Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indicators Problem

Andrewp

Well, 2000 miles into my Carina (1994 E XLi) ownership and the indicators have developed a problem, it started as an electrical buzzing from to the right of the steering wheel (possible fuse area) while the indicators were fine but now the indicators either do nothing, flash once or twice then nothing, or sometimes, work normally.

Any ideas on where to start greatly appreciated, I'm thinking indicator relay?? What should I check/change first and where to look advice needed. Thank you in advance :)

Hi andy, certainly sounds like a relay to me but try checking all bulbs and connections first, then check your fuses,

that's the cheapest way to start.

If you know anyone else with a carina try swapping their relay for yours and if that dose'nt work it could be the indicator

stalk itself, they've got a type of what i can only describe as a bush inside, if this is worn it won't be connecting

correctly causing a short, apart from these i don't have a clue cos i don't normally do electrics i leave that type of

thing to the experts.

But good luck with it anyway m8 and let me know how you get on. (hope you don't mind being called andy).

Thank you Trev for your prompt reply, just had to plan all my M25 overtaking moves while no-one was close behind during my 50 mile drive back from work tonight then typically I had just removed the plastic cover to the right of the drivers footwell and it started pouring with rain and has got dark so further investigations must wait until the morning. The Hazard lights also only work sometimes making the relay look a likely culprit, I have swapped fuses around to no effect. I'll keep you posted !

Ah, forgot about the hazard switch, could be this thats at fault, as the indicators run through the hazards.

just something else to confuse ya! ;)

My old carina had this problem. I found that if the indicator 'frooze', switching the hazards on for a few seconds solved the problem. It owuld only do it whae i first set off in a morning.

I knew it was the relay (available form Halfords BTW) but i never bothered swapping it. as this 'fix' always worked

Sorted, a new "flasher unit" has been fitted by my trusted garage, not quite as cheap as I would have liked however as you can tell by the facial expressions of those to whom I showed the bill ! Thanks for your earlier comments and advice.

ahhhhhhxj4.gif

must have been really expensive then :o

Glad you got it sorted out anyway, no more dicing with death on the m25 :lol: