Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dead As A Dodo

Graeme Walker

Folks, help is required.

I just went to start my recently acquired Carina (2L Saloon on an L Plate) and absolutely nothing happened when I put the key in the ignition.

Thinking I had perhaps left my lights on (which I hadn't) I asked a neighbour to jump start me. Nope. That wasn't happening either.

I eventually managed to jump start it by rolling it down a hill, drove it around for 5 minutes but still no electrics worked. No lights, indicators, etc. Nothing. I parked up and turned off the engine, tried to restart, but nothing happened again. Completely dead.

I then noticed that the back passenger door wasn't closed properly (my son had caught the seatbelt in the door while closing).

Could this have drained the Battery or is there something else amiss?

Hi graeme, welcome to the site. It depends on how long the door was open for,

as to whether this is the cause.

When you ran it for 5 mins then turned it off and on again, did any ignition lights come on?

Check the Battery to make sure it's holding it's charge and that theres plenty of fluid in it.

oh, and try get some pics up off your new steed! :D

Hi graeme, welcome to the site. It depends on how long the door was open for,

as to whether this is the cause.

When you ran it for 5 mins then turned it off and on again, did any ignition lights come on?

Check the battery to make sure it's holding it's charge and that theres plenty of fluid in it.

oh, and try get some pics up off your new steed! :D

Thanks Trev.

I think the door was open/ajar for about 4 days, enough time to drain the Battery.

The internal light had a very faint glow, which I surmised meant that the Battery was flat.

In hindsight, I should have taken the car for a 1/2 hour spin in an attempt to put some charge back into it, but to answer your question, there was no signs of life on the dashboard lights after I turned off the engine (only some electrical clicking noises coming from the foot-well area - passengers side.

I'll buy a Battery charger tomorrow and re-charge the battery.

I'll let you know of the outcome.

BTW, I love the motor.

I actually did this EXACT same thing this morning, left the passenger door slightly ajar overnight and tried to start...nothing, just a sort of whine which reduced in frequency then stopped, no fan, no windows, a slight click from under the bonnet.

Bump started it and drove it for about 3/4 hour, it took that long before the windows started working and the fans started running again. It's fine now but I reckon 5 mins isn't enough.

As an aside, I also topped up the electrolyte...starts with fewer turns now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links