Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Temperature Guage Over Reading

thestabbedcat

Hi

Help Please

I have a 1996 Toyota Carina E 1.8 GS

Can anyone shed any light on a temperature gauge over reading? The gauge does what it should for 5-10 miles then shoots off the scale. The car will run with no problems in this fashion. 60 miles or more it does not over heat.

Sometimes the gauge will drop back down to normal a reading. I am positive that the car is not over heating.

Thought it may be a faulty temperature sensor or thermostat, but do not know where they are or how to test them. Is there anything else in the system that could give this problem, i.e. the gauge?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, sounds like a faulty sensor on your thermostat.

if it's a 4a fe engine the thermo is on the r/h/s as you look at it.

Testing the thermo is easy, just take it out, drop it in some cold water, put it on the cooker and boil it up,

when boiling take it out with pliers and check it's open.

Have you checked for air in the system? B)

I think you have an air lock in the system. the spike is caused when the air passes the sensor. the cause of the air pocket is likely to be a faulty radiator pressure cap. The thermostat is unlikely to be the fault as they either work correctly or they don't. Stats do not have 'intermittant faults'.

I think you have an air lock in the system. the spike is caused when the air passes the sensor. the cause of the air pocket is likely to be a faulty radiator pressure cap. The thermostat is unlikely to be the fault as they either work correctly or they don't. Stats do not have 'intermittant faults'.

Thank you for information, will try new cap on radiator and previous suggestion if that does not work. Once again many thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links