Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Adjusment

GIDDLEPIN

I thought it was time to adjust my handbrake as my hand kept hitting the back window when applying :rolleyes:

So.............As usual here is my picture record of how I did it :yes:

I know the usual method is to remove the seats to access the awkward screws on the centre console, remove the centre console, slacken the lock nut, adjust the tension then replace everything.

I did it slightly differently :rolleyes:

First: Push back the rubber gaiter to locate the adjuster (Just above my thumb).

Handbrakeadjustment001.jpg

Second: Take 1/4 drive 10mm "deep" socket with 6" extension and ratchet

Handbrakeadjustment002.jpg

Third: Ratchet up handbrake as tight as possible, slide socket over top nut, slacken off

Handbrakeadjustment004.jpg

Fourth: Make sure care is on level ground, block wheels, let handbrake off, place socket over both nuts and adjust till correct reserve travel is achieved

Handbrakeadjustment005.jpg

Fifth: Apply handbrake, re-secure lock nut, check reserve travel and brake bind.

*UPDATE*

I have since found out that the lock nut is a shouldered type, this doesn't pose a problem though as all you need to do is unscrew till near the end of the thread:

Put a bit of blue-tac on the socket to hold the nut when removing:

Take out lock nut:

Adjust as normal then replace lock nut ;)

This is not necessarily the recommended method, but it worked for me :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Brilliant advice as always... I think my cable is on its last legs as it seems i have run out of screwed rod.

Thanks

Brilliant advice as always... I think my cable is on its last legs as it seems i have run out of screwed rod.

Thanks

I thought the same with mine and it turned out to be the rear callipers seizing, once I freed them off, backed the handbrake adjustment right off and went for a drive giving the brakes a good stamping, then adjusted the cable back up it was as if I had fitted new, loads of adjustment left and 3-4 clicks to put the brake on.

Unfortunately freeing off the callipers was only a temporary fix (lasted about 6-8 months) as they are prone to sticking when they get older, I have recently sent them all in for a full refurb to BigRed Ltd. ;)

Les

• 2 months later...

I adjusted them back in April and now it has only been a couple of months it seems to be as bad as it was before (handbrake coming all the way up)... I don’t understand how seizing calliper’s would cause the handbrake to come up so far, however I took your last post on board and set about stripping one of my rear calipers…

found the bolts were ridiculously tight and sheared one off, anyway I got the stud out now and intend on replacing the bolts on all calipers soon…

anyway im not sure what part of the caliper you mean, with mine I was able to strip the pads off and easily push and pull the two main parts of the callipers that hold the pads in and out (asif braking and un-brakeing). The piston did seem tight but as there is all the brake fluid in the system I think this is normal.

Any ideas? As it seems most logical to me that the cable has streached again. If it has streached that fast it surely must be due to snap.

Thanks

I thought the same with mine and it turned out to be the rear callipers seizing, once I freed them off, backed the handbrake adjustment right off and went for a drive giving the brakes a good stamping, then adjusted the cable back up it was as if I had fitted new, loads of adjustment left and 3-4 clicks to put the brake on.

Unfortunately freeing off the callipers was only a temporary fix (lasted about 6-8 months) as they are prone to sticking when they get older, I have recently sent them all in for a full refurb to BigRed Ltd. ;)

Les

you do not adjust the handbrake with the nut unless you have cable slack.........adjusting is very easy switch car off thump hard down on the brake pedal then push the pedal down as hard as you can then lift off then start the car and press the pedal down again as hard as you can and hold for a few secs job done....

make sure the levers on the calipers are on the stops though if theyre not loosen the cable till the levers are on the stops then do the above..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links