Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Restoring Black Paint

samsite999

Hi, well i got some odds and sods to sort out underneath the car. I have dent man in his way up next week to remove all the little car park dinks,

Im after doing some work with the paint now. The last owner did a good job at keeping it clean. But i don't think its seen wax or a protective cover for some time

there are lots and lots of swirl marks on the paintwork. I would like to flatten it all back out and get a deep polished shiny black look back. i did this with my Mr2 but it took months of polishing.

first of, would a black T cut work? i was told not to use this on a coupe as there was no point because of the lacker. is it the same on the celica?

i dont have much time for autogleam products. i never have found them to be good. can any one recommend a course of action here? should i be cutting away at the paint, or using a filling polish and then waxing to protect it?

I dont mind hard work, and i don't even mind paying some one a 100 quid or so to do a proper job at the swirl removal?

thanks

Sam

t cut is no good it just takes the paint off i always use the megs products if the swirls arnt too bad id suggest scratch x but if the fairly bad put that £100 towards a good machine polish it will come up like new and if done by a reputable company you dont have all the hard work

• 6 months later...
t cut is no good it just takes the paint off i always use the megs products if the swirls arnt too bad id suggest scratch x but if the fairly bad put that £100 towards a good machine polish it will come up like new and if done by a reputable company you dont have all the hard work

Try this article. http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=17

However if you are thinking of using a PC polishing machine do test it out on something first especially with cutting compounds. Which you could probably skip anyway and go straight to enhancement polishes. Porter cables generally are better at removing swirlmarks then by hand and also less work but if you want to try it on the cheap by hand first and see how you feel after its safe and you might be surprised!

• 2 weeks later...

Black paint shows up swirl marks alot more than most colours but you can get the swirl marks out quite easily.

I would use Farecla G3 with a rotary buffer and use an empty bottle of Mr muscle(Mist sprayer bottle,u know the one) filled with water(WASH OUT WELL :crazy: )

Work panel by panel, spray with alot of water and put the Farecla G3 on the Buffer pad and work into the paint at a low enough RPM(as not to burn the paint), keep spraying water on the panel to make sure the panel doesn't get to hot. Work up and down and then side to side making sure not to leave buffer in the same place.

Thats it!!! Swirl marks gone and then use a good polish to get a finer finish...then wax! :cheers:

....Work panel by panel, spray with alot of water and put the Farecla G3 on the Buffer pad and work into the paint at a low enough RPM(as not to burn the paint), keep spraying water on the panel to make sure the panel doesn't get to hot. Work up and down and then side to side making sure not to leave buffer in the same place....

What a terrific bit of advice :thumbsup:

When reading it the advice all seemed so logical.... I'll follow that when I have a go at my wife's Prius in a couple of months :yes: