Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Head Unit

Jeff McCrory

Head unit no. Speakers Yes. My experience of JVC headunits is that they are cheap and wouldn't give you as much for your money as other equivelent units.

Don't see why you are going for a DAB radio as FM will do the job just as easily and save you some ££ to spend on something a bit better.

Get a Sony, Pioneer or Alipine as I think you will enjoy it much more (and for longer).

Head unit no. Speakers Yes. My experience of JVC headunits is that they are cheap and wouldn't give you as much for your money as other equivelent units.

Don't see why you are going for a DAB radio as FM will do the job just as easily and save you some ££ to spend on something a bit better.

Get a Sony, Pioneer or Alipine as I think you will enjoy it much more (and for longer).

Yeah I have been looking around at some others, also just realised you have to install at DAB aerial as well :-S Don't think its worth the bother.

I might just do the Speakers first and see if that fixes the poor sound. Has anyone just replaced the Speakers and seen a vast improvement without having to change the head unit as well?

I listen to DAB in my car, although it's by pluging the DAB player into the aux socket

JVC = Rubbish. Pioneer all the way. Certainly dont bother with DAB, apparently is dying out in cars, plus if your anything like me if you get a new Head with IPOD connection, you will end up listening to your own tunes all the time anyway.

Try caraudiodirect.co.uk always seem to be v.good value.

When I had a JVC unit in a old car it sounded awlful. Pioneer always seems a safe bet but I have seen a few good value alpine units around and my sony unit (gt50ui) sounds really good although IPod naviation is slow.

caraudiodirect do seem to be one of the cheaper non eBay stores.

I'm thinking of buying a Blaupunkt MP3/Bluetooth unit http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/hamburg_mp68.asp

I had an Blaupunkt MP3 unit in my old KA and was impressed with it.

Wow this could definatley be worth it.

"Two year manufacturer's warranty & Two years free theft insurance (requires online or postal registration within 14 days of purchase)."

Also Blaupunkt always have good quality stereos.

I got a JVC KD-AVXII

Sounds ok to me but then all my Speakers have been replaced.

Don't get a DAB radio - the codec is changing so in a few years time so most DAB radios will be redundant and will need replacing (unless you get a DAB radio that has a USB connection that allows you to upgrade the firmware or it supports DAB version 1 and 2).

You may find that it won't be long before it becomes useless. From my limited experience, a radio with DAB seems to have a weak receive on FM too.

DAB also doesn't have that great coverage nationally like FM does either.

What about this...

Sony CDX GT50UI

I just want something that will play CD's, my 5th gen ipod and mp3's on my sony ericsson K850i.

I also want buttons for changing radio station presets instantly. I cant be bothered with jog/shutter dials!

What about this...

Sony CDX GT50UI

I just want something that will play CD's, my 5th gen ipod and mp3's on my sony ericsson K850i.

I also want buttons for changing radio station presets instantly. I cant be bothered with jog/shutter dials!

Yup thats the one, its got preset numbers for changing the radio stations and ipod navigation is down by album up/down buttons which are two of the number keys and then the skip buttons work for track changing.

Yeah I have been looking around at some others, also just realised you have to install at DAB aerial as well :-S Don't think its worth the bother.

I might just do the Speakers first and see if that fixes the poor sound. Has anyone just replaced the Speakers and seen a vast improvement without having to change the head unit as well?

Will improve the sound a bit, but a better HU is by far the way to go. Already got an underseat sub?

Will improve the sound a bit, but a better HU is by far the way to go. Already got an underseat sub?

Nope, no sub, wasn't going to bother with one. I just want a basic sound system with a bit more bass and am able to hear on the motorway. My ipod via the aux port is barely audible without the volumn setting going into the 40's and even then its tinny. I dont know why they bothered with rear Speakers, you cant hear them either!

My ipod via the aux port is barely audible without the volumn setting going into the 40's and even then its tinny.

Are you using the iPod's headphone output direct into the aux input on the stereo?

It sounds MUCH MUCH better if you use an iPod dock or another cable that gives you access to the 'line out' part of the wide 'iPod connector' on the bottom of your iPod, rather than the 'headphone-out' 3.5mm socket.

My ipod via the aux port is barely audible without the volumn setting going into the 40's and even then its tinny.

Are you using the iPod's headphone output direct into the aux input on the stereo?

It sounds MUCH MUCH better if you use an iPod dock or another cable that gives you access to the 'line out' part of the wide 'iPod connector' on the bottom of your iPod, rather than the 'headphone-out' 3.5mm socket.

I have used my iTrip which uses the ipod connector, and its still pretty dire. :(

Nope, no sub, wasn't going to bother with one. I just want a basic sound system with a bit more bass and am able to hear on the motorway. My ipod via the aux port is barely audible without the volumn setting going into the 40's and even then its tinny. I dont know why they bothered with rear Speakers, you cant hear them either!

Your not wrong there! :(

They take up valuable rear door storage space lol :D

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of buying a Blaupunkt MP3/Bluetooth unit http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/hamburg_mp68.asp

Wow this could definatley be worth it.

"Two year manufacturer's warranty & Two years free theft insurance (requires online or postal registration within 14 days of purchase)."

Also Blaupunkt always have good quality stereos.

I just ordered my new radio, was looking around at the prices and noticed that Halfords had the unit for £169.99 which is the cheapest I've seen so far.

But clicked on the 'Add to Basket' and 'Reserve for Collection' and found they are doing a 10% off everything deal right now (not sure how long for though) so final price is £152.99.

For that sort of price it's worth picking up the radio now and holding onto it for a month until I get the car.

Only problem is Halfords aren't listing the facia adaptors on their website so may need to get that somewhere else, but I have a month to sort that out and will check at the store when I collect the radio.

Question re the Aygo built-in Speakers

I'm getting the '+' model with the 4 main Speakers, how good/bad are they ?

Another Question

Does the Aygo have the ability to provide a 'GALA speed pulse' ?

Don't know what a "GALA" speed pulse is, but there IS a

speed-signal available behind the instrument cluster and

most systems seem to be able to work with it...

• 1 year later...

Don't know what a "GALA" speed pulse is, but there IS a

speed-signal available behind the instrument cluster and

most systems seem to be able to work with it...

I know this is an old thread, but picked up a new Aygo Black this morning and put a Becker Cascade in it, and need to find a speed pulse signal, anyone tell me where it is??

Thanks.

Blaupunkt ( bluepoint ) is made by bosche top quality,had their melbourne radio in my passat for 15 years terrific reception and not a bit trouble with it.

was origenal equipment in the car.