Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Keyless!

gordonjsinclair@hotmail.com

Where is the best place to get a new key cut for my Rav4 3yr old vehicle?

The key is the type with the 2 alarm buttons in the black key head, OR is it only a main dealer job.

I still have a spare plus the master key

Ta

A main dealer but prepare yourself for a shock first. the key has to be programmed to the car and I seem to remember it ain't cheap.

You could try this option:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=lost+key

Might be a bit cheaper :thumbsup:

A big thankyou to you, I called into the mani dealers and was not very pleased they quoted approx £250 to replace the key!!! That is an appaling rip off and really needs to be taken up by the office of fair trading!!

Anyway I did contact Jason of jsauto's brilliant service actually came to my home and supplied a key it cost £170 yes expensive BUT worth it rather than pay the Main Dealers!! What makes it worse we have purchased 8 new Toyotas from Lookers and I feel cheated at the asking price so they have lost a customer.

Once again thankyou you have saved me and I would reccommend Jason nice bloke took him about 45mins.

The key is the type with the 2 alarm buttons in the black key head, OR is it only a main dealer job.

Ta

Sorry to be too late, but I broke a key and got a blank spare on eBay from an trader in Hong Kong. I then opened my broken key and transferred the chip to the blank. I then took my master key and the blank to the locksmiths and they just copied it on thier machine (although they did ask where I got the blank and laughed when I told the as they knew the garages ripped everyone off). Total cost under £20. Maybe others will read this and benefit.

I hope I never need to take advantage of this tip Mc Judge, but sounds a real moneysaver :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Ta

Sorry to be too late, but I broke a key and got a blank spare on eBay from an trader in Hong Kong. I then opened my broken key and transferred the chip to the blank. I then took my master key and the blank to the locksmiths and they just copied it on thier machine (although they did ask where I got the blank and laughed when I told the as they knew the garages ripped everyone off). Total cost under £20. Maybe others will read this and benefit.

That is assuming you still have a key to work from of course. What about lost key situations? Where are you then?

You could try this option:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=lost+key

Might be a bit cheaper :thumbsup:

A big thankyou to you, I called into the mani dealers and was not very pleased they quoted approx £250 to replace the key!!! That is an appaling rip off and really needs to be taken up by the office of fair trading!!

Anyway I did contact Jason of jsauto's brilliant service actually came to my home and supplied a key it cost £170 yes expensive BUT worth it rather than pay the Main Dealers!! What makes it worse we have purchased 8 new Toyotas from Lookers and I feel cheated at the asking price so they have lost a customer.

Once again thankyou you have saved me and I would reccommend Jason nice bloke took him about 45mins.

This price was for a remote key complete wih working innerds and transponder chip programmed to the vehicle. I acually thought it was a tad under priced but you were a decent bloke and i didnt have to travel far.

Bought a new one of these for my 4.2 when the plastic fractured around the screw head, meaning that one was as likely to split the heads apart as start the car when twisting it. From main dealer, I think 105 euros - some months ago now, so pre-Sterling collapse.

Can't remember the exact price but if it had been 250quid-equivalent I would have superglued it instead! Bought as I intended to sell the car soon - then found an unused one in a drawer two weeks later when looking for the grey one!

I bought a replacement blank off eBay from Japan. £7.00 for two just changed the innards over. Tried to cut first blank myself just to see if I could but it didn't work so had 2nd one cut at a key cutting centre £3.00 so for a tenner got a new key. Not bad. Blanks arrived within a week of ordering.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links