Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Things To Look For When Buying A Celica.

Jinata

I want a Generation 6 Celica, and I'm planning to buy one in a few weeks time.

However, my history of car only involves Nissans, I haven't owned anything else.

So are there any things to look for or avoid when looking to buy a Celica Gen 6? (94-99)

Good choice. Like you I'd only had Nissans until I got the Celica. Like most Jap cars they are fairly similar and there isn't anything specific to look for really.

Which model are you thinking of? In the UK line up, the main models are 1.8 ST, 2.0 GT or GT-Four. I would personally go for the GT. It is a fantastic all rounder and relatively cheap to buy and run. If you are set on the GT-Four, you need to do much more research as owning one is much more of a challenge.

You can pick a perfect GT up for less than £3k and it will last you for years with no troubles. Check all the usual things, service history, rust, HPI, tyres, brakes and suspension. The only common things that go wrong with the Celica are the power aerial and the alarm. Also, check the cambelt has been replaced as this is very important. Meant to be done every 60k or 5 years but I'd ignore the latter.

There are many more cheaper imports on the market and these can have many advantages and disadvantages. Like the GT-Four, I'd do a little more research before buying one of these.

Let us know how you get on :D

Well I was looking at the 1.8ST, as I'm only 19 in a few weeks thats the only Celica I can insure. :(

if your going to struggle for insurance, make sue its uk spec only, that said i think the 1.8 is only uk spec any how?

It will be easy to tell if urs is uk or jap however

borrowed this info off another site but uk is cheaper insurance good choice by the way cambelt is better done but the good news if not done its non interference engine :D

The ST was launched onto the UK market in July 1995, Its 1.8 litre 7A-FE engine was good for 124 Mph and had a 0-60 of 10 secs, best part was it could return over 48 MPG. To save money it had steel wheels and the rear spoiler and side skirts were left off. alloys and the spoiler were available as options but they cost extra.

Following the success of the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition, Toyota GB followed up in 1998 with the SR. Again based on the ST, this time 250 were made in silver and 250 in black. No serial number plaque or carbon fibre effect for the SR but 16" Momo sports alloys and a stainless steel mesh grill made the car look special.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links