Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mini Disc To Cd

Starensis

Just bought a RAV4 for the missus, only problem is it's got a Mini disc player & wanted CD. A few of questions relating to this:-

1. Are MD's readily available?

2. If not, can I purchase equipment for PC so I can create my own?

3. Will Sony CD head units ( from Halfords, Argos etc ) fit into dash without any alterations? I know Toyota usually secure to the dash beam & not use cage type.

4. Anyone want to buy a Sony MD unit?

Happy new year to you all!!

:ffs: :ffs:

Just bought a RAV4 for the missus, only problem is it's got a Mini disc player & wanted CD. A few of questions relating to this:-

1. Are MD's readily available?

2. If not, can I purchase equipment for PC so I can create my own?

3. Will Sony CD head units ( from Halfords, Argos etc ) fit into dash without any alterations? I know Toyota usually secure to the dash beam & not use cage type.

4. Anyone want to buy a Sony MD unit?

Happy new year to you all!!

mini disks are cool... you can rerecord on them and the sound quality is mint.. and they are available all over the place...

If you would have told me about this a week ago.. i would have considered taking the deck off you!!!!! :ffs:

Ive just sent a cheque off for a MP3 CD player for my car.... :blink:

Yopu can buy a minidisk deck to record them fairly cheaply -under £200.. -but it'd be cheaper to buy a CD player for the car!!!!!!

annother option is getting a CD changer to plug into it.... can't cost to much!!!!!

if you want to sell it PM me, -what model is it? and pics? I have the reverse problem - my probe only has a Tape player and all my stuff is on minidisk!!!!! The supra is off the road as its not a winter car ;).. but I don't want to gut the supra to put bits in a poxy probe!!!!!!

You can get a NetMD walkman for around £100 these days. This should allow you to copy music from your PC onto MiniDisk, plus you'll have a walkman to listen to tunes when you're not in the car.

Dazwan,

Your option sounds interesting!!

Can you give me any more info on these MD walkmans? Where do you purchase from etc?

I don't mind investing £100 to enable recording onto MD. Sounds like it would be better to stick with MD opposed to CD!

Thanks for your advise so far.

Can you give me any more info on these MD walkmans?  Where do you purchase from etc?

I've got an Aiwa NetMD Click here for a link to Argos. I bought it so I could listen to tunes when I go running (it cost £120 when I got it).

You can't record directly to this walkman (ie through a Hi-Fi), but you can record onto disks from the PC (using USB). If you have an MP3 collection it can convert these to ATRAC and then record them to disks. Alternatively you can copy from CD's using the software provided.

As I said, I use it when I go running and to listen to when I walk to work and it works fine. It uses 1xAA Battery and each Battery should be good for over 40hrs (beats any MP3 player in terms of Battery life). As for sound quality, as with any walkman, if you want decent sound invest in some decent Headphones. The only thing this model is missing is an in-line remote.

As for disks, they come in either 74min or 80min flavours (with MD-LP this can time can be doubled with no major loss in sound quality, but make sure the player in the car supports this otherwise it could be a problem). As they are a digital format I'll go out on a limb and suggest that different brands won't offer any difference in playback quality, so don't bother wasting your money on super expensive brands, I use TDK and they are fine.

I've got an MD changer in my car - it's better than a CD changer -

you can get about three albums per MD (If you LP2 it or you can get more mon if you LP4 it but LP4 can affect the record quality)

MD's take up less room.

I also download music off the internet onto MD's

I also bought some brilliant Speakers for my MD walkman so I use it at work

So I definatly recommend the MD to CD

Kaz

mini discs are a fantastic format its just a complete shame that they didnt do very well

Dazwans Sugestions are the best IMO. We use MD in the Pro-Audio industry all the time as you can ID the tracks for instant recall etc.. during live shows (the horible type that the performers mime in). In theatre we will use MD for the sound effects (also due to instant recall). Another good point about MD is the fact that they don't skip if you drive over bumps.

I have seen some domestic MD player/recorders that have a "detatchable face" also enabling it to be a walkman.

Personally, I would spend a little extra and go with a Sony portable recordable unit which has digital and line-in capabilities. Some of the Aiwa units are not bad either - just make sure whichever option you go for is recordable as there are loads of Play Only units out there for less than 100 notes.

You should be able to find something half decent at a Curries or Dixsons especially now during the sales.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

I just do not know what to do!!!

I picked up a Sony MD recorder (walkman size) 2nd hand for £50 and a Sony Separate for my HiFi for £75 ..

And I've got a MD/CD head unit in the car .. £35.

Nice bits of kit .. less likely to have a damaging scratch than a CD.