mpg worse than summer.

My Yaris is now 5 years old with 35k. Had it since 20k miles.

I drive mainly around town (hence the low mileage) and record all fuel.

I find MPG improves with Shell/texaco.

Averages: 57mpg with airocn on

59.5mpg with aircon off.

On long runs : Motorway I keep at an indicated 70-78mph.. and average 68mpg ish.

I do not drive hard but nor am a mimser... .

Modern diesels take 10k miles to run freely and mpg improves thereafter. I would never buy a new one for that reason with my low annual mileage (6k).

Aircon on when engine is cold is a great waste of fuel. Ditto accelerating hard up hills.

Above figures are based on measured miles and fueling to brim over several 1000 miles...WInter consumption is about 1-2mpg worse than summer.

• 3 years later...

a Petrol will give you 30 to 37mpg and a Diesel 50 to 57mpg, I live in Cumbria , I respect the speed limits, Hills everywhere going up and down all the time, If you do more is not because your driving is because of the roads! AMEN!

We get 57mpg extra urban and recently took a short trip to Harrogate averaging 60 mpg with the average still climbing...soon to be going to France I am hoping for 70-75 mpg as I feel sure this is easily achievable.

If you can stick to ~60mph and accelerate gradually, 75mpg should be easy to achieve; My all-time record was something like 800 miles on a tank :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Fiona - you say the most you are getting is 55 mpg - whats your worst figure,

If its something like 47 or 48 mpg then it could be that the cars still very tight.

If its something silly (for a diesel) like 37 mpg then something might not be right.

You don't say what the Volvo was - but i should think that coming from something like an S60 or V70 to a Yaris isn't conducive to subsequent happiness with the Yaris.

Red diesel

My figures for a Mk2 Yaris D4D are as follows:

51,594 miles using 3,590 litres of diesel = 65.46mpg.

In the first 20k miles the average was lower at 64.4mpg. I also changed to a heavier grade of oil (i.e. 5w-40) in the last 20k miles, which will have probably reduced the economy slightly.

Hi,

I have a 2004 Yaris D_4D with about 70,000 miles on it.

Bought it second hand with 60k on when my trusty Pug 306 tdi finally died.

I live in a rural location, but travel 60-odd miles a day to work & back, up & down hills, plus urban environments

The car gets a regular 'italian tune up' as I like to make progress where conditions & traffic etc allow.

Each time I fill up, I brim it, then reset the trip counter to zero.

At the next fill up, brim it again, note the fuel used and use the mileage recorded to calculate the MPG/KPL.

This website is very simple to use

http://www.euronet.n...frans/fuel.html

The worst that I have ever had is 45.66mpg and that was a round trip to Scotland, on lovely fast swooping roads.

There were more than one or two BMW & Audi drivers that did a double take, as a little Yaris zipped past them :rolleyes:

Winter driving with lights on all the time, the average is about 54mpg.

Driving as if you have a balloon under the accelerator pedal, returns 64mpg without really trying too hard.

Hope this helps.

Graeme

Aygo, 1,4

I regularly drive around 500 miles (800 km) between tankings and have never filled more than 34 litres, unless I have been deliberately heavy with my right foot.

Having nipped up to Belfast last Sunday morning to collect No1 Son for Mothers Day.

Boy the 90BHP Diesel Yaris is a fast article, I had difficulty keeping the speed below 80 odd.

Currently only got 2500 miles on but seems to be bedding in nicely on a mix of weekaday Urban/short Motorway driving with a fast 100 mile round trip each weekend.

Despite the crap useless almost meaningless graphic mpg indicator, I reckoned just about 60 on the way there.

But only on the right side of 50 on our return.

An average journey speed of 60mph, door to door, per the car computer thinngy was partly responsible, an 18 stone son also being a factor, possibly travelling North uphill on the Map into the prevailing wind also had some negative influence .

When we bought the car I figgered about 60mpg overall once run in.

PS

I should blush being used to (i) only ever 5 gears in the past manual cars plus (ii) lately 2 automatic cars,

I kept forgetting about 6th Gear :ermm:

PPS

I BES CAMPAINGING FOR WOR DAUGHTER TO BRIM THE !Removed! TANK & PRODUCE MEANINGFUL MILAGE FIGS

Humph

PPPPPPPPS

Erm

I tried the MMT and concluded it was a very poor arrangment

Hence we bought a DSG equipped car for Senior Managment

I have a 2008 1.4 D4D Yaris.

For the first 10k Kilometers ( about 7k miles I guess) - mpg was really bad.

It also had something to do with me coming from a 1.4 VVT corolla which needed serious pedal work to be 'fast'.

But, now, I can plan regular trips at 5 liters/100 km (mixed traffic as the roads run through many villages) - that would be about 56 mpg (UK) if my calculation is correct.

maybe the newer Yaris has a different mpg spec and different gearbox, but I have seen 70 mpg only when going downhill :hokus-pokus:

On the other hand, the mpg display in my Yaris tends to be rather pessimistic, by about 5 mpg when doing city driving (shows 35 but if I calculate the fuel used - it ends up at about 40). That's in pretty bad traffic starting from cold in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I own a 2012 1.4 D4D Yaris.

From the first 4 miles on the clock when I collected it, I'm current doing around 112 miles per day (56 each way to/from work) on 95% mway, averaging around 65mph using a combo of both 5th and 6th gear when required with the trip computer showing at best 75.3mpg one way and as low as 68mpg in stop/start traffic on the mway, but generally around 74 mpg :)

I fill up once a week around £55 at today's prices £146.7 per litre and this does me a full week to/from work (560 miles) plus short trips running around at the weekends. The low level fuel indicator comes on pretty early but I reckon there is still around a gallon or there abouts of diesel in the tank at that time.

4 years after my original post on this subject (!), I have the same car, drive the same way and get roughly the same mpg (to within 1 mpg).

Consistency? Or luck? Or just plain boring :-)

Hi All,

Interesting reading about your various experiences with the Yaris 1.4 D4D.

I think I am experiencing the "loosening" of a new car; the mpg is improving with each tank of fuel. It has started out at about 56 mpg per tank (mostly urban), and reached 64mpg on the last tank (mostly urban with a 100 mile run in deepest Breconshire), so a gradual improvement.

However, on two occasions, on a journey to work 16 miles, fairly flat roads, and 3 miles of motorway - I couldn't get the 15 minute bar chart gizmo above 50mpg for the whole journey, and the average for fuel consumed to date plunged from 64 to 55 mpg in 16 miles. Later, on the way home it was back to "normal".

I took it back to the dealers, left it for the day; they did about 60 miles in it, and couldn't find a fault.

Anyone had any similar experiences??

Hi All,

Interesting reading about your various experiences with the Yaris 1.4 D4D.

I think I am experiencing the "loosening" of a new car; the mpg is improving with each tank of fuel. It has started out at about 56 mpg per tank (mostly urban), and reached 64mpg on the last tank (mostly urban with a 100 mile run in deepest Breconshire), so a gradual improvement.

However, on two occasions, on a journey to work 16 miles, fairly flat roads, and 3 miles of motorway - I couldn't get the 15 minute bar chart gizmo above 50mpg for the whole journey, and the average for fuel consumed to date plunged from 64 to 55 mpg in 16 miles. Later, on the way home it was back to "normal".

I took it back to the dealers, left it for the day; they did about 60 miles in it, and couldn't find a fault.

Anyone had any similar experiences??

Hi Stuart,

Got to say I have already experienced something v.similar to this.

Driving on the mway the other day, suddenly after hard accelerating from a lower speed in a wrong gear (doing around 45-50 in 5th) the down shift light came on to tell me to shift down to get better acceleration but I ignored this and cruised back up to 65mph. Later still driving on the same trip I noticed my mpg was now staying low not even getting above 50mpg compared to 75mpg+, the only thought I had that this was linked to the earlier acceleration prob, I dropped to 4th gear in slower mway traffic did a bit of harder acceleration for a moment changed up to 5th and everything went back to normal straight away, mpg was back to normal on the car display and haven't suffered any probs since. I put this down as a one off, driver fault, be interesting to hear if anything knows any different.

Oh by the way sometimes on the separate instrument trip computer whilst scrolling through this mid-journey on one screen i just get dashes ---- / --- no data, yet all normal data re trips/mpg/miles etc is all still their sounds like an electronic glitch somewhere, but very rarely happens and no side-effects seemed to be being experienced.